Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bad GT flare install? Look at the front flare...., looks strange and unbalanced..blue GT car on Craigslist
Mueller
post Aug 5 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Car is being used for an advertisment for bodywork and paint on Craigslist..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I don't think it's the angle or that the car is too high.....I'd be pissed if it was my car and it looked that unbalanced (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
fiid
post Aug 5 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

It looks to me like the wheel is to far forward... Bent A-arm or something?

+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 5 2006, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

My GT flares look a little off too. I think it's "normal" to have the wheel a little to the front of the opening, but probably not THAT much. I have a "24 Heurs Du Mans" poster, and it looks a little off center there too. Can't get much more authentic than that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 5 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #4

realty check casher

Member No.: 6,273

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 11:30 AM) *

Car is being used for an advertisment for bodywork and paint on Craigslist..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I don't think it's the angle or that the car is too high.....I'd be pissed if it was my car and it looked that unbalanced (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

Ouch, it does look funky. It's Joe's car from Livermore. He got it, it came with poorly installed fiberglass flares. He had the steel ones installed. Maybe they installed the flares to the same opening the FB ones came off. It looked ok in person. It was in a tight garage so I did not get a good side view like in the pic.

I'm not sure if the guy who did the body paint also did the body. I went to see this car in person in the process of considering the painter for one of my cars. Not too bad but not too good either IMHO. The paint or maybe the clearcoat looks too thick in places. Maybe it needs color sanding or something.

I met Joe from an Ebay deal. I bought his MSDS Inc. engine install kit for VW Vanagons. Joe bought Marty's (Mr. MSDS himself) Vanagon Syncro with a 3.2 Carerra engine. I got the kit. Joe put the 3.2 in the blue 1970 914-6 in the pic.

BenT
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 5 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

that is Joes cars???

opps... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've seen the car many times, of course it was on jack stands or the rotissery(sp?)

I think he or his brothers installed the flares...

wonder if he and his brothers will still talk to me??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 5 2006, 01:00 PM
Post #6

realty check casher

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 11:51 AM) *

that is Joes cars???

opps... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've seen the car many times, of course it was on jack stands or the rotissery(sp?)

I think he or his brothers installed the flares...

wonder if he and his brothers will still talk to me??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yep, that's his car. Joe didn't even know the painter was using his car on the ads until I told him a months or so ago. He seems pretty satisfied with the painter's work. He said he delivered it to the painter on a rotisserie. Painter is in some private garage somewhere in Oakland. I've only seen the car painted though reassembled in various stages, so have no idea who installed the flares. It's done now. Nice interior but a little on the light side for me. His new sport mufflers won't be making the neighbors happy.

BenT
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 5 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

I'll have to stop by his house in Livermore and see the car in person....I'll be adding steel GT flares soon (this is why I was checking out the alignment of the flares so much) and then I need to get a paint job....I'm not looking forward to getting the qoutes for a paint job
+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 5 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #8

realty check casher

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 12:15 PM) *

I'll have to stop by his house in Livermore and see the car in person....I'll be adding steel GT flares soon (this is why I was checking out the alignment of the flares so much) and then I need to get a paint job....I'm not looking forward to getting the qoutes for a paint job

I'm thinking about flares. I just got this 914-6. I still can't decide to go wide or stock. Needs a paintjob too. I am not looking forward to paint quotes either.

BenT
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 5 2006, 02:47 PM
Post #9

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 5 2006, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 12:15 PM) *

I'm thinking about flares. I just got this 914-6. I still can't decide to go wide or stock. Needs a paintjob too. I am not looking forward to paint quotes either.

BenT

Mike,

Check out his work"soon", I'm within 3 weeks of body and paint.

Ben,

it's good to see your posts! I spoke to Marty Thursday, he's too busy to post these days.

Felix
+Quote Post
JPB
post Aug 5 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #10

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Ouchy! Not the poster perfect shot there.LOL I bet he gives great deals though.LOL

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) After a twelve pack, it looks centernderned then hell.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Aug 5 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #11

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

Mike, wern't you thinking of being a wimp and only installing the rears? Check this Ebay 914, it has only rears click here

+Quote Post
BenT
post Aug 5 2006, 07:00 PM
Post #12

realty check casher

[/quote]

Ben,

it's good to see your posts! I spoke to Marty Thursday, he's too busy to post these days.

Felix
[/quote]

Good to see you here, Felix. Love the neo914. I decided to keep the 73 /04 and now this 70 /6. Remember that silly incident with 75 with the 911T engine and the /4 priced at $914? I gave away all my 914 stuff until I got these last two cars. No regrets as I now have much cleaner cars to start from.

All my best,

BenT
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Aug 5 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 487

Probably made them align with the flared rockers and they are not exactly a good reference! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 5 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #14

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 5 2006, 07:15 PM) *

Probably made them align with the flared rockers and they are not exactly a good reference! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That's what I thought too.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Aug 5 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,782

I think the car looks like the steering is slightly going right, having said that overall sounds like a nice 914.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 6 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you use the flared rockers as a reference point for the fenders you will not be centered on the wheels. All the flared rockers are off by about 1-2 inches. I centered my steel flares on the wheel opening. I took a set of AIR flares(pos) and spliced them on another set of fiberglass rockers to make everthing line up.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Aug 6 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,590

Attached ImageDepends on the rockers that you get. I used the dimensions that were measured off a 916 and a 914GT and everything lined up as it should. Check the dimesions on centering over the wheel opening vs. these. I bought several different sets of rockers before I got ones that were right.

+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Aug 6 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #18

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

I bought Getty rockers (still in the box). AA claimed they fit the best with their flares Anyone use the Getty's and how close did they fit? Still a month away from installation though.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Aug 6 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey Guys -
It appears to me that the photograph above was not shot from the center of the car, but rather torwards/from the front of the car...
This would definetly give the appearence that the flares were "off" torwards the front of the car - Just go to your own car and look yourself...
Although all the info on this post has been informative, I would like to see a photo of the car shot from a "center" perspective...

just my .02...

Thom
+Quote Post
msglaigaie
post Aug 6 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #20

msglaigaie

Member No.: 3,761
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was looking at the "pink" 914 with rear flares only, and the side marker lights caught my eye. The "surround" on the lens kinda stuck out. Anybody know what they are?? MSG L

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:02 AM