Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dizzy Disassembly, Pin 4 Driver Claw
Gary#
post Aug 15 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,078

The 914 Manual sayz;
"Knock out pin 4 driver claw with a drift". Ahhhh - OK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Huummm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Huummm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) This SUKZ - & the rebuild/shim kit
I got to reset axial play doesn't include a replacement pin. I don't want 2 fuch
this pin up with my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Should I spark up the torch & give it another go - or go to HF & buy a small press?
whatayathink???
Thx, Gary

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 12)
McMark
post Aug 16 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Well known to be a PITA to get out. I gave up the ONLY time I tried. Hopefully someone has had better luck, because I'm curious to see the rest of your rebuild. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 16 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

just use a long straight punch to knock it out. Once you start it, they come out..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post Aug 16 2006, 08:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 16 2006, 06:59 AM) *

just use a long straight punch to knock it out. Once you start it, they come out..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I made a mark on the bottom to I.D. the orientation so it doesn't go back together 180 out.
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Aug 16 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 16 2006, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 16 2006, 06:59 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I made a mark on the bottom to I.D. the orientation so it doesn't go back together 180 out.

-----
Thx - I made a mark too & I'm takin' pics just 2 be safe.
The part I'm having trouble with is the "Once you start it, they come out.." part.
I small press would make this a non-issue.
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Aug 16 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,027

I rebuilt my dizzy and had a lot of trouble getting that pin out. Had to do it twice as I reassemble it 180 degrees off. The bottom part is not very hard metal, I managed to put a few dings in mine and had to file them smooth.

I would recommend against heat, there are some fiber washers in there.
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Aug 16 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #7

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I'm taking this puppy home with me tonite & I'm gonna (IMG:style_emoticons/default/owned.gif) that pin!!!
When I was smacking the drift with my BFH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) last nite & the pin didn't
move - I knew I needed 2 STOP B4 it was too late!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
Nuttin' like having the right tool 4 the job - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Aug 16 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

That pin is a bitch to get out, as it the dizzy tries to spin. I ended up using a vise, screw and a socket. You will also need to get out the c-clip at the top of the dizzy shaft, take out the felt and you can see the clip holding the upper to lower dizzy shaft together.
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Aug 17 2006, 01:47 AM
Post #9

I stopped and bought a 10" arbor press on the way home from werk.
And it was STILL a PITA biotch to get the pin to move - but it finally broke free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Schweet!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 17 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #10

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Where did you get a new bushing kit? Do you know if they had them for 911 dizzies? That would fix my latest problem......hijack over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Aug 17 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2006, 08:57 AM) *

Where did you get a new bushing kit? Do you know if they had them for 911 dizzies? That would fix my latest problem......hijack over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

-----
Evil-One - Cap'n Krusty recommended stoddard.com for the bushing kit -
Cap,n quote: "washers and shims for the shaft were available from stoddard, but you have to order a kit for a 356 cast iron distributor. The shaft bushings are available from some Volvo aftermarket sources."
Thx again Cap'n!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)
-----
I don't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) 'bout 911 dizziez - maybe the Cap'n will chime in...??
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Sep 27 2006, 09:43 AM
Post #12

almost not a newbie ( way less than a newbie)

Member No.: 6,038
Region Association: None

QUOTE("7" @ Aug 17 2006, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 17 2006, 08:57 AM) *

-----
Evil-One - Cap'n Krusty recommended stoddard.com for the bushing kit -
Cap,n quote: "washers and shims for the shaft were available from stoddard, but you have to order a kit for a 356 cast iron distributor. The shaft bushings are available from some Volvo aftermarket sources."

That is for the 205 dizzy right???

And does anybody know the Volvo part number or name?
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Sep 27 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 16 2006, 11:00 AM) *

That pin is a bitch to get out, as it the dizzy tries to spin. I ended up using a vise, screw and a socket. You will also need to get out the c-clip at the top of the dizzy shaft, take out the felt and you can see the clip holding the upper to lower dizzy shaft together.

IIRC, Krusty told us that the best way to remove the c-clip was to hit the top of the shaft with a drift and it would pop off. Anyone ever actually do this?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 07:12 PM