Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Classifieds, should they be read only?, as in, only the seller can post in his ad ...
Classifieds, should they be read only?
simple, should only the seller be allowed to post in his own ad?
YES [ 59 ] ** [36.42%]
NO [ 100 ] ** [61.73%]
What Classifieds? We have Classifieds? [ 3 ] ** [1.85%]
Total Votes: 162
Guests cannot vote 
SirAndy
post Aug 17 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

this has come up before and again lately. some people complain about how other members jump in and bash their cars in for sale ads without knowing *anything* about the car. they've never seen it in person but believe it's only worth half what the seller is asking and they go ahead and bash the guy into the ground.
mind you, they also never had any intensions of buying the car in the first place ...

so, the question has been raised:

should only the seller be allowed to post in his own ad?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Andy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
G e o r g e
post Aug 17 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #2

Dr

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

Wouldn't that just cause these cars to be discussed in the Garage?

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 17 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I clicked no but... maybe for cars. I think the give and take is needed in the parts section. E.G.: "Parting Out" can be a lengthy exchange (especially if Slits gets involved) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

"WTB" is another example... yes, that can be handled through PM's but, there's some value in checking responses.

Moreover we should have a small understanding and agreement that people cruising or trolling the cars for sale should keep their mouths firmly shut when considering critiquing someone else’s car for sale. That's just poor upbringing.

It can be a tough one though... say someone is trying to sell a rust bucket and you've already done a PPI for another lister. The car is listed as pristine yet you know the hell holes are MIA and the Longs are Swiss cheese... we've never been a group to let someone take advantage of one of our own.

Talk amongst yourselves... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post Aug 17 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725

Ideas:
  • Have a switch that the author can lock the post
  • Classified adds then split again between read only and replies welcome (I know, bad idea)
  • Only folks with post of more than nnnn allowed to reply (so no "torpedoes")
Not sure the board can do any of that, but, just some ideas I thought I'd throw out there. I'm not selling anything either, so take my opinion for what it's worth.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 17 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

A hard call. I'd say that while there is a potential for abuse by other members, there's also just as much a potential for abuse by the seller that needs to be called BS. Also, if they were read-only, the seller would be answering the same question N times via PM, rather than once to the thread.

Can this be made an option at post time easily?
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 17 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

I voted that they should be locked down and only available to the seller to post and reply to. The classifieds are for posting stuff for sale or stuff wanted. It should not be a venue for discussion. That's what the garage is for.

I look at the past to see what has worked well. My memories of how the 914 CLub classifieds used to be are lasting.

You can't publicly respond to a newspaper ad or an ebay listing. What purpose does it serve here?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 17 2006, 05:03 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE(Part Pricer @ Aug 17 2006, 03:56 PM) *

I voted that they should be locked down and only available to the seller to post and reply to. The classifieds are for posting stuff for sale or stuff wanted. It should not be a venue for discussion. That's what the garage is for.

I look at the past to see what has worked well. My memories of how the 914 CLub classifieds used to be are lasting.

You can't publicly respond to a newspaper ad or an ebay listing. What purpose does it serve here?

There are plenty of times I've WANTED to reply to a newspaper ad. Ebay gives you (the seller) the option to post the Q&A that goes on between buyer and seller. Plenty of people do ask the seller questions, and they frequently get posted back to the listing via an Ebay feature (if the seller wants).

Personally, I don't want to see classified discussions moved to the garage. Now you've just split the thread, and you have to refer to both. PITA.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Aug 17 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #8

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Great subject for discussion, I’m sure everyone has an opinion on this one way or another.

For the record I voted no. Pelican has gone to no comments on the cars for sale section mainly because of 3d party bashing of cars for sale. I would rather see a moderator remove inappropriate posts than cut out conversation entirely. Sometimes people inadvertently over price items, and other times they are gougers trying to take advantage of someone. I never mind someone’s informed opinion on something I’m selling. Part of the responsibility of selling something is to be informed about what you are offering, and there is nothing wrong with someone pointing out a misrepresentation or inadvertent error.

If you look, most of the comments from a 3d party are things like:

“bump for a great deal, this won’t last long” or
“I’ve seen this car, and whoever buys it will be very happy, I’m jealous”.

By turning off the comments, there is no way to protect fellow members from someone out to make a quick buck. Selling a car to a fellow club member is kind of like selling to family. We all know that there is no such thing as a prefect 914, and of course if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. As long as everyone makes a sincere effort to honestly represent what they are selling, then they won’t mind comments.

I sold a 911 roller to a guy on Pelican, and now due to personal issues, he’s reselling. His ad is horrible, and I’d love to chime in and fill in the blanks, but I can’t reply to the post. Too bad, it’s a nice car.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 17 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I see plenty of positive third party posts in the classifieds. I say leave it the way it is.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 17 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #10

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I voted "NO". Even with eBay you can email the seller with questions, though these are not generally seen by the audience (haven't figured out why some are & some aren't).
If a potential buyer has questions that other potential buyers may benefit from, they should be seen. Don't know how to keep "bashers" from interfacing. Of course, the potential buyer could PM the seller, but those results would be blind to the rest of the audience.
My suggestion would be to aggressively chastise the bashers or delete thier posts (sorry Eric). Or......just leave it alone.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Aug 17 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #11

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

it sounds like a double edge sword.....
there are advantages to both ideas...
but i prefer the open forum for for the posts left to potential purchasers....
and save the redundancy of answering the same questions...
but at the same time the needless bashing of products or cars, kinda pisses me off...if you don't have the cash or interest simply don't post.....i guesse a discretion ruling could be implemented.....
my three cents.....thats 2.4 usd cents
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Aug 17 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #12

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) if they do get closed to responses make it like the "ebay auctions and 914 stuff" page ,where no one can respond ,not even the poster. and the ad expires after 10 days, then they can repost

no more 12 hr (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Aug 17 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Can you simply block the offenders?

Sometimes it's good to read what other ask. But yeah just ripping into a car is kinda silly.
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Aug 17 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #14

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

The reason that the questions show on some E-Bay auctions and not others is that the seller can choose whether to do so on each reply.

I think they should be locked. At least for cars.

Most forums people make comments about the cars or bikes without any real knowlege of the car or bike (or in some cases values in general)

Make it so that the seller can edit or reply, that way if they get repeated questions they can edit.

If somebodys ad is really out of line, just PM them... Realistically, just because one person thinks the price is high, doesn't mean it really is.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 17 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #15

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Eric nailed the thoughts I had on this exactly...

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 17 2006, 03:48 PM) *

...I think the give and take is needed in the parts section. E.G.: "Parting Out" can be a lengthy exchange...

"WTB" is another example... yes, that can be handled through PM's but, there's some value in checking responses.

Moreover we should have a small understanding and agreement that people cruising or trolling the cars for sale should keep their mouths firmly shut when considering critiquing someone else’s car for sale. That's just poor upbringing.

It can be a tough one though... say someone is trying to sell a rust bucket and you've already done a PPI for another lister. The car is listed as pristine yet you know the hell holes are MIA and the Longs are Swiss cheese... we've never been a group to let someone take advantage of one of our own.

The moderators already put in a lot of their own time, but... IF they don't mind, I think the best solution is for them to police it. If someone posts something inappropriate, delete the post and PM them, pasting in some text that explains what they did wrong. Hopefully the problem will be reduced to the occasional newbie.

Sounds like that forum should have a nailed and locked topic that lays out the rules (like the parts forum has).
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 17 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #16

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

I think Slits should be banned from posting.

Ron

I think Ron should stick a stick up his ass.

Slits

Listen you uneducated bastard son of Joseph Smith, you never contribute anything but trash and it has to come to an end.

Ron

Oh stick it you lizard weenied do-gooder. Nobody needs your opinion on anything. Why don't you just ban yourself from this site before I come over and kick your ass?

Slits

Bring it on little fella. I'll tie one hand behind my back an still kick your ass. Hell, I might even let the salmon crowd take care of my light work.

Ron

Well, if you're gonna take that direction, I'm just gonna stop posting and leave this non-club.

Slits

Too late asshole, I left before you.

Ron

No you didn't.

Slits

Yes, I did

Ron

+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Aug 17 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #17

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think I've seen this responce twice and agree that there should be a button to check allowing responce from others or lock it for none. Leave it up to the seller.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) time for dinner... UUUuuummmm Ribs!

....b
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 17 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #18

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

I voted NO.
If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
Internet discussion board are always sure to have smart @$$ comments and trash talk. Pelican is a parts business so thier web experience should be more professional. If half the car sellers did thier research they would post lots of photos of the trouble spots in the first place and avoid all the poking and prodding by the regular tire kickers. If no replies were allowed in the parts section it would be very bad...some people don't use PMs so, umm, whatever (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 17 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110

The moderators already put in a lot of their own time, but... IF they don't mind, I think the best solution is for them to police it.

If I get a PM on a bad post... I act. No problems. In fact, I already went in a did some cleaning. I didn't notice anything really bad... I've yet to really get into the cars posts though.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 17 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Keep it open. I hate that Pelican has shut theirs off to the "seller" only. It allows for general questions about the car to be aired for all and for all to benefit. It also helps form a better sense of the car for sale, even if no one has seen it personally other than the seller as well as gives a better sense of the seller. How he/she responds on the web could be indicative of how they respond in person. Who wants to give their money to an A$$ ? . Risk=Reward=Sale
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 02:38 PM