Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 6 vs 4
914fan
post Oct 31 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,460

How do a 200hp 6 and a 200hp 4 drive compared to eachother. I know there are several ways to get 200hp out or either. I am interested in a daily driver 200hp 6 or 4. Does anybody have any dyno charts of these? Is the 6 more peaky? is the 4 more torquE? Type IV and Porsche 6 please.

I am not trying to start a flame war. I am just looking for information cause I found an empty spot in my brain, and I need to fill it before something else goes in there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
porschecb
post Oct 31 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,529
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 31 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Displacement makes a big difference. A 2 liter producing 200hp will be peaky whether 4 or 6.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 31 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914fan @ Oct 31 2006, 09:20 AM) *

I am not trying to start a flame war

simple. if you have a /4 and you put a /6 in it, you WILL die! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

IMHO, the main difference is in the location of the powerband, a /4 with similar HP output will be more responsive on a tight AX course, a /6 with similar HP output will outrun a /4 on the big track.

for the street, it ain't matter much. i drove my 1.8/1.7 /4 for years and didn't feel like i was missing out on anything.

a big /6 is fun to drive. so is a big /4. meaning, this debate is kind of useless.

dyno charts alone don't make for a enjoyable drive around the twisty backroads, never paid much attention to them ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Oct 31 2006, 11:42 AM
Post #5

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

i think it all comes down to cost. a six conversion is cheaper than most big 4's

depending on where you order parts, and who does the build

or you could always go SUBY (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 31 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Oct 31 2006, 09:42 AM) *

i think it all comes down to cost. a six conversion is cheaper than most big 4's

depending on where you order parts, and who does the build

Ah, but a big 4 is going to be a nearly new motor while a six usually is not new.

I think the cost is all relative depending on what you are doing or who is doing it.

4 have a more flat torque starting more down in the rpms range while 6's usually have a higher rpm range with their hp/torque high too.

Jake is working on changing all this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mountain914
post Oct 31 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #7

Too much time in thin air!

Member No.: 725
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Not sure on "how they drive" - but would y'all consider a 200hp 4 to be "high strung" as a daily driver ? I.E. I would think (IMHO) I would trust more road trips with a 200hp 6 over a 200hp 4. However, Bleysing makes a good point on "newness" but I would say you would build either one up "new" I would choose the 6 (all on the assumption high horse 4 needs higher compression, better gas, runs hotter, etc.. etc..)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Oct 31 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #8

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

This is the kind of question that begs for a vague answer.

Both 4's and 6's can be built reliably. Simply put, it all depends on what quality of parts you use, quality of assembly, etc. Both can be built to produce a good, linear torque and hp curve. Both can be built to idle high and bring the power on high, or keep it down low.

I guess what I'm saying is, tell us what your pocketbook says, and we'll tell you which is more affordable.

An original 6cyl car with a bigger motor maintains it's value much better than a converted 4cyl car, an unconverted 4cyl car can have a big-displacement 4cyl engine and still maintain it's value for being unmolested. It all depends on what your endgame goal is and your budget.
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Oct 31 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,842

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
Brother
post Oct 31 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,110

Wouldn't the four be lighter with a potentially (slightly) lower CG due to the 911's fan and induction?
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Oct 31 2006, 02:51 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

The car will be easily 100lbs lighter (4vs6), obviously that means apples to apples in other weight reduction (if any).

It's all down to what you prefer.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 31 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Oct 31 2006, 10:50 AM) *

Not sure on "how they drive" - but would y'all consider a 200hp 4 to be "high strung" as a daily driver ? I.E. I would think (IMHO) I would trust more road trips with a 200hp 6 over a 200hp 4. However, Bleysing makes a good point on "newness" but I would say you would build either one up "new" I would choose the 6 (all on the assumption high horse 4 needs higher compression, better gas, runs hotter, etc.. etc..)

What is changing in the 4 engine world is the availablity of high quality parts.
These are or will be here shortly:
Nickies- Nikasil cylinders even better quality than the 911 ones
Rods- high quality rods better in quality than stock
Pistons- of course better ones
Cams- lots of good cams now that don't go flat
Lifters- anything from good stock replacements, ceramic, or soon roller lifters.
Heads- New castings that are CNC'd to perfection with seats that don't drop out

Sure this will cost money but a hipo 200hp 4 that will last 100k.
yes, it will need a oil cooler but so does a six over a 2.4L 130hp.

+Quote Post
john rogers
post Oct 31 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 391

Since I have raced both here is my take on it. The 2.8L four was easier to drive as the torque came on earlier than the 2.2L six. Both had 185 HP at the rear wheels where the four made it at 4800 RPM with long stroke, the six made it at 6000 RPM. The six lasted 22 race weekends before breaking a rod this past spring while the four would get two races before needing work. In the cost race, the six is way ahead over time. Now remeember, this is racing with 4 to 6 30 minute full bore sessions a weekend which is much different than street driving and occasional auto-x use so it is much harder on the engine internals. The engines both had pretty good hardware, with the four having Pauter forged rods, forged crank, custom heads with titanium valves and dual springs, etc. The six was made with mostly Porsche racing components except for the 906 grind cams.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 31 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I think that 6 is better than 4. Most girlfriends would agree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I feel bad for those of you with small bore 4's...LOL

B
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 31 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Go ahead and lock this one up- there is bound to be no good from it for anyone, there never is.

The two can't be compared.. Nothing about them or their characteristcs are the same..

And not all /4s are the same- some are totally different than others.. Its very hard for most tuners to get 200 REAL HP from a -4 thats not a grenade, development is the only way we do it...

I haven't built an engine all year that made less than 150 ponies on my dyno..

I'm going over to my forums to finish some tech articles- see ya'll later.. Have fun
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 31 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #16

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

If I didn't find such a deal on my small six, I think I would have shopped for a $4-6k 3.0 SIX. Spend about $3k to convert.

Last time we heard, I thought 200HP FOUR's are over $15k plus and need constant care or they will suffer. ( explode )

the 115-150 hp FOURs last longer, but that's not 200hp, now is it?

If ( when ) my SIX blows to bits, I'll find that used 3.0 with a warranty and keep moving.

KT
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 31 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #17

Aircooled Baby!

I said "soon".

roller lifters will help alot to be 200hp and last.

If ya want big, get 8.
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Oct 31 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #18

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 31 2006, 03:43 PM) *

Go ahead and lock this one up- there is bound to be no good from it for anyone, there never is.

The two can't be compared.. Nothing about them or their characteristcs are the same.

I don't claim to know a fraction of what you all know about these cars, but the above statement (which I see on the board all the time) simply doesn't ring true to me. It's not comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing cars to cars. Are you really saying that after driving a ~200HP 4 for a half hour, then driving a ~200HP 6 for a half hour, the two experiences cannot be compared? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Not trolling here. I'm just one of the many less-experienced folks on this board who I'm sure would love to hear some informed opinions on this topic. I think it's a great question, and I have a feeling that more folks on the board will have educated, experienced feedback for 914fan...so hey Mr. Admin, don't lock this thread just yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lava
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 31 2006, 08:27 PM
Post #19

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Oct 31 2006, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 31 2006, 03:43 PM) *

The two can't be compared.. Nothing about them or their characteristcs are the same.

I don't claim to know a fraction of what you all know about these cars, but the above statement (which I see on the board all the time) simply doesn't ring true to me. It's not comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing cars to cars. Are you really saying that after driving a ~200HP 4 for a half hour, then driving a ~200HP 6 for a half hour, the two experiences cannot be compared? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Not trolling here. I'm just one of the many less-experienced folks on this board who I'm sure would love to hear some informed opinions on this topic. I think it's a great question, and I have a feeling that more folks on the board will have educated, experienced feedback for 914fan...so hey Mr. Admin, don't lock this thread just yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Lava

the fours hp/torque are at lower revs!
the sixes hp/ torque are at higher revs!

thats the difference.

How does it feel? You have to rev out the six more. big deal.

The difference has been is the fact that the 200hp six is factory and the four are custom.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 1 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #20

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

It all depends on displacement. I had a 3.0 SC engine with Webers, and you could start from a dead stop in 3rd gear. It wasn't peaky, but pulled hard until you hit the rev limiter. Those engines have that much torque. There was no problem starting in 2nd. I've drove a couple of 3.2's (Motronic injection) and they were the same way, loads of torque through the entire range.

The smaller displacement sixes are indeed peaky, but those that I know who have such an engine, like the rev factor. You get over 4k rpm and they zing!

Driveability depends on matching the engine to the gearing.

I don't know about the big fours, although I'd love to drive a few.

What's my line here Trekkor? "I don't know anyone who has converted to a six and wishes they have just built a big four".

I respect Jake and everything he's doing, and believe me he knows his stuff.

This issue with 914's is you have a choice to put a Porsche flat six in your car, and for many of us that is very desireable. It is getting much easier and affordable to convert a 914 to a six, better parts, more guys with experience to help, etc.

With a Bug, the best choice is in fact the best air cooled flat four, the type 4.

The fact that the 914 offers us these choices also provides for an endless arguement; four or six.

It's your car do as you wish. You'll find lots of arguements to go both ways.

If it's opinions you want, then my opinion is without hesitation to go with a six.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:14 PM