Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> subie engine
914 subie
post Nov 18 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,233

I recently purchased a 72 914 in a big basket, but with a cherry body. I'm thinking of putting a subie engine in it , but I would like to take a look at one already completed. Any in the SF Bay Area that I could take a look at?
Been on different websites and seen some Renegade conversions but would like to see the real deal and find out how much aggro is really involved.
Email me at hansenjoel@yahoo.com or phone 415/516-8217 (cell). Thx. JH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
grantsfo
post Nov 19 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914 subie @ Nov 18 2006, 09:58 PM) *

I recently purchased a 72 914 in a big basket, but with a cherry body. I'm thinking of putting a subie engine in it , but I would like to take a look at one already completed. Any in the SF Bay Area that I could take a look at?
Been on different websites and seen some Renegade conversions but would like to see the real deal and find out how much aggro is really involved.

Get a hold of carreraguy on this board. His subie conversion is incredible. If I wanted a street car I'd go with similar set up to his car.
+Quote Post
smooth_eddy
post Nov 20 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,102

By the way.......welcome to the club (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) . Or non club? Eddy
+Quote Post
fat73
post Nov 27 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #4

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

I did my own conversion using mostly Renegade parts. If you have questions PM me and I'll PM my contact info back to you.

Ed aka W9R1

http://community.webshots.com/user/fat73
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Nov 28 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #5

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

Hi!
I'll email you soon.
Tom
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Nov 28 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Is there a list of the Subie engines or models that will work in the 914 style conversion this thread is about?
Info is not for me but for the rest of the teeners that would like to see that kind of info so they can look and probably find in their own area junkyards.

MikeCool
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Nov 28 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,469

QUOTE(cooltimes @ Nov 28 2006, 10:34 AM) *

Is there a list of the Subie engines or models that will work in the 914 style conversion this thread is about?
Info is not for me but for the rest of the teeners that would like to see that kind of info so they can look and probably find in their own area junkyards.

MikeCool

This is from the Renegade Hybrids website. Renegade Hybrids

EJ18: Found in Imprezas from 1993-1997. Rated at 110hp and 120 ft-lbs
EJ22 Phase I: Found in Legacies from 1990-1998 and Imprezas from 1995-1998. Comes rated at 130hp and 137 ft-lbs, 135hp and 140 ft-lbs, or 137hp and 145 ft-lbs.
EJ22 Phase II: Found in Legacies in 1999 and Imprezas from 1999-2001. Rated at 142hp and 149 ft-lbs.
EJ22-T Phase I: Found in Sport Sedan and Touring Wagons (Legacies) from 1990-1994. Turbocharged and non-intercooled. Rated at 160hp and 181 ft-lbs. Closed deck, cast pistons, forged rods, oil squirters: turbo motor. Poor flowing heads.
EJ25 DOHC Phase I: Found in Legacies from 1996-1999, Imprezas in 1998, and Foresters in 1998. Rated at either 155hp and 140 ft-lbs in 1996 or 165hp and 162 ft-lbs in 1997-1999.
EJ25 SOHC Phase II: Found in Legacies from 2000+, Imprezas from 1999+, and Foresters from 1999+. Rated at 165hp and 166 ft-lbs. There was a slight compression ratio change from 1999-2000 where it went from 9.7:1 to 10.0:1.
USDM EJ20: US Domestic Market WRX. Found in 2002+ WRXs. Rated at 227hp and 217 ft-lbs. Turbocharged, intercooled, open deck, and decent heads.
EJ25T DOHC: Available in 2004 in the Forester XT. Rated at 210hp and 235 ft-lbs. Turbocharged, intercooled, VVTi (Variable Valve Timing), and drive by wire.
EJ25T-STi DOHC: Available in 2004 in the WRX STi. Rated at 300hp and 300 ft-lbs. Turbocharged, intercooled, AVCS (Active Valve Control System), drive by wire, intercooler sprayer, and semi-closed design.
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Nov 28 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Now on larger rolling jack stands!

Member No.: 4,510

I know of several on the board that have opted for the EJ25 Single Overhead Cam motor, one being myself. The SOHC motor is supposed to be a little more bullet proof and durable. Its also easy enough to add turbo later if you get the extra power bug...
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 28 2006, 02:03 PM
Post #9

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

http://www.smallcar.com/index.html?tmx=10208
http://www.kennedyeng.com/index.htm
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/

here are some good links
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Nov 28 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Thanks for everyone interested in 914Suby's.
This link may not do any posters replying in here any good but over on the East coast, PA region, yesterday I saw 5 on this link for sale starting at $90 for the whole car.
http://www.salvagedirect.com/

MikeCool

+Quote Post
Literati914
post Nov 29 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Do the subie conversions utilize an external oil tank like the /6 conversion do.. or is it all self contained in the engine and have an oil pan?

Doug C
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 29 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

Self contained - the block uses an oil pan
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Nov 29 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #13

And is an external oil cooler needed? These engines will need a coolant radiator up front, right? Sorry, I've never paid much attention to these engines until recently.

Doug C
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Nov 29 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #14

Not sure that an oil cooler is NEEDED but its probably not a bad idea. There are several radiator theories and ideas going around. Tony is trying one in the engine bay, someone layed one flat in the front trunk, but most opt for the Renegade style setup with direct air flowing straight through from the front like a conventional radiator. Air must escape either through the inner fender wells or the front hood....
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Nov 29 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #15

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

And is an external oil cooler needed? These engines will need a coolant radiator up front, right? Sorry, I've never paid much attention to these engines until recently.

No, Yes and no. No oil cooler is needed, but a radiator is needed. It doesn't have to be a front mounted radiator though. I currently have my radiator in the engine bay, as do two others.

In my case I am going to put a radiator up front because I don't get the cooling I want under tough conditions (running the motor really hard in hot weather). If you don't plan to autocross, race, or do hard mountain driving you can probably get away with an engine bay-mounted radiator.

I don't know of anyone who has tried to do a dry sump on a Subaru motor for a 914. Even in the Subaru world I believe the dry-sump concept is rarely used.

-Tony
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Nov 30 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #16

Driving impressions - anyone here who's had (or atleast driven) both subie and porsche/6 converted cars? Idle...noise...acceleration..general feel?

Doug C
+Quote Post
mrdezyne
post Nov 30 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #17

I was fortunate to get a ride with Ed (fat73) in his turbo WRX conversion. Let me just say it was a PERMAGRIN machine. There was something really cool about that blow-off valve going PSST PSST right behind your head. The same night I also rode with VegasRacer in Elvira which is a VERY nice 6. Once again, face was sore from smiling so much. I think either way you would be happy, for most of us it came down to the bang for the buck. Building a Porsche 6 is $$$$$ey, the subie can be had for much less and provide the same kind of fun...

Go to your next local SCCA event and see if you can coax a ride with a WRX owner, there is sure to be one there and some drivers are glad to let you ride along. Take a change of shorts...
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Nov 30 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #18

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771

Mine hauls ass, looks great and it is reliable as hell. Gets decent gas mileage ~30mph. If you do this swap, I highly recommend Crawford performance located in Oceanside California to tune the engine and ECU. I easlily break the back loose wherever I want. This week, I ran a modified Trans-Am (the one with the tunnel ram scoops the last year they were made). He passed me on the highway blipped the throttle to let me know he wanted some. I downshifted to 3rd at about 80mph and floored it. The trans-am could not pull me. He was impressed enough to roll down his window and give the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) and told me how fast my car is. Pretty funny to put a pretty fast car in its place with an old 914 with a 4 cylinder!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Nov 30 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #19

exhaust note at idle?.... I know it depends on muffler choice alot but generally speaking, what does it sound like. Also, what's the sound like when under full throttle (compared to the porsche)?

Doug C
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Nov 30 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #20

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

I'm using a 2.5 liter non-turbo Subaru engine and my exhaust is a bit unconventional. I have one small muffler for each side of the engine. No crossover pipe yet, but thats something I want to do eventually.

Right now at idle its very quiet. Doesn't have much sound to speak of. A lot like a modern car. At moderate RPMs it sounds something like a cross between a Harley and a Subaru with its loppy sound. At high RPMs and WOT it screams like a racecar. Hard to describe the sound, I suppose I should make some recordings.

-Tony
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:47 PM