Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> two types of cv joints?
dmenche914
post Dec 4 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

this is second time I have run into an early 1970 914 with samll CV joints. The jooints are same ont he outside but one type has smaller ball bearings in it. I have found a partial set of small balled CV joints only on two early 914's.

The only marks on the small balled CV's are the VW logo, and the number 3 under it.

Does anyone know if smaller balled CV's were stock on early 914's?

Did CV's change in pn or such during 914 production?

thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 4 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

We've recently been through this. Because nearly all auto manufacturers use more than one supplier for many parts, they get what's on hand. If Lobro was doing a run of small-ball CV joints when the order came in, they may have simply drilled the outers for the pins and shipped 'em. Splines are the same, outers are the same, functionality is the same, and they obviously met the specs called out in the contract, so they used 'em. Another possibility is they came from another supplier. Doesn't matter, as units, they're mix 'n match. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
PinetreePorsche
post Dec 4 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,124

I'm not sure how much sharing went on between the VW and Porsche people on these items, But I do recall that when I bought a used earlly-70s VW transporter/ van/ bus transmission in a metro area to take to a friend living on the Navajo reservation, we discoverted that we had two different sized of balls/assemblies. Sounds like a patttern. Guess I should look in the shed for an old van spare cv I think I still have there and see if it matches those on my 72 and 73 '14s. -Chris H
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 11:45 AM