Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru not your thing? BASH HERE., instead of hijacking other threads, here is one just for the case
WRX914
post Apr 27 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #1

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ok, Porschefiles....

Use this thread to bash non-Porsche powered 914's.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
WRX914
post Apr 27 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #2

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

I will start...

My car is a huge piece of shit.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 27 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

i say that we should preserve the porsche marque, by keeping the cars as original as possible, and enjoying them that way....man, that was deep..(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Apr 27 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Subaru conversions are wrong.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scottb
post Apr 27 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #5

who wants a PEZ?!

Member No.: 32

i just bought a new outback and i have a 914. does this mean i am wrong? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Apr 27 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

So are Chevy conversions, what is this world coming to? Why screw with a successful combination? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Apr 27 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The 914 is a wonderful car, woefully misunderstood from the get-go. I personally like a car as original as possible. But I value the fact that people are able to make this little wonder into their own project. And I think we all need to accept all manners and forms of conversions and STICK TOGETHER.

First there was the BIG SPLIT just before I arrived at this site. Now there's internal bickering about something that's not worth bickering about. Truth is, they are all 914's whether they are electric, V8, V6, flat 6, etc. etc.

We should all agree to disagree and not get more divided than we already are!

Paul
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 27 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,922

I think that it is cool that people are experimenting and putting what ever they want in a 914. I always thought it would be fun to do a v-8 conversion, since I am also a chevy enthusiast. It creates a whole market and opens the doors of creativity... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I personally really like going all porsche for the 914, it doesn't seem like it is much more expensive. I guess that's until you get into rebuilding a porsche flat-six. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Edit: I do think that Subaru conv's are way cool, but its not fair, they come with a turbo. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Apr 27 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

One of my many opinions against these stupid conversions is here-
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=57294&st=0

I have several other bashes against subaru and v-8 conversions sprinkled around the board, but this is one of my favorites.
+Quote Post
andys
post Apr 27 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

The as-is 914 is really a neat little car. I bought a new one in '73 (blk/blk 2.0, AC, Koni, appearance grp.) and really enjoyed it. By *then* standards, it was reasonably well powered and handled better than just about any other car. My GF hated the car, oh well.

Instead of re-living my memories, I chose a conversion this time around. That doesn't change my opinion however. An un-converted 914 is still a neat car.

Andys
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 27 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #11

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

My opinion is - it's your 914! Do what you wish with it.

Put a subbie, chebby, Ford, Ferrari in it (now THAT would be interesting). I'd lean towards staying away from motorcyles engines, though.

Here's how you're helping us purists. Another potential classic removed from the nest.

Once you've made all the chassis changes, you (or the subsequent sap) can't go back without spending HUGE money. The car is as good as dead. Witness the Chevy engined 914 that's been on eBay for the last 3 months & can't get a bid above $1500. It's been bastardized. It's not a 914 - it's a nothing! Well, it WAS a money pit.

So, have your fun. Reduce the saleable list, so our resale values can increase. Just seems a shame, since the money could have been spent actually INCREASING your resale value, instead of destroying it.

However, you are free to do what you like with your, err 914. Those of us who are purists thank you for takingone more 914 out of the potential sale basket.

Have fun! Waste your money!

+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Apr 27 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #12

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 27 2007, 05:28 PM) *

My opinion is - it's your 914! Do what you wish with it.

Put a subbie, chebby, Ford, Ferrari in it (now THAT would be interesting). I'd lean towards staying away from motorcyles engines, though.

Here's how you're helping us purists. Another potential classic removed from the nest.

Once you've made all the chassis changes, you (or the subsequent sap) can't go back without spending HUGE money. The car is as good as dead. Witness the Chevy engined 914 that's been on eBay for the last 3 months & can't get a bid above $1500. It's been bastardized. It's not a 914 - it's a nothing! Well, it WAS a money pit.

So, have your fun. Reduce the saleable list, so our resale values can increase. Just seems a shame, since the money could have been spent actually INCREASING your resale value, instead of destroying it.

However, you are free to do what you like with your, err 914. Those of us who are purists thank you for takingone more 914 out of the potential sale basket.

Have fun! Waste your money!

Very interesting - in one breath you tell us to do what we want and in the next breath you tell us we're wasting our money - is that judgemental or what!! Now tell us what you really think! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Apr 27 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

Woop de doo for your Subaru. I'm sticking a Merlin V12 in mine.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 27 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

I have to jump in here - too much fun to miss. I just picked up the Excellence mag (I've never bought one before because they seem to be to much of the whine and cheese club) to see the Suby swaped 914. The super secret engine cradle was not to be found in print. I guess you have to sign an NDA to buy one from Renegade.

Why would anyone want to replace a worn out leaking VW van engine with a modern version is beyond me. The Suby's only have 165Hp in the weak non-turbo version and you can still buy parts to fix it at the local dealer for a fair price - that's boring. You don't get to adjust the valves every few months - that really sucks. You can get a variety of limited slip diffs and gearsets for the Suby transaxle if you must.

Obviously I like the swaps. I bought my car to do a swap - originally just the engine [a big 6] but I hated the trans so much that it became the main focus. I love the car - "I" don't like the powertrain. If you do great. I sold mine and it's living on in another 914.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Apr 27 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #15

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 27 2007, 09:19 PM) *

Woop de doo for your Subaru. I'm sticking a Merlin V12 in mine.

What ya gonna put on it, a pusher pro (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) AAAAAaaaaaah, nice iron mister!

As for all of you damn subaru, V8, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, 928, and v6 bastages; no soup for you for having a faster car than mine, ya pricks!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Apr 27 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #16

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

If anyone is interested in keeping me from "destroying" another car, feel free to buy it before I do...

Once it's mine I'm converting it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If it makes you feel better, mine probably wont ever make it into Excellence. It's much more about performance than being pretty.

Guess it depends on if you bought the car because it says Porsche on it, or because it's enjoyable to drive???

BJH
+Quote Post
JPB
post Apr 27 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #17

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Good one Hipster. For me its all about windshield time and the level of enjoyment and a 300 HP suby engine only amplifies the experience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
brer
post Apr 27 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

HEADGASKETS!!!! AAAAARGGGGHH.

Ok, I feel better now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 27 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #19

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I love the suby conversion. Scott and Terry Thatcher drove his from coast to coast. He pounded that to death. His was done long before Renagade ever started. Infact I think Renegade Scott looked over Thatchers car when we were in Vegas.

For me it's not about the money. It's a hobby. A way to free my mind from the things that haunt me. Cars and working on them is theropy. I can't help what I do. I think about things. They cause me to stir at night. I need to act on them. There is no amount of money that would stop me from being creative. I need to do it or I will become an empty shell of a man. If I bought a CW 914 tomorrow I would cut it up and make it better by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to... But I could stop myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Apr 27 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 623

Personally,

I like the 914 best when it is left entirely alone and bone stock. I would never consider bastardizing the good porsche name! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 09:27 AM