Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru not your thing? BASH HERE.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
WRX914
Ok, Porschefiles....

Use this thread to bash non-Porsche powered 914's.

mueba.gif type.gif
WRX914
I will start...

My car is a huge piece of shit.
jonferns
i say that we should preserve the porsche marque, by keeping the cars as original as possible, and enjoying them that way....man, that was deep..biggrin.gif
TonyAKAVW
Subaru conversions are wrong.

scottb
i just bought a new outback and i have a 914. does this mean i am wrong? blink.gif
skline
So are Chevy conversions, what is this world coming to? Why screw with a successful combination? confused24.gif
orthobiz
The 914 is a wonderful car, woefully misunderstood from the get-go. I personally like a car as original as possible. But I value the fact that people are able to make this little wonder into their own project. And I think we all need to accept all manners and forms of conversions and STICK TOGETHER.

First there was the BIG SPLIT just before I arrived at this site. Now there's internal bickering about something that's not worth bickering about. Truth is, they are all 914's whether they are electric, V8, V6, flat 6, etc. etc.

We should all agree to disagree and not get more divided than we already are!

Paul
Justinp71
I think that it is cool that people are experimenting and putting what ever they want in a 914. I always thought it would be fun to do a v-8 conversion, since I am also a chevy enthusiast. It creates a whole market and opens the doors of creativity... clap56.gif

I personally really like going all porsche for the 914, it doesn't seem like it is much more expensive. I guess that's until you get into rebuilding a porsche flat-six. biggrin.gif

Edit: I do think that Subaru conv's are way cool, but its not fair, they come with a turbo. cool.gif
sww914
One of my many opinions against these stupid conversions is here-
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=57294&st=0

I have several other bashes against subaru and v-8 conversions sprinkled around the board, but this is one of my favorites.
andys
The as-is 914 is really a neat little car. I bought a new one in '73 (blk/blk 2.0, AC, Koni, appearance grp.) and really enjoyed it. By *then* standards, it was reasonably well powered and handled better than just about any other car. My GF hated the car, oh well.

Instead of re-living my memories, I chose a conversion this time around. That doesn't change my opinion however. An un-converted 914 is still a neat car.

Andys
Pat Garvey
My opinion is - it's your 914! Do what you wish with it.

Put a subbie, chebby, Ford, Ferrari in it (now THAT would be interesting). I'd lean towards staying away from motorcyles engines, though.

Here's how you're helping us purists. Another potential classic removed from the nest.

Once you've made all the chassis changes, you (or the subsequent sap) can't go back without spending HUGE money. The car is as good as dead. Witness the Chevy engined 914 that's been on eBay for the last 3 months & can't get a bid above $1500. It's been bastardized. It's not a 914 - it's a nothing! Well, it WAS a money pit.

So, have your fun. Reduce the saleable list, so our resale values can increase. Just seems a shame, since the money could have been spent actually INCREASING your resale value, instead of destroying it.

However, you are free to do what you like with your, err 914. Those of us who are purists thank you for takingone more 914 out of the potential sale basket.

Have fun! Waste your money!

carreraguy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 27 2007, 05:28 PM) *

My opinion is - it's your 914! Do what you wish with it.

Put a subbie, chebby, Ford, Ferrari in it (now THAT would be interesting). I'd lean towards staying away from motorcyles engines, though.

Here's how you're helping us purists. Another potential classic removed from the nest.

Once you've made all the chassis changes, you (or the subsequent sap) can't go back without spending HUGE money. The car is as good as dead. Witness the Chevy engined 914 that's been on eBay for the last 3 months & can't get a bid above $1500. It's been bastardized. It's not a 914 - it's a nothing! Well, it WAS a money pit.

So, have your fun. Reduce the saleable list, so our resale values can increase. Just seems a shame, since the money could have been spent actually INCREASING your resale value, instead of destroying it.

However, you are free to do what you like with your, err 914. Those of us who are purists thank you for takingone more 914 out of the potential sale basket.

Very interesting - in one breath you tell us to do what we want and in the next breath you tell us we're wasting our money - is that judgemental or what!! Now tell us what you really think! biggrin.gif
blitZ
Woop de doo for your Subaru. I'm sticking a Merlin V12 in mine.

Porcharu
I have to jump in here - too much fun to miss. I just picked up the Excellence mag (I've never bought one before because they seem to be to much of the whine and cheese club) to see the Suby swaped 914. The super secret engine cradle was not to be found in print. I guess you have to sign an NDA to buy one from Renegade.

Why would anyone want to replace a worn out leaking VW van engine with a modern version is beyond me. The Suby's only have 165Hp in the weak non-turbo version and you can still buy parts to fix it at the local dealer for a fair price - that's boring. You don't get to adjust the valves every few months - that really sucks. You can get a variety of limited slip diffs and gearsets for the Suby transaxle if you must.

Obviously I like the swaps. I bought my car to do a swap - originally just the engine [a big 6] but I hated the trans so much that it became the main focus. I love the car - "I" don't like the powertrain. If you do great. I sold mine and it's living on in another 914.
JPB
QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 27 2007, 09:19 PM) *

Woop de doo for your Subaru. I'm sticking a Merlin V12 in mine.

What ya gonna put on it, a pusher pro beer.gif AAAAAaaaaaah, nice iron mister!

As for all of you damn subaru, V8, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6, 928, and v6 bastages; no soup for you for having a faster car than mine, ya pricks!!!! wink.gif
Crazyhippy
If anyone is interested in keeping me from "destroying" another car, feel free to buy it before I do...

Once it's mine I'm converting it biggrin.gif

If it makes you feel better, mine probably wont ever make it into Excellence. It's much more about performance than being pretty.

Guess it depends on if you bought the car because it says Porsche on it, or because it's enjoyable to drive???

BJH
JPB
agree.gif Good one Hipster. For me its all about windshield time and the level of enjoyment and a 300 HP suby engine only amplifies the experience. beer.gif
brer
HEADGASKETS!!!! AAAAARGGGGHH.

Ok, I feel better now. smile.gif
rick 918-S
I love the suby conversion. Scott and Terry Thatcher drove his from coast to coast. He pounded that to death. His was done long before Renagade ever started. Infact I think Renegade Scott looked over Thatchers car when we were in Vegas.

For me it's not about the money. It's a hobby. A way to free my mind from the things that haunt me. Cars and working on them is theropy. I can't help what I do. I think about things. They cause me to stir at night. I need to act on them. There is no amount of money that would stop me from being creative. I need to do it or I will become an empty shell of a man. If I bought a CW 914 tomorrow I would cut it up and make it better by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to... But I could stop myself. blink.gif
wbergtho
Personally,

I like the 914 best when it is left entirely alone and bone stock. I would never consider bastardizing the good porsche name! cool_shades.gif
Porcharu
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 27 2007, 09:24 PM) *

I love the suby conversion. Scott and Terry Thatcher drove his from coast to coast. He pounded that to death. His was done long before Renagade ever started. Infact I think Renegade Scott looked over Thatchers car when we were in Vegas.

For me it's not about the money. It's a hobby. A way to free my mind from the things that haunt me. Cars and working on them is theropy. I can't help what I do. I think about things. They cause me to stir at night. I need to act on them. There is no amount of money that would stop me from being creative. I need to do it or I will become an empty shell of a man. If I bought a CW 914 tomorrow I would cut it up and make it better by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to... But I could stop myself. blink.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
I can't leave anything alone. Even my old Volvo is going to get an engine/trans swap. Hopefully a VW TDI (after the Suby is up and running in the 914.)
914-8
Conversions are teh ghey!

Every time a 914 is converted, god kills a kitten. Won't anyone think of the kittens?!?

It's financial suicide to convert a 914. If you hold onto it for 10 more years, and don't drive it anymore, your $2500 914 may easily be worth DOUBLE that! DOUBLE! Won't you feel like a chump then! Huh!

It's the ultimate act of selfishness. An automobile as rare and as beautiful as a 914 should be preserved for future generations, not driven and used up by our "me me me" generation. It's for the children. Won't anyone think of the children?

69 hp and 155s 4 EVAR!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Apr 27 2007, 08:45 PM) *

Personally,

I like the 914 best when it is left entirely alone and bone stock. I would never consider bastardizing the good porsche name! cool_shades.gif

agree.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif av-943.gif poke.gif av-943.gif
LvSteveH
If Rodney Dangerfield drove a Porsche, it would have to be a 914. They have never gotten much respect and it cracks me up to hear 914 owners talk about them like they are $100k 356's.

I do think it's important to keep nice cars nice, but the fact of the matter is that a majority of 914's have spent 30 years being treated like a VW beetle. That means that many of them are in mediocre condition, and keeping them on the road at all is a benevolent act if I've ever seen one.

With the value of nice very stock 4 cyl. cars going over $15k, very few people would cut a pristine car up to toss in a V8 or suby. More often than not it's the marginal cars that are candidates for conversion.

Most 914 enthusiasts are average working class people, not affluent car collectors. I think it's great that the cars are going up in value and getting more respect by collectors, but being as much VW as Porsche is part of it's legacy. It was sold as an inexpensive, economical sports car, and it should be enjoyed as one.

Anyone who has a super clean, original, low mileage car should also have an average car that they can drive and enjoy on a regular basis. Fortunately, with 100,000 914's made, it means that we can all do with them exactly as we like. It is truly a Porsche for all seasons and personalities. That's what makes them so great.
Justinp71
We should do a west coast 914 drive challenge, you know like consumer reports does with the new cars...

Everyone with every type of 914, that's available (conversion or not), would come and we'll rent a big road course somewhere.

Do 0-60, 0-100-0, slalom...etc.. driving.gif and find out how much each 914 cost to put together. Get a cost vs. performance analysis chart. idea.gif

It'll be like "914-world Road Test", okay whose got the g-tech... biggrin.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 27 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Once you've made all the chassis changes, you (or the subsequent sap) can't go back without spending HUGE money.

Totally false statement. You're obviously unaware of what's actually done in a conversion. Except for a few sheet metal pieces that are easily replaced everything else is bolt on. Suspension changes made are the same you'd do for a six conversion, or even a big four with performance ambitions. Everything is easily reversible in the VERY UNLIKELY case that anyone would ever want to convert back to a four. But nobody goes back, the conversions are too much fun.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 27 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Do me a favor and let ME worry about MY money. YOU don't like to have fun, that's a problem, but it's YOUR problem, not mine. I personally think that there are things that are more important than money. Like having fun with my car. That's what I spent that money for, the fun.

I also think all you "ZISS IS NOT PERMITTED" people need to develop a more realistic perspective. Spend some time cruising the Craig's List and E-Bay 914 ads. You'll see a LOT of tatty four cylinder cars with bad engines that are sawzall candidates. You're welcome to buy them to save, or course, but if you don't then tell me which future you'd prefer for those cars, crusher or conversion?
Joe Ricard
I am not looking to keep my car original, Just fast really fast. If it makes one less original car for you guys that have a bone stock original car worth more COOL
computers4kids
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 27 2007, 09:24 PM) *

I have such mixed feelings when I see the variations of bastardized 914s that have been sliced and diced over the years.

On one hand, it makes me sad that such a neat car has, in my opinion, been ruined--often abandoned to the pages of ebay. Sometimes you have to look close to see if there really was a 914 under all the mods! And I realize, mods are a slipery slope...I'm just as guilty...I've changed motors, added center consoles, etc...am I really any better than the guy or gal who likes to play with their blow torch and welder?

But mostly, I have to agree with Rick, that these 914s are just a great way to have fun, relax, and be creative. In that respect, who cares what mods you do to your car...it is yours and everyone has different tastes...that's OK. As long as your enjoying what your'e doing, and not delusional about ever getting your money out of your project, I say, all-the-power-to-you!

Bottom line...whether your enjoying driving these fun little cars, which to me is the greatest kick of all, or just having a blast releasing your creative juices doing what America's car enthuisasts have done for decades...you're doing just fine. Whatever floats your boat...don't just fixer-up, throw a car cover on it and not drive it.
Allan
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 27 2007, 08:24 PM) *

A way to free my mind from the things that haunt me.

Er, you mean a way to free your wallet from the things that fill it? w00t.gif
So.Cal.914
How dare you mess with perfection, taking out a 100 hp (if were lucky) VW engine

and sticking in a 300 hp, horizontally opposed, porsche designed, low C/G engine

back in. blink.gif Wait that didn't come out right...well... it's water

cooled! mad.gif blink.gif Nevermind...
jimkelly
"" Can't we all just get along ""

the above is an infamous quote by a semi questionable character.

a 914 with a chevy V8 is REDICULOUS - i mean that in a GOOD way : )

but i would not consider a pristine original paint $15k 914 a candidate for this.

on the other hand - if i was gifted with a brand new LS1 and a fully prepped 930 trans and only had a pristine 914 to put it in - hummmmmmmmmmm - that would to a cooonunnnnndrrrrummmmm : )

jimbo - sawzal - kelly
rjames
It's financial suicide to convert a 914. If you hold onto it for 10 more years, and don't drive it anymore, your $2500 914 may easily be worth DOUBLE that! DOUBLE! Won't you feel like a chump then! Huh!

I thought it was financial suicide to buy a 914 in the first place?! confused24.gif

These cars are not good investments- There are many other investment routes that are likely to appreciate more than your 914 will (assuming you're buying it at or near market value to begin with).

All in all, it's your car, DO WHAT YOU WANT! beer.gif

Besides, how many people buy a 914 because it's an investment? I thought that that was just something we told our wives to get 'em on board with the purchase! biggrin.gif
RoninEclipse2G
I want TWO! one original (our 74 LE creamsicle) and another to do a suby conversion. as much fun as the creamsicle is to drive, I would welcome and enjoy a little more reliability that doesn't require constantly monitoring my oil levels, and just to have the freedom to mod and tear apart as I see fit. it's wonderful to have one of the rarest of the rare but I need to play! tear things apart and put them back together again without being afraid that I'm ruining a piece of history.
porschecb
[quote name='RoninEclipse2G' date='Apr 28 2007, 02:46 PM' post='894123']
I want TWO! one original (our 74 LE creamsicle) and another to do a suby conversion. as much fun as the creamsicle is to drive, I would welcome and enjoy a little more reliability that doesn't require constantly monitoring my oil levels, and just to have the freedom to mod and tear apart as I see fit. it's wonderful to have one of the rarest of the rare but I need to play! tear things apart and put them back together again without being afraid that I'm ruining a piece of history.
[/qu

welcome.png
scotty b
So I have this Fiat engine sitting around and a 914 with no drive train........
JPB
So I guess you wanna be called Tony right? wink.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 28 2007, 05:24 PM) *

So I have this Fiat engine sitting around and a 914 with no drive train........

Do you like Horsepower or reliablity less? alfred.gif And talk about glutton for punishment... Yikes chairfall.gif

BJH smilie_pokal.gif
Chuck
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 28 2007, 07:36 AM) *

How dare you mess with perfection, taking out a 100 hp (if were lucky) VW engine

and sticking in a 300 hp, horizontally opposed, porsche designed, low C/G engine

back in. blink.gif Wait that didn't come out right...well... it's water

cooled! mad.gif blink.gif Nevermind...

Forgot: It also weighs less than the 4 or a 6, is more reliable than the old 4s, cheaper to purchase and work on than a 6, has more readily available parts and runs greener. Why in the world would anyone want to do this? mad.gif
LS6/914
Iam really trying to understand the ill will between the purists bootyshake.gif and the conversion group. I have a 70 rust bucket on stands, should I spend more than its resale to make it original or just drop one of my spare DOHC ZR1 motors in it and enjoy? Is Carroll Shelby a bastard for stuffing a FORD 260 in the AC chassis ? I think not! My stand is I love them all. By the way if anyone is looking for a WRX ECU and complete harness (not the block section) I have it. Anyway the purists wont like what Iam going to stuff in a 928. And what Iam going to put the 928 motor into ( Its already been done) OK so lets stuff a SBC in a 32 Duece yall have your shorts on too tight! bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif bootyshake.gif
JPB
agree.gif What I'd like to see is an SBC 914 with a 930 trany pulling a dual axel trailer with a 911 in it. Oh, don't forget trailer brakes.
914werke
Im AC/DC biggrin.gif
When it comes to the LE, its 100% original (& it'll be worth more than $15K)
When it comes to the rusty 73 in the backyard, my imagination and parts stash
are the only limiting factors. thumb3d.gif
WRX914
F'n too funny!

There is a thread started to give it up to Excellence for the 914-Suby article and the presence of the non-converts are up and down the pages tearing down the thought of converted P-cars, yet this thread that was opened for the non-converts has very little conversion bashing! confused24.gif WTF.gif blink.gif

stirthepot.gif
bd1308
Subies go way too fast
TonyAKAVW
Subaru conversions are WAY too easy to maintain.

N14
Did someone on this board actually admit to buying a 914 as an investment WTF.gif

Scary thought what your other investments are av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
JmuRiz
I'm with the school of thought that it's your car/money, do what you want. I'm a fan of the type 4 engine in an original 914/4 myself. If I had a 914/6 I'd be thrilled, if I had a roller and did what I wanted to it...an STi motor would be hard to pass up. As long as it looks and runs well I'm cool with what ever motor is in it.
Brando
If you like "originality", don't bother restoring a 914. They were "originally" made to disintegrate.
Howard
The perfect 914 is a 3.2 6 conversion. Especially with the right body work.

914-6

Click to view attachment

mrdezyne
suby conversions give you wrinkles and make your face hurt...

smile.gif
Luke
Think you guys are right ! .. What the Hell Im I thinking ?..

Big change of plans .. I'm stopping my conversion on my $200 914 .. Think instead I'll go spend 30K on a ground up restoration so I can end up with a 15 grand car ... Yea that's the ticket ...

Then I can squirrel it away in my garage and wait another 10 years when the car will be worth 30 grand ..... laugh.gif

Actually, I'd love to have a stocker .. but it isn't in the cards for this one ... I kind of like that these cars were bastards from day one .. Most folks use the heck out of them and are pretty open to what ever gets them down the road or track....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.