Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rust Repair Help... Minnesota style., I think I'm ready to throw in the towel.
914orRust
post May 3 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,623

Ok. About 2 years ago, I purchased a 74 teener. Since then I've had the engine rebuilt and replaced more parts than I dare list all the while knowing that there is some serious hell hole/rocker panel rust to address. The car isn't sagging yet but I know this is an issue that must be addressed.

To make matters worse... I live in Minnesota and I have no welding skills of my own. Thus far I've contacted a couple random body shops and I've received responses ranging from "no way I'm touching that" to "you need a top off restoration". I know I can't afford a top off restoration.

So, my question to the list is... do I throw in the towel and sell to someone that has welding experience? Is there a solution that does not require a full restoration? Is that option available in Minnesota?

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you may have with this issue.

~Marc
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
smontanaro
post May 3 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914orRust @ May 3 2007, 12:33 PM) *
So, my question to the list is... do I throw in the towel and sell to someone that has welding experience? Is there a solution that does not require a full restoration? Is that option available in Minnesota?

You can always learn how to weld. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Maybe a vocational school auto body or metal working class would be willing to take on the project.

Skip
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 3 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Learn to weld.
It is not that hard (if I can do it, anyone can). When you start laying good welds on sheet metal, it is such a buzz.

Plus, once you figure out that you can actually weld, you start looking for other things that you could weld togethr.

Zach
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 3 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

So how bad is it? A few pictures of the problem may help getting advice.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 3 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

Check with your local community college alot have adult edd classes and welding

is a common one. That or hunt down a Cali tub and put all your stuff on it.

Welding is not that tuff, as long as your penetration is good seam sealer will

cover it. Pretty will come with practice.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 3 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 3 2007, 09:48 AM) *

Learn to weld.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

check and see if someone in your area offers automotive welding classes.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 3 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #7

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) as well. You can learn to do it, it's not too hard to get good enough to fix your car, especially concerning areas that won't be seen. It seems intimidating, but as someone else recommended, take a couple of classes and you'll see that it's totally doable. I took a weekend class, then bought a welder and practiced a bunch before repairing the longs and floorpan on my car. You can do it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All that being said, how much rust do you have? Post some pics. It may be cheaper in the long run to buy a nice tub depending on how bad the areas are...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914orRust
post May 3 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #8

Learning to weld looks like the preferred solution. Thank you all for your contributions.

The car is currently at the shop getting some engine work done. I'll probably swing by and take a couple pics tomorrow. I'd love your advice if this is even fixable.

Thanks again everyone.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 3 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #9

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Most have already said it, learn to weld. Go pick up a cheap flux core mig welder and good 4 1/2" grinder to clean up things. It's mostly labor, not much in parts. Just labor and time.
+Quote Post
914orRust
post May 3 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #10

Ok, you've got me really thinking about getting into the world of welding...

Any recommendations on the type of welder I should purchase? Any preferred retailers?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 3 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You need to stop over to Chappy's house and check out all the welding he did with his small home/shop welder. You can do it. And if you can't figure out how to get started there are some local guy's in the metro than can give you a few pointers.

I'd volenteer but I have a full dance card until late summer/fall.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
yarin
post May 3 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #12

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

I've got an experienced welder that will offer me his services, but I need to do the prep work. Isn't welding only about 10% of the time required for rust repair? I imagine most of the work is removing paint, coatings, cleanup, cutting pieces to size, prep and aligning the new metal. Right?
+Quote Post
balljoint
post May 3 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

First you need to determine whether or not the rust repairs are even worthwhile, whether done by you or a professional. Post some pictures.

If the repairs needed fall under the easy to purchase pre-stamped panels category then it depends on the total cost of the panels and the length of time it will take you to learn to weld and make the repairs the right way. If the repairs are going to require extensive fabrication by you then you need to also look at buying a tub or solid roller.

The best thing I ever did was admit to myself that my first 914 was beyond repair. Then I started looking for a solid car to start with and never looked back

That said, I did learn to weld and it was a lot of fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
dflesburg
post May 3 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,896

Everyone who owns a 914 eventually learns to weld.... and owns jackstands... and learns to say, "It is like owning a boat, those guys never use thier toys either, they just store them."
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 3 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

At 50 I went back to school and took a summer class on body work and welding. I wish I had done this years ago. Sure you screw up and warp some panels and blow some holes in the metal, but it is so much fun.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post May 3 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914orRust @ May 3 2007, 11:55 AM) *

Ok, you've got me really thinking about getting into the world of welding...

Any recommendations on the type of welder I should purchase? Any preferred retailers?

Here's my 2 cents. A welder is a tool that if you buy cheap you will probably get cheap results. This doesn't mean you have to go with the best pro unit available but you want to purchase as much as your budget allows. I personally don't like the flux cored welders. I purchased a Hobart 140 from a local farm/feed store and like it a lot. It works off standard 110v house current and uses shielding gas. I have welded on 2 of 4 GT flares and it works great! Shop around in your area and make sure where ever you plan to purchase they also stock the parts that wear and need replacement ( tips,welding wire etc. ). Also the cost of the welder is just the start, you have to add the shielding gas,probably a cart,welding helmet,gloves,clamps and on and on. My $449.00 welder ended up costing about $650.00 by the time I was done but I have most of the bells and whistles of much higher costing units that will work fine for many years in my application.
+Quote Post
HalM
post May 3 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Green Skull 003

Member No.: 3,472

It sounds like you are making the drivetrain right. If you want to get it done and enjoy the car, why not drive the car to a shop that knows 914's. For example Bill Dunster in Charlotte. He is active in PCA and owns a Teener. Drive it down, get a dollar and time estimate. Make a decision to fly home and then return to pick it up when finished, or drive it home and scrap it.

+Quote Post
iamchappy
post May 3 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #18

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

I have an extra 110 flux core welder you can try out.
I just welded in one side of the Brad Mayeur long kit this week. Extremely heavy weight steel, originally designed to reinforce rust issues in the longs. I added these with the Engman inner kit on a solid rust free car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

You could watch me install the other side, I still have some prep work to do before I
start.

How are your floor pans and the hell hole area.....

Northern tools has a decent mig welder for around 300.00 it's what I use it can weld as thin as 26 gauge. Not as
nice as the Hobart 140 but it can do a decent job.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...32691_200332691

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914orRust
post May 3 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #19

Thank you for the tip on the welder, iamchappy. I appreciate it. I wouldn't mind seeing the work in action some time. It would be good to see what is in store for me.

The hell hole area is pretty bad. At some point, a person removed the battery tray and support only to replace it with a temporary. There is a hole through the firewall.

The pans are not bad, actually. There is a small amount of rust in the back right corner of the passengers seat. Nothing too bad.

I know that the jack post on the passenger side is free floating. I have not removed the outer longitude to take a look at how bad it is. From the underside, there is definite rust/corrosion/holes in the inner longitude and jacking post on the passenger side.

I will try tomorrow to take some pictures to post.

Thanks again!
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post May 3 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

I guess you have to determine how far you want to go with this car. Either go all out and restore the thing right and expect it to cost way to much and expect it out of action for many years, or patch it together here and there were it needs it and enjoy driving it. I did a patch work job on a 914 that I drove for over ten years before I sawsalled it up.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 12:03 AM