Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can I get rid of these ?, Cooling doors
JBart
post May 5 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #1

UNDER CONSTRUTION

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,019

I need some help here . I dropped my engine to fix some major oil leaks . I'm wondering if I can take this nonworking assy. out while I have the tin off I don't have a T-stat. so i'm thinking it won't hurt to remove them. Am I correct in my thoughts? Here are some pics. of what i'm talking about.

Thanks,
jbart

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
So.Cal.914
post May 5 2007, 01:20 AM
Post #2

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

You live in CA so I don't see a problem, just need to let it warm up a bit.
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 5 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

the one over the oil cooler can be rivited down to permanently blow air into the oil cooler. the one on the other side can be eliminated.

at least for my track car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) that is exactly what I have done.
And mine was still working properly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post May 5 2007, 01:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,022

maybe the top one,maybe, if you have no plan to use the belows. Definitly not the bottom one, it directs the air over teh oil cooler
+Quote Post
JBart
post May 5 2007, 01:26 AM
Post #5

UNDER CONSTRUTION

Member No.: 7,019

QUOTE(toon1 @ May 5 2007, 12:23 AM) *

maybe the top one,maybe, if you have no plan to use the belows. Definitly not the bottom one, it directs the air over teh oil cooler

I hate to sound stupid but what are belows?
+Quote Post
DanT
post May 5 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #6

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

there is a pulley system on the bottom left side of the motor that connects to a bellows that heats up, expands and then closes/opens the doors in the manner you found them.
It is an aircooled version of a thermostat on a water cooled motor..
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post May 5 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #7

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
I would find a T-stat ,pulley.and wire to make the thing fuction properly. Porsche engineers disigned it that way for a reason. my 2 cents Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
MecGen
post May 5 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #8

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi

Sorry man, you got to keep em. Get the T-stat working, even in Cali. When you remove flaps in the cooling system, (they actually route air to the rite places,) the motor will run hotter in all the wrong places.

The cooling system is very well thought of, but it needs to be working on a T4.

Later

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post May 5 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #9

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 05:10 AM) *

Hi

Sorry man, you got to keep em. Get the T-stat working, even in Cali. When you remove flaps in the cooling system, (they actually route air to the rite places,) the motor will run hotter in all the wrong places.

Later

I agree 100%. Street cars need these pieces to work. Everything is there for a very good reason.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 5 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #10

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 5 2007, 03:36 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
I would find a T-stat ,pulley.and wire to make the thing fuction properly. Porsche engineers disigned it that way for a reason. my 2 cents Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 06:10 AM) *

Hi

Later

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 5 2007, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 05:10 AM) *

Hi

Later

I agree 100%. Street cars need these pieces to work. Everything is there for a very good reason.

If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 5 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #11

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

"If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal."

Of course you shouldn't let the fact that the T3 part won't fit get in your way ..................... How ya gonna attach the wire? T4 ones are available. For the street, running the flaps in the default position is a good option. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 5 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #12

Love these little cars!

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2007, 08:20 AM) *

"If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal."

Of course you shouldn't let the fact that the T3 part won't fit get in your way ..................... How ya gonna attach the wire? T4 ones are available. For the street, running the flaps in the default position is a good option. The Cap'n

The T3 does fit...EVparts sells a cable kit with the correct T4 coupler for $20...it's all plug-n-play. I didn't realize T4 thermostat's were available...I couldn't find one when I was looking for one a few months ago. I wanted a new one...
+Quote Post
type47
post May 5 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #13

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2007, 07:20 AM) *

maybe he just mis-identified the type as i think it's actually a type I thermostat adapted to work on a type IV
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 5 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Love these little cars!

maybe he just mis-identified the type as i think it's actually a type I thermostat adapted to work on a type IV

Yes, your right...it is a Type 1, not a Type 3 thermostat that converts nicely for a Type 4 motor...sorry for the confusion.

Here is a great article on the Type 4 thermostat with pics...worth the read.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 5 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JBart @ May 4 2007, 11:17 PM) *

Am I correct in my thoughts?

NO

you need the flaps. especially the one over the oil cooler. look at how the air system works.
if you remove that flap you will have *NO* air going through the oil cooler at all!

you're going to cook your engine in no time ...

the flap over the oil cooler actually forces air into the cooler when it's DOWN and covering the top of the cooler!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:26 AM