Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 rage?, is there such a thing?
swm914
post Jun 30 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,484
Region Association: None

After 25 yrs of marriage and with the kids almost raised my wife said I should finally get the 914 I wanted since I was 17. In December I did just that. I usually post in the originality forum but I want to post this in the garage.

I’ve been the recipient of 3 unprovoked obscene gestures ranging from teens along the road on bikes to a middle aged guy in a Dodge sedan who pulled up beside me on the passenger side. I’ve also been tailgated dangerously close 2 or 3 times by guys in large pickup trucks. One of them cut me off getting back into my lane. The most recent incident was this morning so it is fresh on my mind. All I could see was the grill of his Dodge Ram. I lost him on the curved road but then traffic back up and he finally caught up and got even closer.

I know I don’t live in “anything goes” sunny CA or in Florida where they’re all around so maybe it is the area (central PA). It is Phoenix Red so maybe the color sets them off. Is there something about these things that people don’t like? Did I unknowingly buy a classic car that is preferred by those in alternate lifestyles and since I'm driving on it is assumed I do as well? Just the random acts of jerks?

Any similar experiences? I might start taking Sadie (not my wife, my German Shepherd) along with me on my Saturday early morning spins. Thoughts?
Thanks
Steve

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
TROJANMAN
post Jun 30 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

People only began tailgating you when you started driving your 914? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You probaby just notice it more because you are in a tiny car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Or you need to move to a safer part of the country (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It's funny how people react to seeing a 914 in different parts of the country.
Not many people give you a second look in California. In Colorado people are always asking me about my car.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 30 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

get a set of the double/2 tone horns. they're LOUD. use them as needed or when ever you're in the mood. the longer the duration the better.

k
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post Jun 30 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #4

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084
Region Association: Southern California

Add a gun rack and gun in your back window. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jun 30 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,846
Region Association: South East States

These usually work for me:

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

(IMG:http://www.killianprime.com/images/glock/g23.jpg)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 30 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #6

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

But, Hershey PA? Its like the happiest place on earth!

I'm guessing that people are dirving the way they always drive around you, but you are noticing it more cause you are in a small car.

Zach

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jun 30 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I get way too much attention in the 74 but it's almost all simple curiosity or astonishment... nothing negative... yet... knock on wood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) . One guy circled me twice to check out every detail driving along I-66 @ highway speeds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
swm914
post Jun 30 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,484

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 30 2007, 11:42 AM) *

But, Hershey PA? Its like the happiest place on earth!

I'm guessing that people are dirving the way they always drive around you, but you are noticing it more cause you are in a small car.

Zach

Zach...not in town Hershey...only the back roads!

You guys are probably right about the small car and the feeling that I'm being tailgaited...but gettin' flipped the bird??
+Quote Post
914-8
post Jun 30 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,461

Must be that DEATH TO AMERICA! bumper sticker.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 30 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I've had nothing but good response when I drive the car. Lots of thumbs up, "nice car" and the usual comment, "I used drive a 914 way back in the day." Like I told my Son many years ago. "Ten percent of any group of people in the world are flaming assholes." It's our job to identify who they are and deal with it. I try to ignore the ignorant. If that doesn't work I tell them to GO FUCH THEMSELVES. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Happy driving, Elliot
+Quote Post
Mid_Engine_914
post Jun 30 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,888

Maybe they think you’re a nonconformist? (Insert Borg Smilie)
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jun 30 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,842

Stupid rednecks that think you're trying to prove something because you're driving a foreign car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That would be my guess. My response to those kind of people is always, "You're not that important! If you feel inferior, than that's your problem." Anything like this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdOkPD6vsw
Mark D.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Jun 30 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) "carry a gun!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Jun 30 2007, 03:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,349

No no, I noticed it too. 914 rage exists. Girls notice the car. Guys notice the car too, but since they don't have one, some get jealous. Some of them know that the 914 is an "easy target" in terms of horsepower, so that's why you'll get a guy in a Mustang pass the yellow line to get around you where they normally wouldn't.
+Quote Post
majkos
post Jun 30 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 30 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Stupid rednecks that think you're trying to prove something because you're driving a foreign car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) That would be my guess. My response to those kind of people is always, "You're not that important! If you feel inferior, than that's your problem." Anything like this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdOkPD6vsw
Mark D.

Kinda funny AND those Redneck's were in a Toyo..........da
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 30 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Put an air horn in back. That'll surprise them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jun 30 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

I would have to say that most of the jack a$$'s read PORSCHE respond to that. It doesn't matter that it is a 30+ year old car. All they know is they don't have one, thier girlfriend wants to ride with you with the top off. They get angry and want to wag thier big truck in your face (so to speak). Get to know your local sherrif and look into road rage laws. You could do some cool Bond crap to your car, but that would detract from it.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Jun 30 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

Whenever someone tailgates me, I normally slow down so they can pass. But, sometimes they don't want to so I turn the windshield washer/wipers on and spray their windshield. Normally they then get on around, but you have to wait for them to spray you back (or slam on their brakes). Since I drive a Miata everyday, I've gotten use to people tailgating me. I drive 10 mph over the posted speed limit, but always get out of the 'hot rods' way when they'er coming up behind me....

Just be careful out there, and drive faster... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

-- Rob
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jun 30 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,846

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 30 2007, 06:45 PM) *

You could do some cool Bond crap to your car, but that would detract from it.

Easiest would be the smoke screen. Install a pump/injector/tank somewhere in the intake. Use brake fluid as fuel. When someone tailgates, you flip a switch and whoooshhh...they'll disappear in a cloud of white smoke.

I have an electric "car safe", used for storing guns/valuables inside the car. It operates just like a cash register drawer. You push a remote switch, and a heavy spring pops the drawer open. These are available anywhere they sell safes or security-related equipment for vehicles. My idea is to mount this drawer upside down, underneath the car (towards the rear). Load the drawer with 5 lbs. of 1" roofing nails. Tailgater? Click....instant roofing nail shower will fall from the back of your car. Unfortunately, everyone else behind you will be changing their flats, too.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jun 30 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #20

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Didja buy the car locally? Maybe the previous driver drove like an agressive cut in and out of traffic across three lanes of traffic dive in between two cars 15 ft apart traveling at 75 asshole and pissed a lot of people off.

Maybe they think you are him....

Dunno

Ken
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:12 PM