Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I joined the new century
spare time toys
post Jan 5 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #1

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

We have been using a OLD HP computer for years. I have timed it and from when you turned it on it would take 5 minutes to get to the web. I hit the overtime hard the end of last month and treated us to a new iMac (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Man o man what a change (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) the letters show up on the monitor when I type them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I should have done this a long time ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 10)
McMark
post Jan 5 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

It's a whole new world!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jan 5 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #3

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jan 5 2008, 04:07 PM) *

... the letters show up on the monitor when I type them ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I know what you mean. My computer is first generation. Well, Ok, second gen, about 1996. And that my kids have screemin' fast boxes and laptops and smatphones and digital everything. Alright, I've got a pretty good laptop too, and there is a powerfull family box (wife's ebay machine mostly), I built up a couple of years ago, but my usual vehicle of choice for the info highway is an overclocked 11 year old 486 Pentium II with a gig of memory. I can't help it, I just like to keep the old stuff (the 914, the computer, the bicycle, even the old body itself) going and going and going.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jan 5 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #4

hooked on grilling food.

I have gone so any places at the speed of light tonight my head is spinning...
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jan 6 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #5

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Old!

I worked on plug compatable products for 3270 mainframes, we watched the progress of the 8088 PCs come about because clients hated it when the mainframe went down and everybody was dead in the water.

We bought a small startup computer company and manufactured 286 and 386 computers. Back in those days you could have a motherboard, a 1.44 floppy and could boot the device and run Microsoft WORD off of a single floppy. And I could store all my word files on the floppy WITH the entire Word program. Took a little longer to boot, but that is how small of a system you really need to contain an operating system, a word processor, AND saved documents. I think my paperback dictionary cost 2 bucks. Yup, you don't need a huge operating system or a hard drive to run useable programs.

Nowadays we have huge operating systems, massive cache memory files, and monster hard drives so that we can be...

safe from hackers,

sales whores can insert programs to track our buying preferences on the internet (and tailor what we see),

music and video can insert huge amounts of tracking and copyright protections (DMR) in the operating systems, and

every software product can make their product more friendly by booting and running a part of their software product in the background so it starts up quicker.

If we could cut out all the unwanted resource sucking crap, it would be amazing how small and how fast systems would run. Microbloat Vista is a perfect example of adding more crap you don't want or need to force you to buy a bigger faster system.

Ken

+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jan 6 2008, 01:00 PM
Post #6

hooked on grilling food.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) the iMac is going back. we were up until 11:30 trying to get the items she needs for her job to work on it. One ap needed citrix installed then another needed internet explorer but they dont support mac anymore so you have to find a link and the most up to date version that will work on a mac is 05 and that didnt open half of what she needs. In the end it was not any easier or faster than what we have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) So credit a big chunk of change back into the bank and life goes on.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 6 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

That new iMac can dual boot Windows. With a quick restart you can choose to run Windows or MacOS.

Look Here
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Jan 6 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #8

The Bogus One

Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

Haven't tried it yet myself, but I have heard that Windows runs faster on the new iMac than about 90% of comparably priced PCs out there. Let us know your experience if you try Windows on it.

Jim
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jan 6 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #9

hooked on grilling food.

Just got back from returning it. The guy at the store said it doesnt work that well for realestate. Wish he had said that yesterday/ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) We picked up a new tower for home use 400 gig hd and 3 gig ram amd 64X2 processor.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jan 6 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #10

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Got a Dell Inspiron 1521 (laptop) from my cousin for my birthday. I hear ya, man

what a difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Could not run CS3 on my old machine.
+Quote Post
Wide914
post Jan 6 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,917

ITs true what is said of the new intel mac's. PC magazine did a test on which computer ran windows vista the fastest and most solid and it was a MAC that one..
just install vista and startup windows no problem.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:20 AM