Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Just installed the Rennshift, Wow that was easy
PeeGreen 914
post May 18 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So I have installed a few different short shifters and I really must say this was the easiest to line up I have encountered. My car shifts awsome now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . The only thing I don't get is why everything is in standard. I don't have any standard sized tools. I have a big box full of metric and was rather sad to find I needed standard sized tools for my European auto.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
messix
post May 18 2008, 02:36 AM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

because it's 'merican and it works better that way.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post May 18 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #3

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

Jon,

how did it shift before the Rennshift? Were you able to find all gears? What about it shifts "better" now?

+Quote Post
JRust
post May 18 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Yes more info on the change. I am interested in buying it myself if it that much better.
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 18 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'd really like to hear more details about why you like it better.

My 914 has already shifted pretty well. I've driven a Rennshift equipped 914. It was admittedly a short drive, but I must say, I didn't really like the feel. Now James makes a quality product and I'm not saying about negative about the shifter itself. It's extremely nice and appears to be very well built and probably bulletproof. But my personal preference would be a decent shifting stock unit. Maybe I should get some more time with a Rennshifter. In lieu of that however (since they aren't installed everywhere around here), I'd really like to hear ore about your experience.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 18 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Member No.: 179

it's springloaded. the shifter actually bounces back to the 2-3 plane if you put it in neutrual. it takes some time getting used to, but now i can't even imagine not having one ...

it turned the stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) into (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 18 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Well, first off, the shifts are much more smooth. The short shifters had too stiff of springs and the lock out was a pain. I didn't mind before but now I am thinking I was crazy. The shifter rests in neutral between the 2nd and 3rd plain. it moves over to the Reverse and 1st or 4th and 5th plains with ease. In fact you can push the shifter with one fingure. The regular shifter is okay but you sometimes get lost in the gears and the short shift can be hard on the syncros. This is very precise and has the throw adjustment so you won't damage your gears or syncros. Also has a manual reverse lockout that I am loving. Anything else you would like to know? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post May 18 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977

ya, when are you going to do a US tour so everyone posting can try it out?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 18 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #9

Come to the WCR and you can try it and my new 2.4l out. Just got the interior all back together, Rhino lined, Sparco seats, and now the Rennshift. I took it out for a nice long drive today. It was very nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 18 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

I will try it out at WCR for sure. I am doing the swap to a side shift as we speak. I'm replacing all the bushings so my shifting will be much improved anyway. Still will be interested in how well it feels. That may be my next purchase this summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 18 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2008, 04:12 PM) *
it's springloaded. the shifter actually bounces back to the 2-3 plane if you put it in neutrual. it takes some time getting used to, but now i can't even imagine not having one ...

it turned the stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) into (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Andy

Mine does that now. At least it will bounce from 1st or reverse and when pushed with no real pressure in nuetral and to the left, it rests right on the 2-3 plane.

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 18 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Well, first off, the shifts are much more smooth. The short shifters had too stiff of springs and the lock out was a pain. I didn't mind before but now I am thinking I was crazy. The shifter rests in neutral between the 2nd and 3rd plain. it moves over to the Reverse and 1st or 4th and 5th plains with ease. In fact you can push the shifter with one fingure. The regular shifter is okay but you sometimes get lost in the gears and the short shift can be hard on the syncros. This is very precise and has the throw adjustment so you won't damage your gears or syncros. Also has a manual reverse lockout that I am loving. Anything else you would like to know? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I agree about the short shift kits. The one that was on my /6 absolutely sucked. But the zambeziteen /4 stock shifter and side shifter transaxle does take some decent force to overcome the springs to get to 1st-reverse, you will not mistake either for 2nd or 3rd.

I really would like to get another try at a rennshifter. I do think I want one (at least I have since I first saw one), but this current car just doesn't justify it.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 18 2008, 10:38 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(JRust @ May 18 2008, 07:34 PM) *

I will try it out at WCR for sure. I am doing the swap to a side shift as we speak. I'm replacing all the bushings so my shifting will be much improved anyway. Still will be interested in how well it feels. That may be my next purchase this summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

You are more than welcome Jamie. Take it for a spin and let me know what you think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) I have also done all the other bushings before I did this. The bushings helped, but the Rennshift really made the difference.

Gint,

Get a 914 that is worth putting it in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 18 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

If it is that impressive maybe I'll get one to bring with me. We can have a smal work party install it in my car. For the benefit of everyone else there for sure. Just so they can see & feel a before & after (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) .Okay maybe a little self serving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 18 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #14

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Well, they are very simple to install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 19 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Resident German

QUOTE(Gint @ May 18 2008, 07:59 PM) *

Mine does that now. At least it will bounce from 1st or reverse and when pushed with no real pressure in nuetral and to the left, it rests right on the 2-3 plane.

yeah, but trust me, it ain't the same ... my shifter now feels like the shifter in a modern car. zero slop, tight and precise shifting ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Grngoat
post May 19 2008, 02:03 AM
Post #16

Lurker Member

Member No.: 2,967
Region Association: Southwest Region

Andy, you also have the full JWest linkage, not just the Rennshifter, so that should be even more improvement. I have the same setup, but since I installed it all concurrent with the -6 conversion, I really can't compare it to the old setup. Too much time elapsed to make a good comparison. All of it was easy to install though. I wouldn't go back, it shifts very well - almost like a new car.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 19 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #17

Resident German

QUOTE(Grngoat @ May 19 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Andy, you also have the full JWest linkage, not just the Rennshifter, so that should be even more improvement.

yes, correct. but i drove my car with just the rennshift for years (i have the 1st generation version) before i added the linkage ...
+Quote Post
kconway
post May 19 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2008, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Grngoat @ May 19 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Andy, you also have the full JWest linkage, not just the Rennshifter, so that should be even more improvement.

yes, correct. but i drove my car with just the rennshift for years (i have the 1st generation version) before i added the linkage ...

Andy,
I have the 1st gen shifter and have yet to put it in. Have you driven a car with the 2nd gen shifter, is there any difference between them or just cosmetic?
Kev
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post May 19 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #19

1st and second generation? What the difference between the two?
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post May 19 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

For my F-Prod car I installed a Rennshifter and linkage in a tranny built with new parts by Blake Meredith, and wow! It shifted damn near as good as my E30 BMW, which is the finest shifting streetcar I've ever driven.
3 days of testing, qualifiying and racing and I never misssed a shift. I love it. James makes a well engineered bunch of products. I will say this, though. I'm convinced that if you install just the shifter it probably won't make as much difference as just installing the linkage. Do the linkage first and then add the shifter. And one more thing. If the tranny internals are shot then I don't think anything will help much.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:02 AM