Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> tachometer cuts out, problem with car or tach?
jfort
post Jun 24 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

for 914-6. just got tach back from palo alto speedo, which repaired tach after arching coil smoked it. New coil now and car works fine. Tach works correctly up to 4,000 RPMs. Then needle falls back and flutters. Do you think the problem is with the tach or something with the car? palo alto speedo will surely look at it again, but thought i'd query this group first before the hassle of removing and mailing again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
anderssj
post Jun 24 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jfort @ Jun 24 2008, 12:35 PM) *

for 914-6. just got tach back from palo alto speedo, which repaired tach after arching coil smoked it. New coil now and car works fine. Tach works correctly up to 4,000 RPMs. Then needle falls back and flutters. Do you think the problem is with the tach or something with the car? palo alto speedo will surely look at it again, but thought i'd query this group first before the hassle of removing and mailing again.

Not sure if it applies, but I had a similar problem on my 72 4 cyl--turns out I had the black/violet and red/white wires swapped on the tach terminals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

That said, I'd call PAS before doing anything and see what they say . . . .

Hope this helps,

Steve A-
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jun 24 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #3

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jfort @ Jun 24 2008, 01:35 PM) *

does the engine cut out when the tack does. i know my 67 mustang wont run with the factory tach disconected. (possibly tach. completes the curcuit on 914's too)

mike
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Jun 25 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #4

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

happens on our jeep, but its casue the tac is old, and the car has does bounce around alot (dirt trails, what can i say)

it is probably some connection on the speedo is screwing up
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:06 AM