Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How many professional musicians are there here??, WAYYYY Off Topic
nebreitling
post Feb 3 2004, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

sorry to contribute to the recent spike in OT posts, but reading miles' farewell thread made me think: how many of you gals/guys are professional musicians?

I'm a composer, work a lot as a conductor, teach as well. who else?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Rich Bontempi
post Feb 3 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #2

914 Road Racer

Member No.: 239
Region Association: Northern California

I played Lead Guitar for a rock group during the 1968 thru 1972 period. Played at longshoremans hall (San Fransisco),Marine World (Belmont), Various battles of the bands in the Bay Area, and lots of high school and college parties. Had lots of fun. Still have a Martin classic, a Gibson ES-369 Semi-hollow body electric.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Feb 3 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #3

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

Sweet, Rich!

didn't know that. 'course, i know that Larry @ HPH plays bass
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Feb 3 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #4

914 Road Racer

Member No.: 239

I worked at a music store for 12 years!
+Quote Post
RocknRollFrenzy
post Feb 3 2004, 02:54 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,305

count me in........spent a good 5 years traveling up and down the west coast (though mostly cali) rockin the good rock......the avatar is actually my self at the big grand finale show......decided that we just weren't making enough money to make up for the time and effort we were putting into things.......if anyone has a hankering, feel free to check out the old band website Creekan.com. I've got loads of old merchandise sitting around if anyone actually wants some cd's or stickers or such.......
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Feb 3 2004, 08:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,225

Once upon a time. I still teach a few nights a week, playing out now and then and making my little demos mostly just for kicks. I remember feeling so cool that I built my house with money I made playing guitar. Of course I was shocked when I realized that whole mortgage payment thingy issue was going to come up every single month with the bank, who had very little sense of humor about it by the way. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now I evaluate residential and investment properties for mortgage financing. I still study music, but I guess I'm now just a poser.....but at least we have heat(usually). I can't help but admire anyone who is able to make a living by playing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

JerryP
'72 914 2.0
'90 Am Std Strat(all dirty w/3 Texas Specials)
'68 SG custom
Perez Rosewood Classical
New Martin DM
4 or 5 other beaters lying around
+Quote Post
jtf914
post Feb 3 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 58
Region Association: North East States

I’m not, but my brother is (shameless plug) …

They are a Boston based band, and they just finished recording their first CD at Longview Studios, mastered at Gateway Studios.... Check them out: Big Top Vertigo

Click on the album cover under "Merchandise" and you can listen to the songs or buy the CD. Make sure to check out track 5 - Black Widows and Wrecking Balls

-Justin
+Quote Post
Dave Blackburn
post Feb 3 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 551

I am a turntablist for 9 years now. Kind like a DJ but I use my record players as an instrument to make music instead of just playing songs.
I got to play at quite a few clubs/raves but the long nights and cracked out people and travel are not worth the money. It was making my hobby into work and not fun for me anymore.
I also have a music studio to produce some electronic music. It is fun, I just do it for myself now.
I got some drums this summer and I am learning how to play them, lots of fun, but I don't know if the neighbors think so....
Dave
+Quote Post
markb
post Feb 3 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #9

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I've been a songwriter since the 70's, hit the charts a couple times (in Europe) in the 80's, and pretty much ignore the poor guitars now. Taught thru Songwriters Workshops and wrote how-to articles for a local music magazine. Did DJ (radio & live), Hosted karaoke shows (still own a busy karaoke company), produced a few local groups in the studio. I spend lots more time on the 914 now than on the music. I don't know if that's good or not.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Ovation shallowbody acou/elec
Taka acou
68 Epiphone Olympic special
Epi SG 12 string electric (self built)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 3 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #10

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Me.

Guitarist. 23 year industry vet. Associate Publisher, Guitar Player and Bass Player Magazines.
+Quote Post
736conver
post Feb 3 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

If this counts I was in a 80's cover band in the mid 90's. Paid well but internal band problems, imagine that. Still have my Juno and Roland u-50. The little one, 3 year old, loves to plunk on the keys.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 3 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #12

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Did one night stands in bars and coffee houses for tips and beer, while traveling in the early 70's, after my tour in Southeast Asia. Did a Bob Dylan sound alike act. Have a "book" of copywrited songs, and some that weren't. Still play and write today, but don't try to make a living at it anymore. Proved to be more work than a real job, and paid less most of the time. Still do a little beginner instruction. First chair violinist senior year of High School. Member of Tulsa Youth Philharmonic Orchestra for 4 years. Also do the National Anthem acapella at local sporting events.

66 epiphone 12 string
98 Takamine g series 12 string
Lots of Lee Oscar harps
+Quote Post
Toast
post Feb 3 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Im a wannabe. Ive been playing drums since I was 12. Did the school band thing for 6 years....marching, symphony, jazz, pep(games). Did College band for 1 year. I did make it to the State competition with the percussion ensemble in high shool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Had a band in highschool called Rock School. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Was in a band after high school where we did some gigs localy and played and partied for friends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) My last band, we did a gig at the Community college, and played at bbq's and stuff. Just cant seem to find the right people to play with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I just recently traded my drum set (not the hardware) for VW body parts. Of couse that VW got wrecked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Oh well, story of my life. When I get a place with enought room to set up, I will definatly get another set.
How long must I wait. Sigh...... Ok, Im done.
+Quote Post
Neal
post Feb 3 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 605

Hey Eric, my daughter got the bass Player magazine, that is a great publication. Thanks again
Drummer since age 7, school band,marching band, stage band cut an album at Kay Smith Studio's in Seattle early 70's
Issaquah High School stage band,Bellevue Community College Stage band, various JR and High school bands, taught Drum lessons for a while. So not a professional but a hobbyist
My taste in music at 48 years old is harder than when I was 16, go figure. The talent in most bands today is so freaken good it's scary.
Rodgers drums,Ludwig metal snare,Zildjan and Sabian cymbals, Drum Works Bass pedal and a Gibralter Rack system to hang it all on.
Favorite drummer
David Garabaldi (Tower of Power)

Neal
+Quote Post
Neal
post Feb 3 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 605

P.S anyone in the Seattle area that wants to jam I have a studio area were we can turn up the Marshall stacks if you want.
I love jamming to the blues.

Neal
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 3 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #16

PMB Performance

Hey Neal...

I believe the title of the thread was "How many professional musicians are there here??" It said nothing about drummers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

(you knew that was coming... now to quickly don the flack jacket before Schroeder and Toast read this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) )

Glad she liked the magazine. I thought she'd like Bill's editorial comment for that issue. Quite fitting. She should get one every month now. Hope she sticks with it.

E.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 3 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

QUOTE(Toast @ Feb 3 2004, 10:51 AM)
...Did College band for 1 year. ...

Did you play for Riverside Community College? I was in marching band in high school, and at the time (they might still be) they were the best or one of the best marching bands in the world.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Feb 3 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #18

Small Member

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 3 2004, 01:15 PM)

I believe the title of the thread was "How many professional musicians are there here??" It said nothing about drummers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

(you knew that was coming... now to quickly don the flack jacket before Schroeder and Toast read this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) )

Did you hear about the guitar player that locked his keys in the car?

It took them 2 hours to get the drummer out.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It's all good!!!!

Started when I was 7 been in bands all of my life. Toured with the hair bands in the 80's, and with the country guys in the 90's. I started doing studio session work about 1990 or so - thats also when I secured my first endorsement deal - a c-grade (get gear for cost) from Pearl. I enjoy playing as much today as I did when I started. I still play every night - not because I am a practice nazi, but because it is fun.
My current band is a very successful local/regional group called exit 232 (www.exit232.com)
We get regular radio play on the non Clear Channel stations, we get the opportunity to play places like Red Rocks and Fiddlers Green on a fairly regular basis as an opening act, and our own shows have drawn upwards of 2000 folks. Attached is a pic from our Dillon Amphitheatre show - sold the sucker out. Besides being a car guy, I also collect vintage drums. tell someone you are into 914 Porsches and vintage drums sometime - NOT a good way to meet girls......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Feb 3 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Almost as cool as a Porsche!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 3 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #20

PMB Performance

I worked at a music store for 12 years!

Where?

Awesome kit Scott...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 03:00 AM