Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT KIT on SPEED 8amPT, an autobody experience
sixnotfour
post Mar 1 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Saw the last episode pretty entertaining . The guys used a whole lot of bondo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Boxster to Carrera GT for under 25K
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
messix
post Mar 1 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i caught 15 min. of it this morning. kinds portrayed it in a hack way, but had some good ideas on getting fit and gaps. they just looked so back yard hack for a tv show.

was du pont a sponsor or advertiser..... huge amount of bondo.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Mar 1 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #3

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A $25,000 fiberglass, wannabe Carrera GT.
I saw one in Palm Desert a couple of years ago. It looked good from a block away, but as I walked closer, not so good.
I personally think it is a waste of a perfectly good Boxster, and a lot of money that could be used on a more viable project.
CCLINNOKITCARATCAMP
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Mar 1 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #4

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

I googled the kit. teh proportions are off to the point of funky-ness.
+Quote Post
mbrown3039
post Mar 1 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,658
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(messix @ Mar 1 2009, 09:03 AM) *

i caught 15 min. of it this morning. kinds portrayed it in a hack way, but had some good ideas on getting fit and gaps. they just looked so back yard hack for a tv show.

was du pont a sponsor or advertiser..... huge amount of bondo.

I couln't believe they spent the money for matching Hawaiian shirts...but not a work bench! Or a pneumatic cut-off tool (instead of a sawzall)...or work lights...or bondo mixing tubs (instead of old water jugs)....but -- at least in Vegas -- there's no other car show on at that time, so I suspect I'll keep watching. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Mike
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Mar 4 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,444
Region Association: South East States

I meant to post this topic but forgot. I have seen two episodes and find it educational to see the guts of a Box and how it went togather.

The car is a 97 and had been wrecked and repaired (badly). Bought for $1100-1400 not sure exactly.

Why anybody would pay $25k to convert a 2.5 to CGT looks mystifies me. I guess to some image is everything as the Canon camera adds used to say.
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Mar 4 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #7

medium pimpin

Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

I saw this for the first time on Sunday morning as I was doing chores around the house. Seemed like a good idea for a show, but there was about 3 minutes of usable content through the whole thing. The rest of it was so glossed over that it was pointless.

Looked like they were using flux-core wire on their welder cause I didn't see a gas tip on the thing at all... and they just seemed to be waving the thing around with sparks flying everywhere. Granted, I'm no welding expert as I just layed down my first bead last weekend, but it struck me as pretty odd.

I would also love to know what exactly does one have to do to qualify as a "car guy".... I think I understand the responsibilities of host... it's the "car guy" qualification that I'm not so sure about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mike
+Quote Post
mbrown3039
post Mar 4 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,658
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Mar 4 2009, 05:05 PM) *

I saw this for the first time on Sunday morning as I was doing chores around the house. Seemed like a good idea for a show, but there was about 3 minutes of usable content through the whole thing. The rest of it was so glossed over that it was pointless. Mike

I've known a couple of different guys who were the subject of "reality" TV shows -- and, in both cases, they paid for the production themselves.

So I guess the short answer is this: if you've got the cash, you too can be a "car guy" -- or a "boat guy," or a "porsche guy," or a "survivor guy" (although that guy Les is the real deal when it comes to surviving outdoors) or anything else you want to claim yourself to be an expert of.

I'll have to read the credits next time the show is on and see how many of the car shop guys are also the producers, directors, etc...the other Mike
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:12 PM