Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT- Black cars and Kalifornia, Talk of banning black cars by 2012
Lou W
post Mar 26 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #1

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

CARB

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I thought it was interesting.......
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 26 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Just some a$$hole legislator trying to make a name for him or herself. Anything to get themselves noticed.
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Mar 27 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

Yeah I heard about this this morning. You sure learn about strange things coming out of the pike these days.
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Mar 27 2009, 01:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,088

Maybe I can get a tax credit to chrome my entire car.
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Mar 27 2009, 05:45 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,211

When I read stuff like this it makes me wonder how it will effect us owners of older cars.

Kind of like back in the 70's when there was a law passed requiring retrofitting smog devices on VW's. (boy was that an f-up)

Here is what I see happening;

In order to get older cars to "reflect 20 percent solar heat", there will be a law passed that requires our cars to be clean and waxed. Any car that, "in the officers opinion", doesn't reflect the legislated amount of reflection will be towed (at the owners expense) to a junk yard, where it will be scrapped.

All primers will be outlawed due to their not being reflective. (I now have to drive about 80 miles to get outside of L.A., to purchase PPG "DP" epoxy primer) This is to prevent the owners from possibly driving the car while primered.

Bright yellow or orange cars will be issued a sticker (three of them actually) that they can attach to their car, allowing them to drive in the Diamond lane.

None of this will apply to trucks, aka SUV's. All of Michael Jackson's SUV's will be painted matt black.

Wes (I haven't had my coffee yet) Vann

+Quote Post
Wes V
post Mar 27 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #6

Hey wait, I've got a better idea;

How about they just simply legislate how cold you are allowed to have the interior!!

That way you could apply the law to all cars. New and old.

I can just now see an officer standing behind a bill board with a temperature gun, taking readings off the windshield while you drive by. It would be great to stop those criminals driving out through the desert to Vegas.

Wes (honestly, I'm out the door to get my much needed coffee) Vann
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Mar 27 2009, 05:54 AM
Post #7

(No coffee yet)

Here is a great marketing idea!

Pep Boys could sell fake frost to put on the interior surface of the car windows.

That way you could drive down the road showing how you are a "Bad Boy".

You really wouldn't have to manufacture anything, just buy a bunch of X-mas stickers.

Wes (I hate that Starbucks doesn't stay open all night) Vann
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 27 2009, 07:09 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Or, you could just vote with your feet, and move the hell out of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

I've been out of that hole for 20 years now, and I don't miss it at all.

Zach
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Mar 27 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #9

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763

I love California geographically (you know, wine country, the beaches, mountians, etc), but the gov't and laws with it are kinda ridiculous...

+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Mar 27 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 27 2009, 07:10 AM) *

I love California geographically (you know, wine country, the beaches, mountians, etc), but the gov't and laws with it are kinda ridiculous...

Not saying it would have a chance to pass, but I think you would have to trim a little fat off the First Amendment to get this to go.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Mar 27 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #11

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Why not have it like you can only water on certain days of the week, you can
only run your A/C on certain days of the week.

PS I forgot no body can die now unless they paint all the hearse another color.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Mar 27 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #12

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I heard that the other part of the legislature was to require ALL cars to be painted pink with rainbow racing stripes....

Ah, Kali, ya just gotta wonder if there is something in the water or if the legislators are downwind of a smoldering "medicinal" pot field .....

Ken
+Quote Post
CliffBraun
post Mar 27 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 5,933

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 27 2009, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 27 2009, 07:10 AM) *

Not saying it would have a chance to pass, but I think you would have to trim a little fat off the First Amendment to get this to go.

Unfortunately it's a CARB thing, as I recall, so it just has to be approved by the 12(or whatever) members of that board.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 27 2009, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

I dunno....

Sometimes, I think we look at a lot of things as "rights" that, on occasion, mean taking away the rights of others. Sure, banning black cars may be off the deep end, but there are other four-wheeled choice rights I wouldn't mind seeing banned -- like (ridiculously) jacked up 4x4s that can no longer steer or stop safely, and will go over whatever they hit in the event of an accident. Rubicon Jeeps? Fine. Super chromy F350s you need a ladder to climb into? I'm not so sure. And don't get me started on Harleys with straight pipes...

As for future car colors, some of the reader comments on thetruthaboutcars.com make a lot of sense to me. Interior color needs to be considered, just as glass does. The ramifications need to be considered, too. Requiring glass shops to keep records is rediculous. But, if applying a new standard would have a real, measurable impact on emissions, I might be all for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love a black car when it's good, but I love the idea of leaving my kids (and I don't even have any yet....) a better California more than I love black cars. Especially black NEW cars. Then again, I do not want to convey the idea that I think Kalifornia will legislate this intelligently. Just look at the smog laws we have now. They miss so many gross polluters it's silly -- and have given rise to a whole cottage industry of crooks, as well as an annoying every two-years tax. And the pollution caused by almost all of the State's vehicle fleet having to go to get tested every two years. What was that about roadside testing stations that could recognize serious polluters and send a notice to the owner -- and recognize when a car is too old to be required to comply? Oh yeah, that was a pretty good idea (way better than speed cameras!) -- and it disappeared. Wonder how much of CARB and its friends would have been impacted.

The scary thing for we 914 folk is the idea that a day may come when we can drive our cars, but the pollution tax attached to them will make doing so prohibitive. The question will be would such a tax be fair? The answer, I'm afraid, might be that it would be, given that we are spewing out all kinds of toxins compared to the guy enjoying his Lotus Elise -- toxins that everybody has to breathe.

I sure hope it doesn't go that way, but I can tell you that I felt VERY guilty driving a Ruf CTR around. It ran so rich that I had to hold my breath at stoplights to keep from getting sick. I guess that was the only way Ruf knew how to make 500 hp in a streetable air-cooled engine and make it live back in 1988. But I could almost see the vegetation along PCH turn brown and then purple as I drove up the coast. I don't feel anywhere near that guilty when driving my 1973 914 with FI, but I know I'm not running as clean as I can in my other cars...

pete
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 27 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 27 2009, 06:09 AM) *

Or, you could just vote with your feet, and move the hell out of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.

I've been out of that hole for 20 years now, and I don't miss it at all.

Zach

I moved to California from that hole Pa 53 years ago. I don't miss it at all.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 27 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #16

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

911's through '89 would be exempt and could be any color in the rainbow. The AC doesn't work anyway! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I moved to California from Minnesota 15 years ago. While there are many fine things about Minnesota, most notably the people, I don't regret moving to California for a minute. I voted with my feet.
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post Mar 27 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,413
Region Association: Southwest Region

Rob... You bring up something I hadn't thought of....

Could you still get your Jet Black car if it didn't come with AC? Then the proposal as written wouldn't apply.

Note: It doesn't say that black cars will be prohibited, but that there's not a pigment "yet" that can do what they want it do. The records keeping I think it a bit silly... But *could* prevent fraud. "Sure, this is laminated glass with a reflectivity of 47!" (Not quite the same as the argument dealing with guns I don't think)

I'd be concerned about other issues - such widespread use of paint - is it more "dangerous" / less "efficient" than currently used product? Don't want a repeat of the corn ethanol deal.
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post Mar 27 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,413

One other thing... Wonder if you could still get flames painted on the car....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Mar 27 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #19

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Mar 27 2009, 12:38 AM) *

Maybe I can get a tax credit to chrome my entire car.

Yes.......or maybe stainless steel with cola on top (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 27 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #20

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Leave it to California to lead the way on cool paint. Cool man! People said the same thing when California led the way on tight smog regulations. Industry adapted. However I dont know what the liberal Elite in LA will do. They all drive black Mercedes and BMW down there. I'm sure that it will create a new Black reflective paint technology that high end car makers will sell as a $2000 option.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/cool-paints.htm
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:41 PM