Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine whining sound
craig3x
post May 8 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,275
Region Association: None

ok, My totally stock 1973 914 1.7FI is whining. It starts up fine and sounds normal. but as soon as you get the RPMs up over 1500rpm, something starts making a whining sound and it is a throttle sensitive sound. Almost like a gear drive sound, but not as extreme. Once the sound starts, it doesn't go away, even at idle. I have no idea what it could be. The car runs fine, buit has recently started burning oil and smoking a bit. Please offer any suggestions!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
detoxcowboy
post May 8 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(craig3x @ May 8 2009, 08:25 PM) *

ok, My totally stock 1973 914 1.7FI is whining. It starts up fine and sounds normal. but as soon as you get the RPMs up over 1500rpm, something starts making a whining sound and it is a throttle sensitive sound. Almost like a gear drive sound, but not as extreme. Once the sound starts, it doesn't go away, even at idle. I have no idea what it could be. The car runs fine, buit has recently started burning oil and smoking a bit. Please offer any suggestions!!!

I had a funny whining sound simailar.. ATERNATOR BEARINGS.. Eventually I found out pretty fast and rude load whinnin screech.. took about 6 weeks of wondering what the funny little whinning sound was.. was'nt always there car ran good voltage too, ran great.. bearings were going..
+Quote Post
ahdoman
post May 8 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #3

It's phonetic...Ah-D-O-Man (Audioman)

Member No.: 5,084
Region Association: Southern California

Fan belt slipping?
+Quote Post
craig3x
post May 9 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,275

QUOTE(perrin1097 @ May 8 2009, 08:37 PM) *

I had a funny whining sound simailar.. ATERNATOR BEARINGS.. Eventually I found out pretty fast and rude load whinnin screech.. took about 6 weeks of wondering what the funny little whinning sound was.. was'nt always there car ran good voltage too, ran great.. bearings were going..

That makes perfect sense actually because the sound first started right after I used my car to jump start a dead battery. I could tell it was loading up the generator pretty hard. Thanks!
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 9 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #5

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(craig3x @ May 9 2009, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(perrin1097 @ May 8 2009, 08:37 PM) *

That makes perfect sense actually because the sound first started right after I used my car to jump start a dead battery. I could tell it was loading up the generator pretty hard. Thanks!

Alternator.

First lets check the stuff that does not cost money. With the engine OFF, reach your hand inside the fan and see if you picked up something from the road. I have picked out pieces of plactic sheeting a few times. Make a heck of a noise.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 9 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I 2nd what Clay said. I've picked leaves and other noisy stuff out of the cooling housing and impeller.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 9 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Please offer any suggestions!!!

Vacuum leak ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Drums66
post May 9 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #8

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

this was your first mistake!!!!

I don't jump start any vehicle...........with a stock 914 electrical system
their too sensitive.......I think you toasted your Alternator....and whatever else??
+Quote Post
914rat
post May 9 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,362

Throw out bearings can make a whining noise.They could also be sensitive to higher revs when they are going bad.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:28 PM