Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine whining sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
ok, My totally stock 1973 914 1.7FI is whining. It starts up fine and sounds normal. but as soon as you get the RPMs up over 1500rpm, something starts making a whining sound and it is a throttle sensitive sound. Almost like a gear drive sound, but not as extreme. Once the sound starts, it doesn't go away, even at idle. I have no idea what it could be. The car runs fine, buit has recently started burning oil and smoking a bit. Please offer any suggestions!!!
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(craig3x @ May 8 2009, 08:25 PM) *

ok, My totally stock 1973 914 1.7FI is whining. It starts up fine and sounds normal. but as soon as you get the RPMs up over 1500rpm, something starts making a whining sound and it is a throttle sensitive sound. Almost like a gear drive sound, but not as extreme. Once the sound starts, it doesn't go away, even at idle. I have no idea what it could be. The car runs fine, buit has recently started burning oil and smoking a bit. Please offer any suggestions!!!

I had a funny whining sound simailar.. ATERNATOR BEARINGS.. Eventually I found out pretty fast and rude load whinnin screech.. took about 6 weeks of wondering what the funny little whinning sound was.. was'nt always there car ran good voltage too, ran great.. bearings were going..
ahdoman
Fan belt slipping?
craig3x
QUOTE(perrin1097 @ May 8 2009, 08:37 PM) *

I had a funny whining sound simailar.. ATERNATOR BEARINGS.. Eventually I found out pretty fast and rude load whinnin screech.. took about 6 weeks of wondering what the funny little whinning sound was.. was'nt always there car ran good voltage too, ran great.. bearings were going..

That makes perfect sense actually because the sound first started right after I used my car to jump start a dead battery. I could tell it was loading up the generator pretty hard. Thanks!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(craig3x @ May 9 2009, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(perrin1097 @ May 8 2009, 08:37 PM) *

That makes perfect sense actually because the sound first started right after I used my car to jump start a dead battery. I could tell it was loading up the generator pretty hard. Thanks!

Alternator.

First lets check the stuff that does not cost money. With the engine OFF, reach your hand inside the fan and see if you picked up something from the road. I have picked out pieces of plactic sheeting a few times. Make a heck of a noise.
IronHillRestorations
I 2nd what Clay said. I've picked leaves and other noisy stuff out of the cooling housing and impeller.
SirAndy

Please offer any suggestions!!!

Vacuum leak ...
shades.gif Andy
Drums66
this was your first mistake!!!!

I don't jump start any vehicle...........with a stock 914 electrical system
their too sensitive.......I think you toasted your Alternator....and whatever else??
914rat
Throw out bearings can make a whining noise.They could also be sensitive to higher revs when they are going bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.