Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Who's using a limited slip?, Anybody got one..............
SteveSr
post Mar 2 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,223

There's a guy advertising in Grassroots Mosports claims he can build limited slips starting @$250.00...........
anyone have any experiance with this guy?

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Bleyseng
post Mar 2 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Must be welded or locked diff's, that is way too cheap for anything else. I have seen one 901 ZF LSD for sale at swap meets in the last 10 years. I kick myself for not buying it at $750.

Geoff
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Mar 2 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #3

I'm going to call this guy and ask him how he builds them,I can't believe he is welding them or being totally locked.........they wouldn't even work on pavment.
I've seen the 4X4's get away with a welded diff,but that is in the dirt................... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Steve
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 2 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

key word: limited slip, therefore, it cannot be locked..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Let us know, that sounds too good to be true......I'm thinking the answer will be NO or the price will be 2-3 times more than the advertised price....

"sorry dude, the $250. is only for Hondas....."
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Mar 2 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #5

I'm afraid you might be right............................ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Steve
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Mar 2 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #6

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Anybody have any experience with these? Phantom Grip. They don't seem to make one for 914s, but one might be adapted to work, or maybe if demand was great enough they'd make one.
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Mar 2 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #7

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Mar 2 2004, 12:41 PM)
Anybody have any experience with these? Phantom Grip. They don't seem to make one for 914s, but one might be adapted to work, or maybe if demand was great enough they'd make one.

I have heard of problems with Phantom Grips. Parts of the differential are stressed in ways that they weren't designed to handle. Here is a link to a thread that mentions it. Appareantly it has happened to more than one make of transmission.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php...ht=phantom+grip

Andrew
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Mar 2 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #8

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

A Probe message board! Now I've seen everything! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 2 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I got indirectly screwed by the Phantom Grip guys.....tore down a transmission (chipped pinion gear) to send to another shop so that they could send it to PG to use my open diff for R&D....anyways, the story is that they couldn't make one to fit and refused to return it unless I paid for return shipping (heavy sucker)

We footed the bill to get it there in the first place !!!!!
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 3 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #10

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I've seen a 914 with a welded diff. And yes it was on pavement. It was a fast sucker too. It was a race car and yes one wheel would slide any time it wasn't going straight. It was a PITA to push when it didn't run too.

That thing was (I believe) a 2.4 or 2.5 4-cyl.

I have a quafe in mine and I love it on the track. It makes a huge difference in how soon you can get back on the throttle exiting a turn. The inside tire doesn't wildly spin anymore.

I don't think it would be much advantage on the street.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 3 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i wonder how many 914 trannies for the european market came with LS ...
with all the snow and stuff over there, you know. it was an option after all ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 3 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Mar 3 2004, 12:21 AM)
I've seen a 914 with a welded diff. And yes it was on pavement. It was a fast sucker too. It was a race car and yes one wheel would slide any time it wasn't going straight.

Quite a number of years ago, my instructor at an autoX drove a 914-6 racer (chopped windshield and all!) with a locked diff. Riding in that was an interesting experience!! AutoXes are tight enough that he pretty much had to stomp the throttle and kick the tail end of the car out at every single corner, otherwise the car just would not turn...

Pretty fun, but kinda scary...

--DD
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Mar 3 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 564

Long ago, I had a 1980 Chevy Malibu. Most unreliable piece of crap I ever drove. But it had a sport-suspension and a V-8. And a limited-slip differential. In the winter time (in Chicago), it was da shiat. There was no snow drift I couldn't get out of. With normal street radial tires. I even towed my friend's 4x4 Jeep out of his driveway when he got plowed in. It made me a believer in L/S differentials. Sadly, my Trooper does not have one, and I get stuck in the dunes about half the time I go out there.

The dune-buggy/sand rail guys just weld them, from what I've been told.
+Quote Post
givory
post Mar 3 2004, 03:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 125

I'm going the other way, from a locked diff to an open diff on my vintage race car. For three years I ran with the locked diff, and couldn't get rid of the horrible understeer in tight corners. I tinkered with all the usual stuff, and now blame it on the lock diff. My car is fairly softly sprung for a race car, so lifting an inside wheel isn't a problem. And with a 2L six, I'm hardly spinning tires coming out of the corners. Most irritating though was pushing the car around - I got REALLY tired of that. Of course, up here it's another two months before I will know if I'm right. Track test report to come...
Gavin
VARAC #58
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 5 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #15

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'm checking into this as Brad Mayuer has my 901 box apart now. In a short conversation with Brad on Friday, he told me he thought the carriers were the same for the 901 and the 915. At least that's what I took from our conversation... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Or at least they share parts like the carrier housing, spyder gear shaft, etc. Phantom Grip shows a listing for the 915 application, so if the spyder pin shaft and space between the spyder gears are the same it should fit.

If it fits this should save the cost of setting up a Quaife as well as the added cost. It looks like you simply slide the spyder shaft out, insert the PG between the gears, reinstall the pin, and release the safety locks.

As far as the weak spyder shaft in the ford Probe, and other models listed goes, it looks like the company has addressed this problem.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Feb 5 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #16

retired

Member No.: 313

Rick, FWIW I have a Quiafe early 915 in one of my 901 boxes. So yes they can be interchanged.
+Quote Post
stock93
post Feb 5 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 684
Region Association: South East States

A LSD for around $250 would be nice. I might buy one at that price.

Need4speed,
I doubt the sandrail guys weld them. I've built one and been around them for a while. We've discussed this but the old guys that have done it say you just can't get them to turn at all with a welded diff. They are so light in the front you have problems with understeer anyway. They use cutting brakes to apply the brakes to the inside rear wheel in a turn to make them turn sharper. Another advantage of cutting brakes is if you have one wheel with no traction you can apply the brakes on that wheel and send the power to the other wheel.

John
+Quote Post
xitspd
post Feb 5 2006, 09:53 AM
Post #18

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) I am running a Quiafe LSD with favorable results in my 901.................with a massaged 3.6
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Feb 5 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #19

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

I'm running a Peloquin LSD in my daily driven, week-end SCCA, '95 VW Jetta and love it! I noticed when I hit standing water on the highway (one tire on pavement, the other in the puddle or stream) my car doesn't rapidly pull to the puddle side and the rpm don't shoot up. And I can get on the throttle more into corners and exit more quickly...hey, commuter traffic can be a bitch, too (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I think an LSD on any sports car should be standard.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 5 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Brad has a line on a used Quaife, But it may not materialize. So the Phanton Grip looks like it could be a very low cost option. Doesn't look like anyone here has used one. I may be the test case in a 901.

Unless Mike has some more info about the fitment being a problem. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:38 PM