Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 10" wide wheels on the rear of a stock fendered 914
513mugsy914
post Jun 15 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,472
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So here is the big question...how do you go about fitting a 10" wide rear wheel on a stock fendered 914? Spacers and lip rolling? I have been told many times that this can not be done. On ebay for the next 15 hours there is a stock fendered 914 with a v8 conversion from FL that has it done. He has told me that his wrench man has added stiffer springs and modified the koni struts out back for everything to work. So what does anyone have to say about this? Is it do-able or am I looking for trouble down the road?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 15 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:30 AM) *

So here is the big question...how do you go about fitting a 10" wide rear wheel on a stock fendered 914? Spacers and lip rolling? I have been told many times that this can not be done. On ebay for the next 15 hours there is a stock fendered 914 with a v8 conversion from FL that has it done. He has told me that his wrench man has added stiffer springs and modified the koni struts out back for everything to work. So what does anyone have to say about this? Is it do-able or am I looking for trouble down the road?

I don't want to be rash, but I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one. I don't believe it's possible to fit and use a 10" wide wheel inside the rear fenders of a stock bodied 914 without interference. It's kinda like fitting a gallon of beer into a 12 oz. bottle. I take that all back, maybe a 10" wide 8" wheel will fit ..............

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 15 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I recently flared my 914 by pounding out the rear fenders to fit 8 inch rims. One of the measurements that I was making to be sure left and right fenders were the same was from the inner fender well to the fender. This measurement was like 11 inches with a lot of pounding.

I don't think the stock fender will give even 8 or 9 inches clearance.

The only way to put 10in rims under a stock fender is to make sure the tires never go inside the fender cavity with by sitting the car higher and real stiff spring.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 15 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #4

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:30 AM) *

Try it let use know what you find ..Then post pix and a vin # and you will me Golden.................AND (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 15 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #5

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Can't be done. I commented on that car last week, the wheels look wide, but. Of course he had to add stiffer springs - it has a V-8.

And you know he wants $25K right?. Buy a Factory 914-6 for that money and have something that is worth something.

Here is a picture of my Flared car with a 15x9. I couldn't get a 10" Gotti under a Flared car

T.C.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 15 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #6

MR.C

25K Holy chit that thing must be completey perfect in every way..Turn key ready to roll to the show and bring home 1st place
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 15 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #7

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

I see that he removed the $25K BuyItNow, but he said he has had offers above $18K

He also claims the Fuchs in Front are 9". they look like 7 or 8"s. Porsche did not make a Fuchs in a 10"

Here are some pics. The rears do look wide, but look at his underside pic, how do they fit?

T.C.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jun 15 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #8

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

I've been following the auction. 4 bids, 13hours left and sitting at 16k right now. NO reserve. Buy it now was 25K, but hey, can't blame the guy for hoping some fool would pull the switch for that price.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
513mugsy914
post Jun 15 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 15 2009, 11:32 AM) *

I see that he removed the $25K BuyItNow, but he said he has had offers above $18K

He also claims the Fuchs in Front are 9". they look like 7 or 8"s. Porsche did not make a Fuchs in a 10"

Here are some pics. The rears do look wide, but look at his underside pic, how do they fit?

T.C.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The only thing that I can figure is that car is so stiffly sprung that it can not have any suspension. From the pics of the car, it looks like the tire fits right in there. I just don't want to get everything done and say that I can run those wide wheels, nd then on the track burn the paint right off the outside of the fender. I don't know I think a little more detective work might be in order here.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 15 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #10

Racer from Birth

It obviously has an undersized tire, but still I don't see how it can be done. It's not like the car is jacked-up like a 60's HotRod or tubbed out. Like I said I've got a 9" on the rear of my 914-6 Flared car and that's all it can take. I have 2 inches more room than he has.

T.C.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mskala
post Jun 15 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #11

R

Member No.: 79

From carr914, it sure looks like the guy has 9" wheels in the rear. The tire is
skinny for that wheel, too.

On my car for autocrossing I fit a tire that is a (edit 8.6") section width in
there, with only pulling that you wouldn't be able to see. Of course, his 9" wheel
is a ridiculously wrong offset, hence admitting to 'mods'. So apparently you can
do it if all of the below are true:
a. use narrow tire thus making a 9" wheel non-useful
b. mod the trailing arm
c. pull fender a bit
d. run extremely stiff springs

It would have been better and probably cheaper to widen a smaller fuchs to get
the right offset, or just go with the 3-piece fuchs mods various people make.
+Quote Post
513mugsy914
post Jun 15 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #12

Thanks for the info. I know lots about 911's but I am fresh when it comes to 914's.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jun 15 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #13

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

absolutely no way the rears are 10".

Look at my fronts - that is a 10" wide tire. They look like steamrollers compared to the rear of that car.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jtf914
post Jun 15 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 58
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:33 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I know lots about 911's but I am fresh when it comes to 914's.

I can't tell from the underside pic, but wasn't there a guy on the old board (I think his name was Timo) who narrowed his trailing arms to fit wider wheels and tires under stock fenders???
+Quote Post
jtf914
post Jun 15 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 58
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Jun 15 2009, 02:47 PM) *

absolutely no way the rears are 10".

Look at my fronts - that is a 10" wide tire. They look like steamrollers compared to the rear of that car.

I agree they don't look like 10" rims...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 15 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #16

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 06:30 AM) *

how do you go about fitting a 10" wide rear wheel on a stock fendered 914?

You don't ...

If you get 10" to fit on a "stock" car, it won't be "stock" anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Factory 7"/9" GT flares allow you to run 9" wide wheels (hence the name 9" flares).
So you can imagine how much you'd have to stretch a stock fender to fit a 10" wheel.

Good luck ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 15 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #17

MR.C

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 15 2009, 08:32 AM) *

T.C.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Rockers and valance look silver in the underside pix and i only see 4 studs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ...but ya never know
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 15 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #18

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:33 PM) *

I can't tell from the underside pic, but wasn't there a guy on the old board (I think his name was Timo) who narrowed his trailing arms to fit wider wheels and tires under stock fenders???

He may have modified his Trailing arms, but it's not tubbed out, so the inner fender well wall would still be a problem. And if you look at the underside picture and then think that his wheels have an offset with that Deep of a dish, it just doesn't make sense. He couldn't have pulled the fender out that much.

It's also possible that those wheels were put on for that set of pictures. I remember when I put my 10" Gottis on my old Flared car - it was only for pictures, I would have torn the flares & tires apart if I had ever drivin it.

I have thought from the beginning that there was something fishy about this car - don't forget about the VIN# miscue

T.C.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 15 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 10:47 AM) *

And how exactly would modifying the trailing arm help with the available space between the car body and the fender?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

A modified trailing arms will only move the wheel relative to the fender.

It doesn't help with trying to squeeze a 10" wheel into a 8" opening ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jun 15 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #20

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

It doesn't help with trying to squeeze a 10" wheel into a 8" opening ...

can't blame a guy for trying tho, eh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 04:55 PM