Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Side shift transmision install, install 75 trans in a 72
jsaum
post Jul 4 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,809
Region Association: None

After 5 years of procrastination and 5 more of contemplation I finally started working on my 1972. I just finished the hell hole repair and am now working towards putting the engine back in. I have a 75 parts car and am thinking about installing the side sift trans in the 72 my question is it a straight swap or do I need other after market parts to make it work? Do I use the engine tin and heater stuff from the 75? Thanks for the advice!
Jsaum

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
hcdmueller
post Jul 4 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #2

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

You need the later engine mount bar and associated components, later shifter, and the shift rods that run from the shifter to the side of the trans. I think there are more things but I am not in front of my car right now so I could be wrong. There shouldn't be any changes to your heater or engine tin.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Jul 4 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jul 4 2009, 06:51 PM) *

You need the later engine mount bar and associated components, later shifter, and the shift rods that run from the shifter to the side of the trans. I think there are more things but I am not in front of my car right now so I could be wrong. There shouldn't be any changes to your heater or engine tin.

Great sounds like all of the stuff I need is on the parts car.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 4 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

You will need to use all the shift linkage (every piece, front to rear) from the '75. The only aftermarket part you will need is a special firewall bushing which you can get from Pelican Parts.
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jul 4 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,842

QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

The only aftermarket piece you need is the firewall bushing that adapts from the early to late style.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...32%29%2C%20Each
I don't know about you, but when I did the conversion I just replaced all the bushings at once because they tend to wear out and get sticky with time.
Other than that, you need the later engine mount bar, rubber mounts, shifter, and full shift linkage. All stock, late model pieces. Good luck.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
jsaum
post Jul 5 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jul 4 2009, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

The only aftermarket piece you need is the firewall bushing that adapts from the early to late style.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...32%29%2C%20Each
I don't know about you, but when I did the conversion I just replaced all the bushings at once because they tend to wear out and get sticky with time.
Other than that, you need the later engine mount bar, rubber mounts, shifter, and full shift linkage. All stock, late model pieces. Good luck.
Mark D.

Mark,
Thanks for the link, I'll get the bushing on order.
jsaum
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:46 PM