Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift transmision install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
After 5 years of procrastination and 5 more of contemplation I finally started working on my 1972. I just finished the hell hole repair and am now working towards putting the engine back in. I have a 75 parts car and am thinking about installing the side sift trans in the 72 my question is it a straight swap or do I need other after market parts to make it work? Do I use the engine tin and heater stuff from the 75? Thanks for the advice!
Jsaum
hcdmueller
You need the later engine mount bar and associated components, later shifter, and the shift rods that run from the shifter to the side of the trans. I think there are more things but I am not in front of my car right now so I could be wrong. There shouldn't be any changes to your heater or engine tin.
jsaum
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jul 4 2009, 06:51 PM) *

You need the later engine mount bar and associated components, later shifter, and the shift rods that run from the shifter to the side of the trans. I think there are more things but I am not in front of my car right now so I could be wrong. There shouldn't be any changes to your heater or engine tin.

Great sounds like all of the stuff I need is on the parts car.
Porsche Rescue
You will need to use all the shift linkage (every piece, front to rear) from the '75. The only aftermarket part you will need is a special firewall bushing which you can get from Pelican Parts.
BMXerror
QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

The only aftermarket piece you need is the firewall bushing that adapts from the early to late style.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...32%29%2C%20Each
I don't know about you, but when I did the conversion I just replaced all the bushings at once because they tend to wear out and get sticky with time.
Other than that, you need the later engine mount bar, rubber mounts, shifter, and full shift linkage. All stock, late model pieces. Good luck.
Mark D.
jsaum
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jul 4 2009, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 4 2009, 07:31 PM) *

The only aftermarket piece you need is the firewall bushing that adapts from the early to late style.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...32%29%2C%20Each
I don't know about you, but when I did the conversion I just replaced all the bushings at once because they tend to wear out and get sticky with time.
Other than that, you need the later engine mount bar, rubber mounts, shifter, and full shift linkage. All stock, late model pieces. Good luck.
Mark D.

Mark,
Thanks for the link, I'll get the bushing on order.
jsaum
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.