Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1973 Restoration, I need help navigating thru a restoration
Mary Shortridge
post Jul 31 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,616
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have my brother's 1973 1.7 Porsche. Lee was killed in a car accident in December, and my dad and I are having "Buttercup" restored in his honor, as Lee had dreamed of doing. I have several of his friends advising me, but no one has "914" experience. I have a MILLION questions, and would really appreciate any advice and help.
I want to make sound decisions on what to replace while we have the car torn apart, but after browsing the price of parts, I know I am rapidly blowing my budget.
I know I need an engine; where's a good place to buy one? GEX? I live in southwest Kansas, but have access to a trucker to bring it home.
I may need to replace the heater's muffler that is located in the rocker panel because of mice. Isn't there something I could substitute?
There are two holes in the "sail" area that appear to be filled. Was there an emblem there? I haven't found any photos of 914s with such.
I need misc. body parts... any suggestions besides ebay? Any junkyards known for such stuff?
THANKS A MILLION for any help! ~Mary
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
MDG
post Jul 31 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #2

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

The classifieds on this site are an excellent place to look for parts; practically everything - including engines - come up.

No emblems on the sails; there are small holes along the bottom of the sail panels where the trim piece clips in. Anything else would not be original - or they are rust holes that have been filled.

Good luck with your build; it's a great thing you and your dad are doing. Keep posting here - there's ton's of help to be had.

The frame bracing is a good idea with the car up on stands like that - however the jackstands up front look very over extended; CAREFUL

I have a '73 2.0 so if you need any reference pics when it comes time to reassemble just ask.

m.

oh, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Jul 31 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,566

Wow,

sorry to hear about your brother. Looks like a lot of work ahead of you but you came to the right place. Hopefully you can find a member close to you for some help. The guys here are very helpful.. Give them some time you'll have more advice than you will know what to do with.. Good luck.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 31 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #4

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

PM Sent to discuss the parameters of the rebuild and I'll try to help as possible.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jul 31 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 31 2009, 04:33 PM) *
I have my brother's 1973 1.7 Porsche. Lee was killed in a car accident in December, and my dad and I are having "Buttercup" restored in his honor, as Lee had dreamed of doing. I have several of his friends advising me, but no one has "914" experience. I have a MILLION questions, and would really appreciate any advice and help.
I want to make sound decisions on what to replace while we have the car torn apart, but after browsing the price of parts, I know I am rapidly blowing my budget.
I know I need an engine; where's a good place to buy one? GEX? I live in southwest Kansas, but have access to a trucker to bring it home.
I may need to replace the heater's muffler that is located in the rocker panel because of mice. Isn't there something I could substitute?
There are two holes in the "sail" area that appear to be filled. Was there an emblem there? I haven't found any photos of 914s with such.
I need misc. body parts... any suggestions besides ebay? Any junkyards known for such stuff?

Sorry about your brother and I wish you luck with this project. You will find this group helpful. Please use the search section. You will be amazed at the answers you can find without waiting for a reply. I am sure that if you search for GEX (for example) you will not hear a lot of positive comments.

The muffler your are referring to is a part of the heater system (in case you didn't know). Replacing this will be difficult. It is a tube with fiberglass insulation around it. It's purpose is to lessen engine sounds coming through the heater vents.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 31 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

you are not the first nor the last to come here without experience.. don't heistate to ask questions, but don't neglect the search either... the classic threads are a GREAT place to look, too.

we will do everything we can to help, just provide beer for those "on-site" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

have fun, and enjoy. you can do it. we can help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 31 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 31 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Mary,

My condolenses...

I am right down the road a piece in Wichita - I have 3 914's (one actually is licensed and driveable) and parts. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything.

GEX is tempting becuase we are so close - but let's pursue other options.

Mike Moorman
914@cox.net

+Quote Post
Mary Shortridge
post Aug 1 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #8

I have been so excited about this project, and now 914world members have taken it to a whole new level! Thank you SO MUCH for all your helpful comments. My brain is fried right now, with all the info I am soaking up. But boy, am I pumped! I'll keep you all posted on progress, and be picking your brains lots more!
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 1 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #9

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

I'd like to echo my condolences for your brother. Was he a member here?

Are you trying for a stock restoration, or are you trying for a resto-mod (changing bits of the car to suit your wants and needs, but which may not be stock).

Zach
+Quote Post
Mary Shortridge
post Aug 1 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #10

My main goal is to have a dependable driver. I want to make everything as good as possible while the car is being worked on. I had planned on replacing stuff like rubber seals, but after the heart attack on prices, I am now planning on a lot of sweat equity to spruce as much original stuff up as I can. I know you can polish plexiglass aircraft windshields, so I am going to try my hand at Porsche lenses. I am paying a bodyshop for most of the work, but want to do any little things myself that I can. My brother was not a member; he had just started enjoying the internet recently. He was an amazing craftsman with wood, and was a backyard mechanic all his life. Thanks for your interest!
+Quote Post
MDG
post Aug 1 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #11

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

There is a member named Mark on this board; he makes and sells many/most of the rubber seals; look in the member vendor section - he goes by Mikey914. Very good stuff at a fraction of the price. From the look of the car in that photo it appears relatively clean as far as rust goes. Some of your seals may be salvageable - if you have cracked and split ones you should really replace them to make sure the water stays on the outside.

m.
+Quote Post
A&PGirl
post Aug 1 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,367

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

Do you have any of the engine left (like cases, heads, jugs 'n' barrels...?) or misc. engine related parts? This really your starting point to determine what you want to do. I suggest a Raby kit or if you have a core put a Raby valvetrain kit in. In addition, you should probably have your heads rebuilt by HAM. Both Raby & HAM are topnotch guys.

Some of the metal can be obtained from Restoration Design and Auto Atlanta. Some can even be obtained from Porsche for the right price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mikey914 is your guy for the seals, bumper tops and shift knobs.

You can get a lot of stuff from hwgunner & markb in California too. They set me up pretty good with the parts I needed.

The brake rear brake calipers can be rebuilt by Eric Shea (member) who does a darn good job.

Dr. Evil can whip your transmission into shape for a decent price.

You can probably restore the interior by yourself which would save you a lot of change in that department.

Feel free to ask around for parts. Many of us have more then we need in the garage, the back porch, the sheds, the storage units, mother's sewing room...

+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 1 2009, 08:23 PM
Post #13

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

you need to see this.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

all the best

jim
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Aug 1 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #14

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I have to second the idea of buying parts used from other members and from the
vendors who are members here. You can get literally any part from people
on here and it is way cheaper than buying new. I am doing a 1973 myself
and looking back after 18 months I realize I could have saved a lot on parts.
Also, when I needed something in a hurry, then AutoAtlanta has really
been great for me, and their catalogue is like a reference manual, you can
learn a lot just from reading it.

Good luck, post lots of pictures, ask before doing anything and it will save your
wallet and your sanity.

My motto is "Everything I needed to know, I learned from 914 World."

Before:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Last week:

Attached Image

Have fun with it...

John
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 2 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #15

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

Hiya Mary. See what I mean about this site being the place to go for help with your project? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
Mike
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 2 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Sorry about your brother... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I would suggest you have kansas914 - Mike Moorman- or some other local 914 nut come over and do an inventory of what you have.

Then as you dig into this project you will have someone with first hand knowledge of your inventory and your needs.

It would be really cool to see the car finished befor the next WCR.

Here's a link. If your interested, others have used our gatherings as a goal to finish their projects. It's very inspiring. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97885

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 2 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #17

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Mary, I am sorry for you loss, but inspired by your task. If anyone can donate a core transmission, or if you have one to send I will do a free rebuild on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, once you figure out what engine you want, engine parts you have, and FI set up that you will use I would be glad to build you an engine for the price of parts. I bet the members here have spare new parts that they can donate as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Ya wandered into the right place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 2 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2009, 09:30 AM) *

Mary, I am sorry for you loss, but inspired by your task. If anyone can donate a core transmission, or if you have one to send I will do a free rebuild on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, once you figure out what engine you want, engine parts you have, and FI set up that you will use I would be glad to build you an engine for the price of parts. I bet the members here have spare new parts that they can donate as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Ya wandered into the right place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

These are the kinds of things that happen here. Mike, you are the man!
+Quote Post
Mary Shortridge
post Aug 4 2009, 06:23 AM
Post #19

I am amazed, and overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. I can't say thank you enough.
The car is a really bright spot right now in my family's life....when we really needed a bright spot.
Just for now, I'll post a photo of my brother in Buttercup, when he bought in in 1991. Parked next to him is my daughter, who was 3 at the time. Lee had found the plastic car in the trash, and fixed it all up for her. Crafted a panel, and steering wheel out of wood. New battery and wiring, and Uncle Lee was a real hero! Now Liz is getting lessons on driving a stick, so she can drive Buttercup when the car is done!
I'll post some progress photos soon. The UPS driver will be my hero when those big boxes of sheet metal show!
Thanks....
~Mary
BTW---I do have the original engine. Just trying to find someone to overhaul it, if possible, or buy a "new" one. The car has been parked since '93, and outside much of that time... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 4 2009, 08:13 AM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Aug 4 2009, 04:23 AM) *

I am amazed, and overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. I can't say thank you enough.
The car is a really bright spot right now in my family's life....when we really needed a bright spot.
Just for now, I'll post a photo of my brother in Buttercup, when he bought in in 1991. Parked next to him is my daughter, who was 3 at the time. Lee had found the plastic car in the trash, and fixed it all up for her. Crafted a panel, and steering wheel out of wood. New battery and wiring, and Uncle Lee was a real hero! Now Liz is getting lessons on driving a stick, so she can drive Buttercup when the car is done!
I'll post some progress photos soon. The UPS driver will be my hero when those big boxes of sheet metal show!
Thanks....
~Mary
BTW---I do have the original engine. Just trying to find someone to overhaul it, if possible, or buy a "new" one. The car has been parked since '93, and outside much of that time... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Hi Mary,

Many of us will watch your progress with interest. You have a touching story. There are some true 914 enthusists here that like to see these cars saved. We all know the cost of fixing your brothers car will out weigh it's market value in short order. If we can help off set the cost a little let us know. Many members here have parts sitting waiting to be put back in use.

A couple questions:

You state you have the engine: can you take a picture of it for us so we can see how complete it is?

Does it have it's original Fuel Injection or has it been converted to carbs?

Look for the block number located on the crank case near the oil filler. This should tell us what type of engine you have.

You say your getting sheet metal. I assume your body shop placed an order. One caution, If they ordered directly from Restoration Design the order may take awhile. The make the panels and the business is always backed up. I have never ordered from them but others here have. It sounds like you eventually get your parts but they are slower to send them than others.

I think you will find the journey rewarding. There are many 914 events across the country. Many owners attend without bringing their cars. You will find here, it's about the cars, but it's also about the people.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:44 PM