Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Welding helmet recomendations, Need a new helmet
Porcharu
post Aug 21 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

My auto darkening helmet just died and I need a new one. I have been looking for a few years at the nicer ones that have variable darkening. Anyone have a helmet they really like and would recommend to others? After looking around I think I want one that uses a battery plus solar - my eyes hurt right now. The old helmet was about 12 years old so I know they make much better ones these days.
Thanks
Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
tat2dphreak
post Aug 21 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have an adjustable Auto Darkening that I got at Harbor freight... I really like it, actually... I know HF makes some crap, but this has been a great Helmet!
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Aug 21 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #3

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

I LOVE my Jackson EQC from Cyberweld.com. 100% reliable. I've had mine for about 8 years now with no problems. I tried more expensive helmets first and they couldn't touch the EQC.

http://store.cyberweld.com/jaeqcproauda.html

Includes free shipping.
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Aug 21 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

I got a Hobart from Northern Tool a few months ago , on sale for $79.99 , reg $99.99, thought it was a great deal . All solar powered and such, saw the same helmet at Tractor Supply last week- $59.99 !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Pissed me off ,, oh well I really do like my helment , been welding all of 3 months now , gettin better all the time , yeah right !! No sense in giving up , got keep goin if ya want anything.

Jaxdream
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 21 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #5

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I recently upgraded my cheap helmet to a Speedglas auto darkening (forget the model off-hand). Got it off Craigslist for cheap. Nothing like a tool that works exactly as it should.
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Aug 21 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,446

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I second the Harbor Freight, I have found them effective and consistent. I have bought three; nephew, nephew, me.
I haven't had a moment (to compare side by side) with a better brand and would welcome anyone with a comparative reflection.

These were on sale every few months at $49. (currently on sale today-)
They are adjustable and solar only- no battery.
Thanks- jzn
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 21 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I have the Optrel Satellite. I used to use the HF helmet. The HF is pretty good and you can't beat it for the price. But going back to the HF temporarily is where I really noticed the difference. The HF is MUCH harder to dial in to a perfect shade. When I was teaching to someone to weld, they had the HF and I couldn't understand why they kept complaining about seeing the melt pool. Then I traded helmets with them, and they got better, and I couldn't see crap.

The downside? It's almost $400.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Aug 22 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have a couple of HF helmets and they work pretty well (for me), at least compared to an old school non-darkening helmet.

My dad complained about the flash and had a hard time seeing with it, so it probably goes with McMark's statement of a really good helmet.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Aug 22 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 21 2009, 07:39 PM) *

I have the Optrel Satellite. I used to use the HF helmet. The HF is pretty good and you can't beat it for the price. But going back to the HF temporarily is where I really noticed the difference. The HF is MUCH harder to dial in to a perfect shade. When I was teaching to someone to weld, they had the HF and I couldn't understand why they kept complaining about seeing the melt pool. Then I traded helmets with them, and they got better, and I couldn't see crap.

Hmm very nice - I forgot to mention that I wanted to upgrade and not just replace. My old helmet was a pretty good Huntsman unit, but I often find it hard to see the weld and it's too dark when 'off'. That Optrel has some nice features - the ability to read the red leds that the new welders have is pretty nice. I just need a new welder that has leds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I have also been looking at the Miller elite series. Similar to the Optrel but more widely available at a discount.
Steve
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 22 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I got a Speedglass and have never wanted anything else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JazonJJordan
post Aug 22 2009, 05:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,446

Point well taken; so goes my neverending list, now a little longer...with another helmet on the Christmas list (sigh)...~you know~ all this expertise and advise is making me poor(!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but better! Thanks for the helping nudge~ (sigh) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 21 2009, 10:39 PM) *

+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Aug 23 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 22 2009, 04:35 PM) *

I got a Speedglass and have never wanted anything else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I 'wasted' a lot of time on line yesterday and this seems to be a common opinion of Speedglass helmets - they are the good stuff. I think I am going to spring for the 9100XX, this is the one with the extra big lens and they are all on sale until the end of the year. I hope this helps with the low power tig welding that I have always struggled with because I can barely see the puddle, it also switches to dark 8 times faster than my old one and that can only be a good thing for my eyes.
Steve
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 23 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #13

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You will not be disappointed with the quality of a Speedglas no matter what model. I use mine for everything from MIG to TIG. It's like most tool purchases; you don't know just how much better a high quality tool is until your cheap one breaks and you upgrade. Then you wonder how you got by without it for so long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Aug 24 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 23 2009, 01:24 PM) *

You will not be disappointed with the quality of a Speedglas no matter what model. I use mine for everything from MIG to TIG. It's like most tool purchases; you don't know just how much better a high quality tool is until your cheap one breaks and you upgrade. Then you wonder how you got by without it for so long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I don't doubt this at all. I am way past buying cheap tools - I would rather do without than have some POS that will break when I need it most. I still use a good file to fit tubing because I can't see spending the bucks for a good tube notcher - yet.
Steve - trying to come up with $$$ for a new welding helmet. I am using an old school non auto darkening helmet while my AD helmet is down and it sucks! Makes welding much harder than it should be.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 24 2009, 02:39 AM
Post #15

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

I just got flash blinded by a POS helmet that came with my Hobart. Gave it the float test and bought a Jackson Master Variable EQC.

Worth the $$, I value my eyesite. No deals on eBay....I checked first. $250 locally.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Aug 31 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #16

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

I bought a new helmet this weekend and I thought I might share my experience. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby auto darkening helmet to replace a cheap HF auto darkening. I bought the HF unit a few years ago. Well it appears the battery in the HF helmet went bad. Even though its "solar" I think it still has an internal Li-ion battery. The helmet wouldn't switch on my welding arc any more. The Miller helmet takes a AAA, and is replaceable.

I thought about buying a Speedglas, but after looking at the 9100x its really more helmet than I need. It had lots of features, I just don't need. And, the lower 100 series Speedglas had the internal battery too.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/weldin...ts/prohobby.php

+Quote Post
charliew
post Aug 31 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

If you weld two or three times a week and do stick, mig and tig inside and outside you can't spend too much on a welding helmet. I bought one of the first millers about 17 years ago and it's still good but the new ones are much better. I originally bought the jackson to weld the framework of my shop together and it was great for the stick welding outside but after about 7 or eight hours inside with a wirefeed mig on pretty high amps it makes my eyes a little scratchy. On sheetmetal it's ok and on little tig welds it's good but on thicker aluminum with the tig it's also a little too light. It's not adjustable. I think I remember it is a 8 on darkness. I like a big window and it has one. I also have a regular hood that has a magnified lens that I sometimes use on the small tig welds. I guess I need to see whats new.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 7 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #18

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) ...another for reference...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Sep 7 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #19

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

How much are your eyes worth?
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Sep 7 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 9,080

Gotta Put in a plug for the Miller Digital Elite....Jerry
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:54 PM