Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HE problem/opinion
markwemple
post Apr 11 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,380
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The guy who replaced my HEs used the old gaskets. Now, one side, I can't remove the old gaskets and on the other, one bent and pulled a stud. I hate this Fing design and am about to just go back to 911s exclusively. A completly BS design!!!!!!!

Can I use the old gaskets w/o having a major leak?

I am seriously pissed at this thing. Been working on theis for about 6 hours now. About as long as it takes to do a quick rebuild on a type 1.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Apr 11 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

You can pull the gasket, its a copper gasket, just use a pick, like the dentist uses...

The studs come out, its part of a 40 year old aluminum head that has heat cycled alot,,,,and if on was already replaced it could remain loose.

The next step would be to get a stepped stud and a bottom tap to make the hole larger in the head.
Just what happens when DAPO and aluminum meet face to face.

The heat exchangers tend to warp over the 40 year period..on thing you should verify is that the two mating flanges....the part that contacts the head are flat and on the same plain..
This is simple and can be done with a file and a straight edge.
This little process will save you alot of grief.

The lining up of the Heat exchangers is simple but I have found you Must do it this way.

On the rear, just hang the heat exchanger on the bracket with no muffler. I tend to ream out the mounting tabs a bit to get you some wiggle room when putting the HE onto the head.

Torque down both HE's to the head (after you ensure they are flat) and get those mounted securely.

then and only then should you hang the muffler.
I find that with the car on stands, I can use my knees to hold up the muffler while bolting it all in.
Tighten and re-tighten the muffler to HE connection...it may leak on the first try, but a few good cranks when its hot will fix it in a moment..so stay in the coveralls for the initial drive...you will need to tighten it once more.

If all of that really pisses you off, get a Chris Foley header with stub pipes and you will LOVE IT.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 07:00 AM