Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HE problem/opinion
markwemple
post Apr 11 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,380
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The guy who replaced my HEs used the old gaskets. Now, one side, I can't remove the old gaskets and on the other, one bent and pulled a stud. I hate this Fing design and am about to just go back to 911s exclusively. A completly BS design!!!!!!!

Can I use the old gaskets w/o having a major leak?

I am seriously pissed at this thing. Been working on theis for about 6 hours now. About as long as it takes to do a quick rebuild on a type 1.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Apr 11 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Lets start with NO..
Dont use 3m anything...for them, it will create a leak.

The HE's need to be flat. put a long straight edge on them to make sure they are on the same plain. Use a large file to true them up so you dont do to much...just a little bit.

Ream out the loops that the studs go through so you have wiggle room.
The nuts are copper, you need new ones, they MUST be 12mm or you wont be able to get a socket on them.
No washers under the nuts, the correct nuts have a flange/built in washer.
If you put in longer studs you may have an issue on the tight one towards the rear....the longer stud may hit the tube, so measure carefully.

Torque is not that much, it seem to recall 25lbs..
If no one chimes in, I will look in the haynes manual under the torque specs in the engine section...its there.

Dry fit them without the gasket..
If you have reamed out the holes, and the HE are flat and not twisted, they should slip on and off...then get comfy and balance the gaskets on top of the tubes and slip is all in...that is how I do it...

What i mean is that I get it lined up, on and off a few times...(the rear bolt is on and loose...the bracket is loose also....its just holding the wieght at this point.
When you can slip them on...no pounding, you are ready.
Then you pull them off just a hair..slip the gaskets in and push them up...all done.
Once you do this once...you will understand why we dont like to take them off...so you tend to learn how to work around them...lol

I have often thought about making stub pipes for stock HE's to have the best of both worlds...but who has the time.

Honestly, if you do it right...and realise that you will move and tighten them a few times...just be prepared for that....you wont take them off for a long long time. There really is no need to remove them unless you are pulling the head.

Be patient, it does fit.
Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 07:17 AM