Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HE problem/opinion
markwemple
post Apr 11 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,380
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The guy who replaced my HEs used the old gaskets. Now, one side, I can't remove the old gaskets and on the other, one bent and pulled a stud. I hate this Fing design and am about to just go back to 911s exclusively. A completly BS design!!!!!!!

Can I use the old gaskets w/o having a major leak?

I am seriously pissed at this thing. Been working on theis for about 6 hours now. About as long as it takes to do a quick rebuild on a type 1.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
markwemple
post Apr 12 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,380
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Update:

I used a combo of ideas posted and given. I purchased a curved pick to pull the gaskets and that worked great. Using a cobo of ideas on the gaskets, I decided to use a bead of Automotive Goop around the perimeter of the gasket, doing my best to ensure that none gets on either face, and stuck the gaskets in place. I reamed out the flanges where the studs go through and mounted the one HE in place. It all went well but I won't know how well 'till all is in place.

I will check their tightness at 18 ft/lbs.

I next have to deal with the other side. The real PITA is that after checking the pulled stud, I believe the nut may have bottomed on the threads of the stud so I will have to pull all of them and re-install and then time-cert the last one. I could not find a stepped stud that was long enough.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:00 AM