Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trailing Arm Flange Bolts - HELP!, How do you get these removed?
vesnyder
post Aug 26 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

Ok - I've read several articles about how to remove the rear hub to replace the bearing and they never show how they removed the flange bolts behind the hub? I would think the hub comes off first but the pics I've looked at the flange bolts are removed before they pull the hub off. Access to the bolts seems impossible (al leat with the tools I have?) with the hub on - HELP!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914Sixer
post Aug 26 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

The home version for me is to take a 30mm impact socket and a short 1/2' extension and drive the hub out from the rear. I try and soak the hub with PB Blaster for 24 hrs to help it along. Once the hub is out you can remove the 4 bolts to get to the rest of the bearing. Some times you will have to use a bearing spliter remove the front half of the bearing from the hub. To install the new bearing, clean the hub out and polish the inside with some steel wool. Keep the new bearing and the clean hub in the freezer for 24 hrs. Coat the inside of the hub and outside of the bearing with antiseize and place in the center of bearing hub. Take the bearing cover plate and place it over the bearing. Then take 4 longer bolts and tighten them down in a X pattern about 2 turns at a time. Take your time and the bearing will go in slowly and seat correctly. When about 1/4 of bearing is out switch over to your final bolts. To install hub, treat it with antisieze on both the hub and inside of bearing. Note the inside of the bearing is in two pieces. Line hub up in the center and press gently into bearing. Lake the stub axle and push it in from the back side. Place nut WITHOUT LOCKWASHER on stub axle. I use a 1/2 inpact and let the stub axle pull the hub into the bearing
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 10:25 PM