Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question about Suby ECU in a swap
jasons
post Sep 19 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

I know its possible to swap an NA EJ25 SOHC using the factory ECU. Renegade sells a "Speed Sensor" kit. I think it bolts to the output of the transaxle. Is this required or optional?

I'm trying to understand the ins and outs of these swaps because I think they are interesting. I know a swapper could go aftermarket, Link or Stinger or whatever. I'm curious how much work it is to go with the factory ECU.

BTW, I've looked at most of the threads that are relevant. None of them really give a play by play on using the factory ECU. Just intimidating pictures with lots of wires.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DBCooper
post Sep 19 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

$1750 for that e-bay motor is way too much, you should be able to get a complete non-turbo 2.5, 2000 or newer, complete with harness and all, for $1000. That one's being sold with the column as well, which may mean it has the immobilizer. No problem if you're using an aftermarket ECU, but something to avoid if you want to use the stock ECU.

Do a search for threads with '"speed sensor" subaru vw conversion' or somehting similar, because I think there's a way to fool the stock Subaru sensor with magnets glued to the transmission output flange. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was a cleverly simple idea. The stock ECU is free, so if you can spend time stripping out wires it's a great deal. If you can't or don't want to do that then you can pay Smallcar $300 dollars or something to do it for you. There are a couple of other companies who do it as well, so do a search. Still cheap, so that shouldn't be what holds you back.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Sep 20 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #3

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 19 2008, 10:37 PM) *

$1750 for that e-bay motor is way too much, you should be able to get a complete non-turbo 2.5, 2000 or newer, complete with harness and all, for $1000.

Not that I've seen, at least shopping through front door sources like ebay, car-part.com, etc. I don't want to argue with you, I do want you to be right. But, what I see for $1k are usually DOHC motors. I'll keep my eye on CL or upullit type yards.

The few I've found locally through car-part.com were around $1600 w/ 28k miles, no ECU, no AC, No Alt. Thats why that ebay one looked attractive. If I were to put a radiator in a 914, I want to put a condensor in too. I would like to be able to daily drive the car, and in AZ its just not possible without AC

But That one's being sold with the column as well, which may mean it has the immobilizer. No problem if you're using an aftermarket ECU, but something to avoid if you want to use the stock ECU.

Good point, and I wonder if that motor has the throttle by wire?

Do a search for threads with '"speed sensor" subaru vw conversion' or somehting similar, because I think there's a way to fool the stock Subaru sensor with magnets glued to the transmission output flange. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was a cleverly simple idea.

Yeah Dana kind of described the same thing above. I just wouldn't want it to be a hack job.

The stock ECU is free, so if you can spend time stripping out wires it's a great deal. If you can't or don't want to do that then you can pay Smallcar $300 dollars or something to do it for you. There are a couple of other companies who do it as well, so do a search. Still cheap, so that shouldn't be what holds you back.

Actually I think I just saw smallcar charges $650 for that service. I would do it myself. That kind of stuff doesn't scare me, actually I enjoy it, if I have the right information.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:54 AM