Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Question about Suby ECU in a swap
jasons
post Sep 19 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

I know its possible to swap an NA EJ25 SOHC using the factory ECU. Renegade sells a "Speed Sensor" kit. I think it bolts to the output of the transaxle. Is this required or optional?

I'm trying to understand the ins and outs of these swaps because I think they are interesting. I know a swapper could go aftermarket, Link or Stinger or whatever. I'm curious how much work it is to go with the factory ECU.

BTW, I've looked at most of the threads that are relevant. None of them really give a play by play on using the factory ECU. Just intimidating pictures with lots of wires.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DBCooper
post Sep 20 2008, 07:25 AM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah Car-Part is always more expensive, but their advantage is that they're usually local and you can negotiate those prices when you're face-to-face. Or even on the phone, just tell them you're interested but don't want to make the drive all the way over unless they can give you a complete engine and be a little flexible on their asking price.

I just went through the current e-bay listings and you're right, no other SOHC 2.5 there right now, but keep looking. They've been there in the past and I'm sure will be in the future. Two other places to try, first craigslist (use www.crazedlist.org to search cities around where you live, too). And do a google search for "jdm subaru engine" or something like that and go through the advertising companies that are listed on the right of the page. Some have prices on their web pages, others don't, and some of those engines come with ECU's and the harness, others don't, so be sure to ask.

Lastly try Outfront and Gruppe-S (http://www.gruppe-s.com). They might have engines in stock (Gruppe-S anyway, you need to call), but if they don't they can probably steer you to someone else who does. There are a bunch of JDM importers in the LA area.

Just from curiosity, why do you want only the SOHC? I know the head gasket problems with the 2.5 DOHC, but that's pretty easy to fix and those DOHC engines are all over and really cheap. Worst case, if it needs a new head gasket every 75-80K miles how long will that be with the miles you drive every year? By then you'll be wanting to put batteries in the car for an EV conversion anyway, that or at least there'll be SOHC motors all over the place and cheap as chips.

I'm also PM'ing you a list of other links to try. They aren't all sorted out, but there is wiring harness and lots of other info there that will come in handy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:02 AM