Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Strut Identification Help, Anyone know this strut
MikeSpraggi
post Sep 23 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I purchased some parts from a 914 racer a few years ago that included a pair of 911 front struts. The number on one of the strut bodies is 90134108410. Anyone know what year/model 911 this is from?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Richard Casto
post Sep 23 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #2

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

That part number is listed in the 70-73 911 PET. I am not very good at understanding some of the cryptic info listed in PET. The description for that part is...

"spring strut s-caliper -koni- see classic ti 8/93" Your number is for the right hand side. It also looks to be for the 72-73 911 T/E/S. I don't understand what they mean by "spring strut" as it shows a spring on the strut in this diagram (is this a racing coilover setup?) I also don't understand what the "see classic ti 8/93" means either.

You can view/download the PET catalogs for various models/years here...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...tspdfcatalogue/
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 23 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 23 2008, 10:19 AM) *

...It also looks to be for the 72-73 911 T/E/S. I don't understand what they mean by "spring strut" as it shows a spring on the strut in this diagram (is this a racing coilover setup?)

Boge. "to 1971"

This is the infamous "hydropneumatic" strut.

junk.

sorry...
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Sep 23 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Sep 23 2008, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 23 2008, 10:19 AM) *

...It also looks to be for the 72-73 911 T/E/S. I don't understand what they mean by "spring strut" as it shows a spring on the strut in this diagram (is this a racing coilover setup?)

Boge. "to 1971"

This is the infamous "hydropneumatic" strut.

junk.

sorry...

There are two lines in PET with the same part number. I missed that they had the same number and was focusing on the second one. I had looked at the first and figured "hydropneumatic" because of the weird spring thing, it was Boge (creator of the hydropneumatic strut) and it was listed as used on 911E (only car that had the hydropneumatic strut??). I am confused as to why the second line has the same part number, but says Koni and 72-73.

I know that hydropneumatic a-arms are junk (no way to use torsion bars), but I wonder if it possible that you can remove the guts from the strut, use a Koni insert and with the correct gland nut make a working strut? If so, I wonder if maybe Porsche had some stock left over from the 911E mess and used some of those struts in 72-73 but with Koni inserts???

(Mike, beware that I am making this up as I go and at this point just curious as to why PET lists what it does the way it does. Rich/ArtechnikA is probably right)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 23 2008, 09:37 PM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 23 2008, 10:29 PM) *

There are two lines in PET with the same part number. I missed that they had the same number and was focusing on the second one. I had looked at the first and figured "hydropneumatic" because of the weird spring thing, it was Boge (creator of the hydropneumatic strut) and it was listed as used on 911E (only car that had the hydropneumatic strut??). I am confused as to why the second line has the same part number, but says Koni and 72-73.

I know that hydropneumatic a-arms are junk (no way to use torsion bars), but I wonder if it possible that you can remove the guts from the strut, use a Koni insert and with the correct gland nut make a working strut? If so, I wonder if maybe Porsche had some stock left over from the 911E mess and used some of those struts in 72-73 but with Koni inserts???

(Mike, beware that I am making this up as I go and at this point just curious as to why PET lists what it does the way it does. Rich/ArtechnikA is probably right)

well - my PET doesn't have two identical part numbers, so clearly there's -some- confusion ;-)...

a 901.341.084.10 is indeed a right-side '72+ S (3,5" brake saddle..) Koni strut.
(the confusingly similar 901.341.084.01 is the Hydropneumatic.)

Okay - so a .10 is *not* junk as long as you like Koni dampers.

I donno if you could use a hydropneumatic for any other kind of coilover.

I -thought- the HP struts also had 3,5" brake saddles because I thought E's had aluminum calipers (originally) but I'm pretty fuzzy on that. I do believe (perhaps mistakenly, but it's my current belief...) they had S calipers because I recall several sets of them being sold off by 'E' owners who had to somehow finance a new set of A-Arms, torsion bars, and dampers when the OEM HP stuff shat the bed...

But this is another reason why E's typically have no antiroll bars - the HP spring/dampers had a rising rate and therefore progressive antiroll characteristics. One more thing E owners hadda go buy to bring the cars up to the S spec they shouldda bought originally ;-)...

I've attached my PET picture with part numbers - I'd love to see one that shows multiple parts with the same number...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:15 AM