Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Dash Pad Cleaning, Pat, et al;
kconway
post Sep 9 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

I picked up a nice dash pad recently that has zero cracks but is pretty dirty. I'd hate to clean it up just to see it crack before my eyes. Any suggestions on cleaning/preserving techniques before I do damage?

Thanks,
Kev
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rjames
post Sep 23 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #2

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

We can discuss various treating goos that most everyone has after it's installed,

Pat, ya big tease!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Sep 23 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 23 2008, 09:32 AM) *

We can discuss various treating goos that most everyone has after it's installed,

Pat, ya big tease!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

C'mon pat, humor those of us who might be one step ahead of Kevin in this process... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 23 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 23 2008, 06:20 PM) *

C'mon pat, humor those of us who might be one step ahead of Kevin in this process... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

OK, OK!

Remember the peanut butter on the rubber thread? I tried it! Got a serious tongue rash, because I'm a peanut butter freak.

That aside, the cure for the dashpad is.........chicken fat! Boil up a couple of birds & scrape off the fat. Let it harden a bit & then rub it all over the dashpad. You may want some grits to go with it, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Seriously.......I actually ONCE put Armorall on my dashtop (many years ago). It went straight to the windshield on a warm day - not recommended. Don't even ask me about the time I put it on my seats before an autocross!

I've used Meguiars Intensive Protectant, and hear that Griot's has a better product. But let's discuss the real problem here - loss of plasticizers.

There is no product I'm aware of that will replace those boogers, and those are the guys that keep the plastic/vinyl pliable.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't protect a dashtop forever. When the plasticizers go south, the material gets brittle. You can improve its appearance, but it will eventually crack. My first top cracked in the garage, when it was only 7 years old. My current one is now almost 30 years old, with no cracks yet, but any day......

Is there a mystery brew to renew the loss of plasticizers? Haven't heard of one.

If my 914 were a driver, I'd keep a cheap dash cover on it. Might help, might not.

Nope, no mystery cures here.

How about you guys?

Pat
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Sep 28 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #5

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 23 2008, 11:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Sep 23 2008, 06:20 PM) *

OK, OK!

Remember the peanut butter on the rubber thread? I tried it! Got a serious tongue rash, because I'm a peanut butter freak.

That aside, the cure for the dashpad is.........chicken fat! Boil up a couple of birds & scrape off the fat. Let it harden a bit & then rub it all over the dashpad. You may want some grits to go with it, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Seriously.......I actually ONCE put Armorall on my dashtop (many years ago). It went straight to the windshield on a warm day - not recommended. Don't even ask me about the time I put it on my seats before an autocross!

I've used Meguiars Intensive Protectant, and hear that Griot's has a better product. But let's discuss the real problem here - loss of plasticizers.

There is no product I'm aware of that will replace those boogers, and those are the guys that keep the plastic/vinyl pliable.

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't protect a dashtop forever. When the plasticizers go south, the material gets brittle. You can improve its appearance, but it will eventually crack. My first top cracked in the garage, when it was only 7 years old. My current one is now almost 30 years old, with no cracks yet, but any day......

Is there a mystery brew to renew the loss of plasticizers? Haven't heard of one.

If my 914 were a driver, I'd keep a cheap dash cover on it. Might help, might not.

Nope, no mystery cures here.

How about you guys?

Pat

I believe the use of Armorall is a known product that most Concours people will avoid.
The product made by the makers of Lexol leather care products, known as Vinylex, is a much better alternative. I have used this for nearly 20 some years, and have never had a dashpad crack or turn ugly with warping or discoloration.

John Paterek, the Porsche Concours Guru, heartily recommends the use of this product......just look at the cars he has that he uses these products on !

If not mistaken, the Vinylex product uses a different approach to preservation. I believe I was told a number of years ago, the consistency of their recipe, differs greatly from the competition. The oily look does not become a permanent part of your dash.....it has a very different look to it when put on, dried off, and does not shed the vinyl vapors up and onto your glass like the others.

Great stuff.....I do believe of everything else I have used, this is by far the least likely to do damage. IN FACT, it seems to be the most likely to restore, beautify, and preserve an old dash, other than a complete recovering would.

Gp to Panorama magazine, or to Excellence if you cannot find it locally at an autoparts supply house. A company that sells to all Porsche people, called Car Care Specialty Products ?, and advertises in both magazines , is a good source for Vinylex. They are on the east coast.

Best Wishes on the preservation of another teener !
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th June 2024 - 01:25 AM