Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Bilstien Struts for Creamsicle, Not listed on COA
914Sixer
post Dec 8 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Where the Bilstien struts stock on the LE? There seems to questions in my mind. On Jeff's info on the Rennlist it says they came with them? One car is known to have had Koni's. Should they be listed on the COA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 9 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Mark, I am not 100% positive on the Bilstein shocks being stock on all LE cars, at least not all LE cars.

One important distinction is whether or not we are talking about Bistein front housings or just Bil inserts. The rears of course either are Bils or not. If we are talking about front Bil housings, that is one thing, if it is only Bil inserts in Boge housings, that is different.

Some sources of info I have on the issue state that Bilsteins were part of the LE package, not all sources mention it. You note that the COAs do not indicate it, I think that may be a clue...Bilsteins would be an important item to a buyer and it would have made sense for the factory to promote it and list them on the COA or even the window stickers...they did not. I think of the similar issue of several sources presenting the 'grasshopper' color scheme, which has proven to be not true, as confirmed by Porsche themselves. I think it is possible that the Bilsteins on all LEs may be a similar condition...marketing hype or early media speculation....some LEs may have had them, others almost certainly did not, I don't think it was universal. Maybe it is as simple as standard (Boge) front housings, with Bilstein inserts on the front...which would explain alot. If the Bilstein housings came on all LEs across the board...most if not all LE cars today would still have them and that is not what I have observed. I doubt that most owners would go to the trouble to switch out the front housings, especially not a switch from the Bils to Boge, would make no sense. I should update the LE website on this issue.

Of the several LE cars I believe to be original cars with original equipment, most have Boge front strut housings. A few LE cars that I know of, including my Bumblebee have black front struts with a green top cover...I do not recall seeing a makers mark on them...and I have not opened them up to verify the insert. The rears on my BB are definitely green Bilsteins. I have yet to see a set of all green Bilstein front strut housings on an LE and I usually look...Although I believe you Dave...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
914Sixer   Bilstien Struts for Creamsicle   Dec 8 2008, 08:28 AM
tod914   nm   Dec 8 2008, 10:28 AM
rdauenhauer   I cant be positive but my Creamcicle came w/ Boge ...   Dec 8 2008, 06:59 PM
davep   My LE has the green Bilstein struts on the front, ...   Dec 8 2008, 07:24 PM
Jeff Bowlsby   Mark, I am not 100% positive on the Bilstein shock...   Dec 9 2008, 09:52 AM
tod914   Did the cars with the green housings have sway bar...   Dec 9 2008, 12:13 PM
Jeff Bowlsby   All LEs I have seen have sway bars F&R, withou...   Dec 9 2008, 12:15 PM
Johny Blackstain   All LE's have factory swaybars as standard equ...   Dec 9 2008, 01:51 PM
914Sixer   Good info. The Bilstien inserts I have for Boge s...   Dec 9 2008, 05:43 PM
davep   Al, please get a good photo of that ink-stamp on t...   Dec 9 2008, 07:18 PM
Johny Blackstain   Al, please get a good photo of that ink-stamp on ...   Dec 9 2008, 10:35 PM
rdauenhauer   Al, please get a good photo of that ink-stamp on ...   Dec 9 2008, 09:18 PM
davep   Yes. What is the significance? I don't know ...   Dec 10 2008, 06:11 PM
tod914   I have those on mine as well. I'll post some ...   Dec 11 2008, 12:10 AM
sendjonathanmail   I have a good ink stamp on my '74 2.0, I'l...   Dec 11 2008, 09:15 PM
davep   See if all of you can take some detailed pictures,...   Dec 12 2008, 08:04 PM
tod914   See if all of you can take some detailed pictures...   Dec 13 2008, 11:29 AM
9146986   Green Bilstein front struts   Dec 13 2008, 04:22 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 12:19 AM