Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> RPM's for stock Pushrods?, How high before you need to upgrade
justme
post Jan 31 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,413
Region Association: North East States

So.....

How high can you go for regular use with stock pushrods? The 1911 I'm putting together should see 5500-6000 rpmon a somewhat regular basis.
Is this ok or do I need chromoly rods?
What are the advantages of going with steel?

Thanks,
Phil
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jake Raby
post Jan 31 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

What dictates the omission of stock pushrods is the fact that they can't be utilized to alter valve train geometry when one of the 11+ variables that dictate the geometry are altered..

I have used stock pushrods in engines that turned 7,000 RPM back when I was too dumb to realize the risks.. Yes I had failures, but there isn't much I haven't broken over the years.

You should view my camshaft and valve train presentation, then you'lkl understand component compatability better and why the stock pushrods create compromise.

The general rule with valve train is "Overkill Engineering" is the best policy, when valve train parts fail its really nasty and with no apparent symptoms prior to a boom that could make your engine look like Hiroshima inside.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:07 PM