Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Odometer Question
kenshapiro2002
post Jul 26 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,598
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My "new" 1970 914 has a working speedo, but the odometer isn't working. The seller said it's most likely an internal gear that he's seen folks replace rather easily. Any experience out there on this one? Also, the trip odometer isn't working and the reset button seems not to exist. It's not under the dash.
???
Ken
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ejm
post Jul 26 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #2

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

The gear usually does not need replacement. The fix is to disassemble the head and knurl the shaft where the gear is so the shaft turns with the gear as it did when new. The trip counter should work once the odometer is fixed. The reset is a knob not a button. Should be under the dash to the right of the steering column and the knob will only turn one way.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Jul 26 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,598

I swear...I have no knob either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
Ken

QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 26 2009, 06:50 PM) *

The gear usually does not need replacement. The fix is to disassemble the head and knurl the shaft where the gear is so the shaft turns with the gear as it did when new. The trip counter should work once the odometer is fixed. The reset is a knob not a button. Should be under the dash to the right of the steering column and the knob will only turn one way.

+Quote Post
jsaum
post Jul 26 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,809
Region Association: None

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 26 2009, 06:42 PM) *

Ken

The knob is attached to a shaft with a flat on it which is attached to a cable going to the trip counter. It should be under the knee pad to the right of the stering wheel. If it's not there reach up and see if you can feel the cable it may be up under the dash. I just pulled mine apart and got it working it was rusted and wouldn't turn.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jul 26 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 26 2009, 09:52 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 26 2009, 06:42 PM) *

Ken

The knob is attached to a shaft with a flat on it which is attached to a cable going to the trip counter. It should be under the knee pad to the right of the stering wheel. If it's not there reach up and see if you can feel the cable it may be up under the dash. I just pulled mine apart and got it working it was rusted and wouldn't turn.

Follow this Pelican technical article.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm

I just did it two days ago and it worked very well. Take your time and follow it step by step. Don't bother trying to glue the pot metal gear on...use vice grips (just tightening them a little at a time) on the hole of to pot metal gear to deform it until is fits snugly onto the shaft. You can test it's operation with a small jewlers screwdriver in the drive shaft gage.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 03:58 AM