Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odometer Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
My "new" 1970 914 has a working speedo, but the odometer isn't working. The seller said it's most likely an internal gear that he's seen folks replace rather easily. Any experience out there on this one? Also, the trip odometer isn't working and the reset button seems not to exist. It's not under the dash.
???
Ken
t collins
I had the same problem and was able to fix, go to Pelican Parts a d you'll find step by step instructions.
ejm
The gear usually does not need replacement. The fix is to disassemble the head and knurl the shaft where the gear is so the shaft turns with the gear as it did when new. The trip counter should work once the odometer is fixed. The reset is a knob not a button. Should be under the dash to the right of the steering column and the knob will only turn one way.
kenshapiro2002
I swear...I have no knob either. WTF.gif
Ken

QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 26 2009, 06:50 PM) *

The gear usually does not need replacement. The fix is to disassemble the head and knurl the shaft where the gear is so the shaft turns with the gear as it did when new. The trip counter should work once the odometer is fixed. The reset is a knob not a button. Should be under the dash to the right of the steering column and the knob will only turn one way.

jsaum
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 26 2009, 06:42 PM) *

Ken

The knob is attached to a shaft with a flat on it which is attached to a cable going to the trip counter. It should be under the knee pad to the right of the stering wheel. If it's not there reach up and see if you can feel the cable it may be up under the dash. I just pulled mine apart and got it working it was rusted and wouldn't turn.
kenshapiro2002
I was thinking the same thing...gotta get out there, on my back, with a flashlight!
Ken

QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 26 2009, 09:52 PM) *

Ken

The knob is attached to a shaft with a flat on it which is attached to a cable going to the trip counter. It should be under the knee pad to the right of the stering wheel. If it's not there reach up and see if you can feel the cable it may be up under the dash. I just pulled mine apart and got it working it was rusted and wouldn't turn.

saigon71
QUOTE(jsaum @ Jul 26 2009, 09:52 PM) *

Ken

Follow this Pelican technical article.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm

I just did it two days ago and it worked very well. Take your time and follow it step by step. Don't bother trying to glue the pot metal gear on...use vice grips (just tightening them a little at a time) on the hole of to pot metal gear to deform it until is fits snugly onto the shaft. You can test it's operation with a small jewlers screwdriver in the drive shaft gage.
ClayPerrine
First off.. if the car was ever air conditioned, the cable will have been removed from the dash and allowed to dangle. With AC, the cable is obstructed in the original location.

Second, the gear could be broken, you won't know until you get in there and look. But it is not likely.

Third,

NEVER reset the trip odometer while you are moving. This is what causes the gear to strip in the odometer. The reset locks the numbers and that causes the gear to slip on the shaft, breaking the odometer.

lotus_65
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 26 2009, 05:50 PM) *

agree.gif
i'm doing this (knurling the shaft) tonight, as opposed to the method on the pelican site.

how did this happen?
NEVER reset the trip odometer while you are moving.

stromberg.gif
shit

Betty
"NEVER reset the trip odometer while you are moving. This is what causes the gear to strip in the odometer. The reset locks the numbers and that causes the gear to slip on the shaft, breaking the odometer."

He speaks the truth... voice of stupid experience here.... headbang.gif

Really sucks if you're driving in a rally. There's no resetting of the trip odometer unless you're at a stop sign or traffic light.
70Sixter
QUOTE(Betty @ Sep 1 2009, 12:11 AM) *

"NEVER reset the trip odometer while you are moving. This is what causes the gear to strip in the odometer. The reset locks the numbers and that causes the gear to slip on the shaft, breaking the odometer."

He speaks the truth... voice of stupid experience here.... headbang.gif

One more stoopid voice of experience here.
VaccaRabite
Sounds like the only stoopid were the engineers that designed the system to fail with intended usage.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
Actually not stupid at all, considering who was paying them. It's called planned obsolescence.

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 3 2009, 09:53 AM) *

Sounds like the only stoopid were the engineers that designed the system to fail with intended usage.

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.