Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> steering wheel in '74 914, options for replacing steering wheel
elowe88
post Aug 24 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,720
Region Association: Central California

So I recently inherited my fathers '74 914. I'm 6'6" and the steering wheel is a little too large for my legs. I had a similar problem in my '74 super beetle, but I easily swapped the wheel for a smaller aftermarket one. I have looked into Grant steering wheels but I have no idea which adapter to find (I can't find it anywhere). I am also wondering if the splines and basic geometry of a 914 hub are similar to a VW's. Since I don't have the car yet, I'm wondering if anyone has put an INEXPENSIVE smaller wheel in their car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jaxdream
post Aug 24 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

The correct Grant adapter number is 3565 , I have used these in the past . they are for 72 up VW bettle , Karman Ghia which VW used the upper steering wheel mount , turn signal , wiper switch from . There may be somee adjusting to close the gap between the steering wheel hub and the column top, this is achevied by adjusting the allen head bolt that clamps the column head to the column. You also need to loosen the 4 column bolts to aloow the column head to slide up or down as needed to get the right gap that will work the horn contact. There are some good looking Grant wheels out there , not the MOmos or Dinos , but perfectly functional and just as good looking ( my personal opinion , not a professional ) . I have installed a grant wheel in 2 different 914 , the flaps will not have a listing for a 914 , but will have one fora VW Bettle and such, as I listed above that is the Grant part number for the adapter , I have one new in the box on the shelf, paid some where in the area of $15.00 for it , YMMV . Being that your 914 is a 74 , ask for one for the 74 Bug.
Good hunting , they can be had ,if not in hurry check the evilBay , Grants all over there !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

VW built the 914 and used what they were using in the Bettle , Karmann Ghia - column mount , turn signal switches , wiper switches even the cancel / horn contact ring with the three scews under the hub - same as Bug etc.

Jaxdream
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:16 AM