Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> rust removal, prep help
Gigamight
post Sep 21 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,454
Region Association: Middle East

Well I am coming along with getting the floors and interior stripped of paint, tar, and rust. However, I am having trouble getting into the tight spots and I'm not sure what to use. Is there a thread that covers this, or can someone give a newb a tip? Specifically, I am having a lot of trouble around the e-brake handle attachment area and where the e-brake cables enter the firewall. I have used a grinder with a wire wheel for almost the whole thing so far and I have made tremendous progress, but now I am stumped on how to proceed.

I have never done anything like this, so I have no experience in this type of thing.

Help...

Tips?

suggestions.....

Please.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JazonJJordan
post Sep 21 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,446
Region Association: South East States

The grinder-wire wheel works but is pretty frustrating on anything tight or round.

Vacca Rabite's advise on chemical solutions is effective, just get the right compound and protect yourself (very well-fumes too-).

I have had incredible success with "sand" blasting and now soda blasters. Sand blasting throws these abrasives against the wounds like liquid sand paper- so to speak. They work great! Sadly, "sand" blasting released silica crystals causing a lung disease if not very well protected. Soda seems to be ok. It is a hard media that removes paint, rust, scale and such. Steel beeds, glass beeds, even crushed walnut shells are used to polish soft items like glass and wood. Blasting leaves a factory looking finish that is like a casting surface. Very nice satin and even. A high flow air compressor is required to effectively do quicker work and a commercial unit built onto a trailer (like the ones you may see attached to jack hammer equipment) can be rented for a couple hundred dollars for a day. You could blast 20 cars in one day (good luck!) and split the cost to cheap. Blast media is reusable by spraying on plastic and against a half open car canopy like tent or just a tarp tented by rope ties to trees. Suck it back up with a shop vac and screen it and blast again for free. Look up "sandblasted" on google images and you will be impressed. It is easy to do. Harbor Freight supplies cheaper sets and the pressurized blasters are effective but the cheaper ones are much slower. Enjoy! Jazon- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 07:08 AM