Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Best CW Way to Add Gauges?, I'd like to add VDO Head Cyl. Temp. & Oil Pressure Gauges
Tom_T
post Nov 4 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

What, where & how would be the best way to add some supplemental Gauges to my early-73 2L's restoration?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'd like to add the small 2-1/16" VDO Head Cylinder Temperature & Oil Pressure Gauges for the 914s, & have looked at VDO's 2-hole gauge bracket.

However, I don't know if that will look decent, if I really want to drill to do an under dash mount of it to the L or R of the Wheel? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I also don't want to cut-up the center console with some hincky 5 gauge face! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I also want something that will pass CW muster! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Given the age of my 914 now & the fact that I'm resurrecting it from a 24+ year slumber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif) - I think she's deserving of more monitoring than the factory provided, since I'll be driving it around some too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Any suggestions, examples, pix, etc. which could help me???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
Replies
Scott S
post Nov 4 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Easy on the cyl head temp - not so much on the oil pressure.

The head temp sender is easily hidden by the FI components. Run your wiring inside the factory sleaving and the into the center tunnel loom. Run it all the way up front to the pedal cluster/foot board. Install a plug so it can be disconnected at that point and tucked under the carpet at the top of the foot board.
The actual gauge/holder is the easy part. You can use the two holed generic mount with one additional bracket. The additional bracket needs to be bent so that it creates a mounting point that is parallel with the bottom inner dash structure (or the inner vertical dash face) and also creates the appropriate lower mounting surface for the gauge holder. Get yourself a decent sized magnet and epoxy it to this new bracket. Hopefully the diagram below will make this a bit easier to understand.
Run your wiring from the gauge to the plug and call it good. If and when you show the car, unplug the thing, hide the one end of the wiring under the foot board carpet (there is a pile of room - something to note so you dont have to change the length of the thermocouple wire) and pull off the gauges. Your gauges are out, and there is no wiring that any judge will ever find.

We have gas gauges in two cars done this way - it has worked like a charm and sure beats carrying a gas soaked stick with you.

The pressure gauge will be tough, as the sender is large and will most likely have a hose going to the block - very noticable.

If there are open holes on the bottom edge of the dash it is even easier to attach the 2 guage panel - just a good old fashoined wing nut.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:07 PM