Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Electrical Questions
saigon71
post Dec 12 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am going through the electrical system on my 74 914 2.0. Overall, it is in decent shape, but I could use some guidance in a few areas:

1. Turn signals work fine, but dash indicators for turn signals do not. The dash indicator lights consistently light once when the hazards are truned on, but I get nothing when the turn signals are used.

2. A red light on the dash blinks all the time. There is writing similar to this - ((( ))) on the light. If I understand correctly, this is the brake warning light. What causes this thing to flash?

3. Fuel gauge only registers fuel in the tank when the headlights are turned on.

4. There is a temperature gauge in the center console - see attached picture. Is this oil temp? The needle on the gauge moves when power is applied, but the temp never increases. My guess is that the sending unit is bad but I wanted to get another opinion before testing mine and/or ordering one.

Attached Image

Thanks.

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Spoke
post Dec 12 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

Sounds like your car is the same as many 914s here. At least it's not blowing fuses all the time.

Solve these issues one at a time. I usually determine the worst one or the one that bothers me the most and focus on that one until resolved, then move to the next most bothersome issue.

The turnsignal indicator failure is a common issue that can be solved with a new flasher relay.

The red flashing light is the brake warning light as mentioned above. The light goes on if the brake master cylinder warning switch is set or the emergency brake handle is up or the e-brake switch is bad.

There is allegedly a reset button on the brake master cylinder that can be reset. You can check this by pressing the button (I've never seen the buttom myself) and see if the light goes out. You can always remove the wires on the MC to see if the light goes out. If it does, then there is something wrong with the MC. If it doesn't go out when you remove the wires, it is the e-brake switch.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Dec 12 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 12 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Sounds like your car is the same as many 914s here. At least it's not blowing fuses all the time.

Solve these issues one at a time. I usually determine the worst one or the one that bothers me the most and focus on that one until resolved, then move to the next most bothersome issue.

The turnsignal indicator failure is a common issue that can be solved with a new flasher relay.

The red flashing light is the brake warning light as mentioned above. The light goes on if the brake master cylinder warning switch is set or the emergency brake handle is up or the e-brake switch is bad.

There is allegedly a reset button on the brake master cylinder that can be reset. You can check this by pressing the button (I've never seen the buttom myself) and see if the light goes out. You can always remove the wires on the MC to see if the light goes out. If it does, then there is something wrong with the MC. If it doesn't go out when you remove the wires, it is the e-brake switch.

The Master Cylinder button is hard to see even when looking at it. ( it is behing the boot that cover the wires even then it is low profile)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:18 PM