Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I am going through the electrical system on my 74 914 2.0. Overall, it is in decent shape, but I could use some guidance in a few areas:

1. Turn signals work fine, but dash indicators for turn signals do not. The dash indicator lights consistently light once when the hazards are truned on, but I get nothing when the turn signals are used.

2. A red light on the dash blinks all the time. There is writing similar to this - ((( ))) on the light. If I understand correctly, this is the brake warning light. What causes this thing to flash?

3. Fuel gauge only registers fuel in the tank when the headlights are turned on.

4. There is a temperature gauge in the center console - see attached picture. Is this oil temp? The needle on the gauge moves when power is applied, but the temp never increases. My guess is that the sending unit is bad but I wanted to get another opinion before testing mine and/or ordering one.

Click to view attachment

Thanks.

Bob
GeorgeRud
I'm not sure about the turn signal lights, but the flashing brake light is usually caused by the switch not activating correctly. It's located under the emergency brake to the left of the driver's seat cushion. Try to push it in with your finger to see if that causes the light to go out. Sounds like it just needs some cleaning/adjustment.

The temp guage may not move much (I don't remember my 74 too well). You can check the sender (found under the engine screwed into the small round plate (taco plate) by immersing it in boiling water and see where 212 degrees shows up on the guage.

There are wiring diagrams (actually current flow diagrams) posted on the Pelican Parts that should be helpful in tracing the circuits.
wallys914
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Dec 12 2009, 07:11 PM) *

3. Fuel gauge only registers fuel in the tank when the headlights are turned on.

LOL blink.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif
detoxcowboy
You have got some issues there..

Center console is an oil temp gauge.. Sender is probably suspect.. But could be the wiring,.. follow the wire from the taco plate to the gauge, some times people make there own connection and center console get screwed around with or even added after purchase so check that 2 also checke ground wire too but usually w/ no ground then the needlee pegs the other way.. suspect the gauge last but do not rule it out.. ..

Brake Warning Light should not flash but when lighted constantly with the ebrake off.. singals Brake Failure and there is a reset button on your Master Cylinder after you investigate the cause..

Fuel Level should work all the time and is an easy 3 wire from sender to gauge set up.. there is a sighn on the rear of gauiges that look like a "ground" sighn but it is actually the sender symbol..

Your turn signals work on the out side?? Hazards too?

Has this situation always been like that or just occured recently?

If recently then somehting shorted or came loose ect.. If always then someone has been "home schooling themselves" and gave up..

I would tackle it one at a time..
saigon71
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 12 2009, 10:47 PM) *

You have got some issues there..

Center console is an oil temp gauge.. Sender is probably suspect..

Brake Warning Light should not flash but when lighted constantly with the ebrake off.. singals Brake Failure and there is a reset button on your Master Cylinder after you investigate the cause..

Fuel Level should work all the time and is an easy 3 wire from sender to gauge set up.. there is a sighn on the rear of gauiges that look like a "ground" sighn but it is actually the sender symbol..

Your turn signals work on the out side?? Hazards too?

Has this situation always been like that or just occured recently?

If recently then somehting shorted or came loose ect.. If always then someone has been "home schooling themselves" and gave up..

I would tackle it one at a time..

Turn signals and hazards work fine on the outside.

I bought the car in March and have just started diving into the electrical system. So for me, the situation has always been like this.

Thanks
detoxcowboy
You will get it right, Just will take some fiddling and learning.. THe back of the gauges check how your turn siganl indicator grounds.. some ground on a jump wire ground others right to the gauge body.. depends on what bulb holders are being used.. could be they got switch mixed around easy to do if you take out all the gauges then later forget what goes where.. good luck it is really not a bad situation plus there is good learning there..

Check pelicans part electrical diagram (top is power bottom is ground..) you will get to know at the very least the color wires are for what ect.. though after a year of no issue syou will forget them again..
Spoke
Sounds like your car is the same as many 914s here. At least it's not blowing fuses all the time.

Solve these issues one at a time. I usually determine the worst one or the one that bothers me the most and focus on that one until resolved, then move to the next most bothersome issue.

The turnsignal indicator failure is a common issue that can be solved with a new flasher relay.

The red flashing light is the brake warning light as mentioned above. The light goes on if the brake master cylinder warning switch is set or the emergency brake handle is up or the e-brake switch is bad.

There is allegedly a reset button on the brake master cylinder that can be reset. You can check this by pressing the button (I've never seen the buttom myself) and see if the light goes out. You can always remove the wires on the MC to see if the light goes out. If it does, then there is something wrong with the MC. If it doesn't go out when you remove the wires, it is the e-brake switch.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 12 2009, 09:19 PM) *

Sounds like your car is the same as many 914s here. At least it's not blowing fuses all the time.

Solve these issues one at a time. I usually determine the worst one or the one that bothers me the most and focus on that one until resolved, then move to the next most bothersome issue.

The turnsignal indicator failure is a common issue that can be solved with a new flasher relay.

The red flashing light is the brake warning light as mentioned above. The light goes on if the brake master cylinder warning switch is set or the emergency brake handle is up or the e-brake switch is bad.

There is allegedly a reset button on the brake master cylinder that can be reset. You can check this by pressing the button (I've never seen the buttom myself) and see if the light goes out. You can always remove the wires on the MC to see if the light goes out. If it does, then there is something wrong with the MC. If it doesn't go out when you remove the wires, it is the e-brake switch.

The Master Cylinder button is hard to see even when looking at it. ( it is behing the boot that cover the wires even then it is low profile)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.