Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Autocross & Motorcycle helmets, The same? Different?
Rusty
post Feb 23 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I've been reading all the info I can about how to select a motorcycle helmet. Apparently, not all helmets are equal, and my head is worth far more (to me) than whatever I invest in a helmet. Within reason, cost is not an issue on this safety piece.

While looking around, I realized that many were Snell rated. So, does this mean that my motorcycle helmet can pull double duty as an autocross helmet?

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
RocknRollFrenzy
post Feb 23 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,305

a few things to think about when buying helmets: (in no particular order)

1. a cheap helmet has to pass the same impact tests as the expensive ones, however the expesive ones generally manage to pass those test with a lot less weight and bulk. on a bike this translates to a lot less of a beating on the noggin from wind. in a car it means a lot less force on the neck when you get thrown against your harnesses. you also tend to get nice things like removeable pads for the extra cash. makes it easier to keep the helmet from getting stinky. bike helmets also tend to have slighty heavier, thicker shells because they have to protect against the abrasion of sliding on pavement as well as impact.

2. an often overlooked difference between motorcycle helmets and car helmets is the venting. the vents on most car helmets are usually really open and free flowing because its assumed that you're behind a windshield. the vents on bike helmets tend to be smaller and rely on forced air flowing in the front and out the back to create their air circulation (which is why they fog when you're stopped and clear as soon as you're rolling). motorcycle helmets in cars tend to get really stuffy and fog easier, and you'll probably find yourself needing to leave your visor open a little.

3. another overlooked difference is that many car helmets are now made with attachment points for head and neck restraints. bike helmets wont ever have this (though you you could add fittings to a motorcycle helmet the same way you would to a car helmet that doesn't have them built in.) if you're planning on doing wheel to wheel racing at some point definitely take this into consideration.

4. do you actually ride a motorcycle? if you do, and you need the helmet to serve double duty till you can get a car specific helmet, then get a motorcycle helmet. if you don't, then why not just spend the few extra dollars for the sa rated helmet. chances are that you'll find yourself having to get one eventually anyway if you start doing a lot of track days.

5. all other things considered, the most important thing is fit. if it doesn't fit, it won't work.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Lawrence   Autocross & Motorcycle helmets   Feb 23 2004, 10:12 AM
Jeroen   Depends on the organisation you're AX-ing with...   Feb 23 2004, 10:27 AM
Demick   Check with the organization that you autocross wit...   Feb 23 2004, 10:31 AM
indydad   I did a "Track Attack" event here and my Simpson S...   Feb 23 2004, 10:33 AM
fiid   Motorbike helmets are designed for "One Big Hit". ...   Feb 23 2004, 10:33 AM
davep   I haven't needed a helmet recently, but for al...   Feb 23 2004, 10:48 AM
Dave_Darling   Often the motorcycle helmets have wider eyeports t...   Feb 23 2004, 12:48 PM
itsa914   I plan to go looking for a helmet in the next week...   Feb 23 2004, 12:49 PM
!   If you are in a warm climate...the open faced ones...   Feb 23 2004, 12:54 PM
Greg   One other accessory you may want to purchase if yo...   Feb 23 2004, 01:10 PM
Demick   It's always good to be safe, BUT... A well ru...   Feb 23 2004, 01:26 PM
RocknRollFrenzy   a few things to think about when buying helmets: ...   Feb 23 2004, 02:56 PM
TimT  
  Feb 23 2004, 03:57 PM
KenH   Be sure you can locate the SNELL sticker in the he...   Feb 23 2004, 03:58 PM
TimT   gratuitous helmet pic LOL   Feb 23 2004, 03:59 PM
aufaber   My semi annual use the search feature post: http:...   Feb 23 2004, 04:19 PM
!     Feb 23 2004, 04:25 PM
rdauenhauer   Hmmm as I read these response, I was a little ammu...   Feb 23 2004, 05:27 PM
rdauenhauer   Oh .. one more thing I own 7 helemts: Street MC fu...   Feb 23 2004, 05:31 PM
anthony   I don't think heat is a huge issue in AX becau...   Feb 23 2004, 08:51 PM
!   You haven't been to the clusterfuck they call ...   Feb 23 2004, 09:13 PM
Bleyseng   Hmm... I run at the PCA events up here and they ar...   Feb 23 2004, 10:04 PM
Lawrence   Thanks for all the good info. Yes, I ride, but no...   Feb 24 2004, 04:40 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:53 AM