Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> DMV-Car is out of the system, What does it take to register?
Andyrew
post Feb 2 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looking at a car thats out of the DMV system and wondering if anyone has registered a car out of the system in CA.

Any input?

Thanks!
Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
shoguneagle
post Feb 2 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #2

shoguneagle

Group: Members
Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Hello Andyrew

taking a chance to say hello by robbing the thread. Glad to see you are still involved with the 914s'.

You should not have any problems if you have a title. Not having a title gets a little sticky on procedure but not a problem if you take the time and follow DMV procedures. The suggestions above are all good; if you do not have a good title then it becomes a problem of perfecting title and determine car status with DMV.

Try to get one with a good title (pink slip). This is the cleanest and then have Cal DMV run a check on their system to determine if it is listed. If it is listed on their system and NOT covered by a Statement of Nonoperation, then the fees become quite large.

If you have a good title and it IS NOT on their system, then the appropriate paper work can be gotten from DMV. Always try to get a statement from the seller that the car has not been on the road for however long (min five years in Cal). There may be other requirements that have changed but check with DMV to determine their requirements. If the pink slip has not been signed off by previous owners before the current seller, there is a procedure you must follow including sending certified letters to all prior owners last known address; if the certified letter is returned unopened, do not open it. Take them along with the appropriate papwe work to the DMV. Now you are perfecting ownership title.

The last but not least is not having a good title and/or not on DMV System. A car in this status can take several different paths including problems which you cannot anticipate. Try not to go into this category, but if you do you can get a tilte and eventual registration. I usually start with a nortized bill of sale or appropriate paperwork obtained from DMV. This can get dirty, but also it can be very clean; alot depends on the former owner working with you. Try to stay away from this category, but if you really have to have the car, say a 914-6 body, then it can be done. I know because I have been down this path both dealing with California instate and out-of-state.

Again, Hello and glad to see you still involved with the 914.

Send me an e-mail if I can help you.

Steve Hurt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:33 PM