Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Targa seal install?, How to get it in right. Any tricks?
JRust
post Feb 20 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so I am ready to install my new windshield targa seal. I started to feed it down the drivers side & only get a few inches down before it doesn't want to feed. I don't want to put anything on there lube wise that might degrade the seal. So what do you use?

Also any other tricks on how you did yours? Does that screw come from under or over. Damned if I can remember (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
detoxcowboy
post Feb 20 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

Feeding it is one way, works well almost all the way if your have new chrome channels and new seals.. I do and still lined it up w/ one side in where it supposed to fit in length nicely then inserted the other side channel 1 dull screwdriver length at a time.. no lube required..
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 20 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 20 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Feeding it is one way, works well almost all the way if your have new chrome channels and new seals.. I do and still lined it up w/ one side in where it supposed to fit in length nicely then inserted the other side channel 1 dull screwdriver length at a time.. no lube required..

yeah we tried that for years and then finally transitioned to the straighten the channel and use the silicone grease as they guys pinched too many seals using a less than dull screwdriver and slipping sometimes and scratching the paint on the windshield frame!!!!!!
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post Feb 20 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 12:13 PM) *

yeah we tried that for years and then finally transitioned to the straighten the channel and use the silicone grease as they guys pinched too many seals using a less than dull screwdriver and slipping sometimes and scratching the paint on the windshield frame!!!!!!

that is a possibilty but i found it easier then again I took my time.. I just found that some of the seals appear to be ment to slide but in reality better one small section at a time..
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 20 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 20 2010, 01:56 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2010, 12:13 PM) *

that is a possibilty but i found it easier then again I took my time.. I just found that some of the seals appear to be ment to slide but in reality better one small section at a time..

Like the top side seals........... IMPOSSIBLE to slide in!!!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:07 PM