Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> California registration transfer from out of state, Inspection needed? Smog?
Andyrew
post Mar 10 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

So Im looking at a 74 914 and its currently registered out of state, What will it take to get it registered in CA? Will I need to take it for an inspection? Will I have to get it smogged?

Thanks guys.
Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ConeDodger
post Mar 10 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

CA DMV looked at the windshield VIN and told me something was wrong. Not enough numbers they said. Then, they checked something and said it was ok... BUT... and this is a huge but not to be confused with a huge butt - if it is a salvage title from out of state, they send you to CHP who take it into some stall out of your sight and inspect it to make sure it wasn't rebuilt with stolen parts. You also have to get a Brake and LIght inspection if it was salvage titled.

California is kind of still stinging from having to pay back all of the out of state fees they charged in the '90's. Had to pay back $400 + interest to everyone who brought in an out of state car and was charge for it. A Billion or so if I recall correctly.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 10 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2010, 04:24 PM) *

CA DMV looked at the windshield VIN and told me something was wrong. Not enough numbers they said. Then, they checked something and said it was ok...

Yeah Rob - they were probably under 30 & don't comprehend that VINs weren't always umpteen digits & letters long! ... probably asked an older supervisor who knew WTF was old school! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I got a similar first reaction when I called in to DMV to see if my VIN/Plate was still in their records or data base .......... "Huh? .... What's the rest of it???" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

At least our younger Teeners here know what a proper 70's VIN looks like! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 09:59 PM