Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How reliable is the 914?, in no specific condition
buhs914
post Mar 23 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Not So Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,478
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was just curious at the reliability of the 914. I know currently mine isn't but that's because i'm still ironing out the kinks the POs caused. But what about you guys and your 914s?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
buhs914
post Mar 24 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Not So Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,478
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 23 2010, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(buhs914 @ Mar 23 2010, 10:33 AM) *

I was just curious at the reliability of the 914. I know currently mine isn't but that's because i'm still ironing out the kinks the POs caused. But what about you guys and your 914s?

I couldn't afford a new 914 while in college 70-74, nor shortly after with the rising prices on them 75-76 while the performance was worse due to added smog controls. So after I graduated & had a good job, I got a 3 yr old 73 2.0 in Dec. 75 with 45k on it as 2nd owner, & drove it as my only DD 12/75 - 5/85 up to 172k - kept it well maintained by a Porsche/VW factory trained German mechanic & did a rolling resto/overhaul 80-83 to the tune of $6500 ($20k+ today just with inflation & not counting NLA pricing!) - when a sorority ditz not paying attention rammed it in a parking structure while I was in MBA classes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

So it's been on blocks in my SoCal garage since then, until I started working on repairs & resto recently. Everything will get refreshed & all electrical & soft parts replaced - but the parts availability & cost today are the big things. .... & I've got about 25 years of "deferred maintenance" to catch up on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

It was a great DD 75-85 everywhere rain, shine, snow (ski trips), etc. Hopefully it will be a great driver again when the in progress resto is done, if at a reduced use, since I'll have 3 cars (all classics btw) & office at home! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you keep up on it, then you won't have as much cost & other issues as I do, as the others above have stated! If it's a solid 914, then I'd stick with it if you can, then when you're out & working & can afford a second DD - you can semi-retire to less than daily & more just for fun driving! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

BTW - 914 parts are much easier to come by at a better cost, than for a same period 911/912 - which is why so many tail-dragger poofters get 914's for AX, race & DD use - not to mention that our 914s will run circles around 911s/912s in most cases! Also, keep in mind that many 914 parts are the same on VW 411, 412 & Bus ones - depending upon the part & model 914 vs. the VWs - so you can often save some coin by getting the equivalent VW part through a VW source.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 23 2010, 02:34 PM) *

If it's paid for either store it or work on it yourself. It's an easy car to work on and lots of free help -- and an occasional free part -- from us. Find Harbor Freight for cheep tools, real all of the technical posts on World and Pelican, get a Haynes manual, and you can do anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I sold my 914 out of college and now kick myself years later.

QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 23 2010, 08:51 PM) *

I think they are darned reliable.

After all, how many of todays modern cars are reliable enough to last 35 years???

Quality- works good....
Reliability- lasts long....

haha well it looks like i'll be holding on to my 914! I'll just fix up the not-as-important-for-daily-driving-but-still-needs-attention-areas little by little as i progress through college. Now all i have to do is find a damn job! IDK why it's so freakin hard to get one out here...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:58 AM