Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Painting question, color coat is too soft to sand
Gudhjem
post Apr 4 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

I've begun painting my car, panel-by-panel, starting with the trunk lid.
I'm using Interlux Bridghtsides paint. Yes, I'm rolling it on, mostly because I don't have a large compressor and because I am hoping to avoid all the mess of spraying in my garage.

I spent a few days patching holes (luggage rack once upon a time I think), and spent a few days putting on a few coats of primer. Sanding the primer was no problem, and I've now started with the color. Problem is, when I try to sand the paint, it sticks to the paper. There's no dust created, the paper just gets clogged right away. It's as if the paint's not dry. The can says leave it at least 16 hours, I've left it 28, and it's not cold in California.

Anyone know what's going on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

--Steve

Here's before primer
Attached Image

After Primer
Attached Image

Sanding Block after trying to color sand
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Gudhjem
post Apr 4 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for all the replies.

Why would I use a single part polyurethane marine finish on my car, and not an automotive finish? Because all the info I could collect indicated that if I were not going to spray, the Interlux boat finish was best. It wasn't cheap, in fact probably cost about as much as good automotive paint, but the word on the forums where people discuss roll-on paint jobs is that this is the best one. It's supposed to be the logical improvement from the Rustoleum so-called $50 paint jobs. Part of the supposed advantage over Rustoleum is that, ulinke Rustoleum, this polyurethane can be painted over without the need for fully stripping. I was not aware that it did not have the hardeners that automotive paints have, or that it in general did not have the same wearability, or that it would stay gummy. In fact, this is exactly the opposite of the experiences posted by dozens of anonymous users. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

My point was not to save time. I expect this method would take significantly MORE time than spraying, particularly considering the extra wet-sanding that would be required to get a decent finish. I also didn't do it to save money, at least that was not an important part of it. I did it because spraying creates a mess. I doubt any of you guys with tons of experience but without a booth can argue otherwise. I've done enough of it to know the fumes WILL get from the garage to the house. I also would have to buy a compressor, and woudl be limited to 110v, which means I couldn't even buy the one I would really want (that would allow me to set up a media blaster as well).

Why not let a pro do it? Two reasons: 1) I'd have to fully strip and prep the whole car at once, which means way more time with the car out of commission - I prefer to work on things a bit at a time where possible; and 2) Whenever possible, I want to do it myself. It's the same reason I've never taken my 914 to a mechanic in the 14 years I've owned it. I enjoy driving a car that I keep running and I restore and I upgrade.

I didn't go into this haphazardly. I get why several of you replying think that, since you are of the firm (and it appears correct) opinion that my roller job will not work. I must have spent dozens of hours reading about the best way to go about this before starting, including reading every post I could find on this board about painting (including everything I could find written by Scotty B.).

So, that's a long-winded way of explaining how I got here. I tried sanding the trunk again today with pretty much the same, paint-is-too-soft, result. I may give it another day or two and try again, but based on what I'm reading in these responses, I'm not optimistic.

The good news is that I started with the trunk because it's easy to start over on it. All I've lost is the week I spent priming and painting, whereas most of my bodywork and prep will still count. I may have to just give in a buy a proper compressor (hopefully I can get a good enough one in 110v) and deal with the mess.

Thanks again for all the replies. This forum is, as always, a huge help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

--Steve
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 4 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Gudhjem @ Apr 4 2010, 05:13 PM) *

Thanks for all the replies.

I was not aware that it did not have the hardeners that automotive paints have, or that it in general did not have the same wearability, or that it would stay gummy. In fact, this is exactly the opposite of the experiences posted by dozens of anonymous users. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Thanks again for all the replies. This forum is, as always, a huge help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

--Steve

Steve,

The key word is anonymous users. I have read about the roller jobs too. The british car forum where I hang out had a guy or two try this also. From what I read the guys that do this have little to no experience with any of the paint products they use. They are not the guys you want to take advise from.

Again, You will be able to roll acrylic enamel with a high temp reducer and hardner. (high temp reducer will slow the dry time and allow "some " flow out. You will be able to cut and buff the finish.

The paint won't care how it's applied. It doesn't know if it's sprayed or rolled. Only you will know when the paint is ruff as a cobb and full of trash from the roller process. It will dry the same as if you sprayed it. So it will sand and buff the same.

Also, If I rolled a car and sanded it and buffed it I would tell everyone that it looks show quality. But the truth is compared to what? Most likely the answer will be compared to the next guys rolled on paint job. Or when confronted the guy would say " well it's show quality for a rolled on job!"

The reason paint is applied with spray equipment is it is easier to control the end result. Rolled paint will never be trash free. Chunks of lint are bi-product of the process.

If you want to continue to roll the finish do yourself a favor and at least use car paint.

Good luck!
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Gudhjem   Painting question   Apr 4 2010, 12:21 AM
ConeDodger   Are you supposed to use a hardener? I don't th...   Apr 4 2010, 12:25 AM
Gudhjem   Are you supposed to use a hardener? I don't t...   Apr 4 2010, 12:48 AM
messix   are you wet sanding?   Apr 4 2010, 12:54 AM
Racer Chris   From what I read after a google search, it should ...   Apr 4 2010, 01:21 AM
wrightee   I used this paint quite a few years ago, but on a ...   Apr 4 2010, 06:19 AM
rick 918-S   Boat paint is formulated with an elastic property ...   Apr 4 2010, 07:31 AM
jd74914   BTW: You will notice the finish will chalk and re...   Apr 4 2010, 08:23 AM
scotty b   :hang: It's a car not a boat :alfred: When you...   Apr 4 2010, 08:40 AM
Lennies914   I have seen marine paint professionally applied, o...   Apr 4 2010, 08:49 AM
9146986   I'll 2nd Scotty on this. You are trying to sa...   Apr 4 2010, 10:35 AM
realred914   cure time of teh primer is very important before y...   Apr 4 2010, 11:10 AM
burton73   You would have been better off with a Wagner power...   Apr 4 2010, 12:54 PM
Gudhjem   Thanks for all the replies. Why would I use a sin...   Apr 4 2010, 04:13 PM
rick 918-S   Thanks for all the replies. I was not aware that...   Apr 4 2010, 05:57 PM
quikshft   Well my hat is off to you for giving something dif...   Apr 5 2010, 03:14 PM
7TPorsh   Check my build thread. I rolled....big mistake. en...   Apr 5 2010, 03:54 PM
Rob-O 1167   That thread link doesn't seem to work...   Apr 6 2010, 06:53 AM
7TPorsh   Here is a shot of the car after the first roll. Ca...   Apr 6 2010, 04:31 PM
underthetire   Believe it or not, a guy here thinned rustoleum pa...   Apr 6 2010, 05:14 PM
7TPorsh   Maybe it's an enamel vs. polyurethane thing.   Apr 6 2010, 05:19 PM
r_towle   I want to do a roller job, just to see if I can ma...   Apr 6 2010, 06:48 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:51 PM