Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Reasonable transaxle alternative?
quikshft
post Apr 5 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,408
Region Association: None

Guys I’ve been hanging out here for a while just learning a little bit about the 914 and have been captivated with the Subaru swaps, especially those which are utilizing the Subaru transmission converted to a ‘transaxle’. While I could thoroughly enjoy building a car with a Subaru drivetrain I’d be even more enthused about building up a Dodge SRT-4 powered 914. It seems to me the Subaru ‘transaxle’ could be well suited to a multitude of engine choices if there were adapter plates and such to mate them together. Am I crazy? Has anyone else here considered this possibility and if so what swaps have you discovered that have a chance of working?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
pcar916
post Apr 5 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Is that a Lola?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

A transaxle is just a transmission that includes a differential and maybe space for a clutch package as well. That said, the 914 is a very flexible car when it comes to mods. Lots of space to do it.

The mods from one transaxle to another usually have to do with the ring and pinion flip (or running it upside-down) if it comes from a front wheel drive car, how to shift it, how to bolt it up to a motor and how to attach the axles... and sometimes how to keep them cool.

Dude, you can do ANYTHING. It depends on how handy you are and how much money you are willing to spend for the stuff needed to build what's in your head. The more labor you do yourself the better.

For many of us it's not how much power we have at our disposal but how a particular powerplant will change the inherently wonderful handling characteristics of a mid-engine car. Low is good... lower is better.

Personally I like GOBS of power and I like it low, so I stick to flat sixes. But I've driven outstanding and quick 4's that almost took my breath away. I'd have a good four in a minute.

They're so light that the ability to flick it through a turn is paramount. I want to feel the skin on my face pulling sideways in turns... yeah, that's it.

Good luck with your search for the right combination!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:15 AM