Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Reasonable transaxle alternative?
quikshft
post Apr 5 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,408
Region Association: None

Guys I’ve been hanging out here for a while just learning a little bit about the 914 and have been captivated with the Subaru swaps, especially those which are utilizing the Subaru transmission converted to a ‘transaxle’. While I could thoroughly enjoy building a car with a Subaru drivetrain I’d be even more enthused about building up a Dodge SRT-4 powered 914. It seems to me the Subaru ‘transaxle’ could be well suited to a multitude of engine choices if there were adapter plates and such to mate them together. Am I crazy? Has anyone else here considered this possibility and if so what swaps have you discovered that have a chance of working?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
turboman808
post Apr 5 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Lots of the audi, vw and porsche stuff is interchangable. Boxster tranny with a vw gti would work.

Doesn't someone have a audi bi turbo with a boxster trans?
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 5 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 01:36 PM) *

Lots of the audi, vw and porsche stuff is interchangable. Boxster tranny with a vw gti would work.

Are you sure about that? I think the boxster has the 5-6 cylinder bolt pattern and not the 4 cylinder pattern.
+Quote Post
rohar
post Apr 5 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,685
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Apr 5 2010, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 5 2010, 01:36 PM) *

Are you sure about that? I think the boxster has the 5-6 cylinder bolt pattern and not the 4 cylinder pattern.

The Boxster has ONLY the 5-6-8 cyl bolt pattern, the 4 cyl is very different. That said, the O1E Audi transmission is almost identical to the boxster tranny (uses the exact same shifter hint hit) but it has facilities for both bolt patterns and can be had for as little as $200 lightly used.

Not sure what kind of GTI the pp was suggesting, but an 8 valve on these trannies would be interesting as they've got a bit more grunt in the bottom and lower redline than their 16v and 20v cousins.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:39 AM